HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Boy's survival from flesh...

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 04:04 PM

Boy's survival from flesh-eating bacteria deemed a miracle by his family - and the pope

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/20/9588670-boys-survival-from-flesh-eating-bacteria-deemed-a-miracle-by-his-family-and-the-pope

By James Eng, msnbc.com

Jake Finkbonner is bouncing about, teasing his sisters and playing basketball again. That is a miracle – not only to him and his family but also to the Pope Benedict XVI.

The 11-year-old Ferndale, Wash., boy’s stunning recovery from the flesh-eating bacteria that chewed up his face and nearly killed him in 2006 has been officially deemed by the Vatican as a miracle attributable to Kateri Tekakwitha, a 17th-century American Indian woman who converted to Catholicism at a young age.

The pope on Monday signed a decree authenticating the miracle, clearing the way for Tekakwitha to be canonized as America’s first Roman Catholic indigenous saint.

“There is no doubt in me or my husband’s mind that a miracle definitely took place,” Jake’s mother, Elsa Finkbonner, told msnbc.com on Tuesday. “There were far too many things that could have and should have gone wrong with his illness. The doctors went through every avenue they could to save his life and he survived. It’s a miracle that all of the other things that could have gone wrong, didn’t.”

more~ http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/20/9588670-boys-survival-from-flesh-eating-bacteria-deemed-a-miracle-by-his-family-and-the-pope

What are your thoughts on this??

16 replies, 3306 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Angry Dragon (Original post)

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 04:08 PM

1. I think that the doctors should be getting the credit

Rather than some woman who died hundreds of years ago.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to EvolveOrConvolve (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 04:16 PM

2. From the article

"As for the nonbelievers, Elsa is quick to explain that attributing Jake’s miracle survival to a future saint is in no way a discredit to the doctors who treated him.

“We know Jake would not be here if those doctors were not so fabulous,” she says.
But she also notes that the doctors themselves told the Vatican interviewers they don’t know how to account for the boy’s turn of fortune.

“They stated they did everything humanly possible and that the death rate for this disease is very high. They had also made comments as to they don’t know why he survived. They, too, have stated that, yeah, it is a miracle that he has survived.”

Reply to this post

Response to PADemD (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 05:13 PM

6. What did the dead woman do that the doctors didn't?

Why is the involvement of the invisible spirit of a dead woman necessary to explain what happened? The disease went away after proper medical treatment. Sometimes bacterial infections that result in necrotizing fasciitis are fatal, and sometimes they aren't. Where is there room for supernatural intervention?

Reply to this post

Response to PADemD (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 24, 2011, 11:00 PM

11. Doesn't matter

the "M" word was used & that's all it takes to get noses out of joint. Never mind that the doctors are saying the same thing. They're just to stupid to be "outraged" about someone else "getting" all the credit.

dg

Reply to this post

Response to WolverineDG (Reply #11)

Wed Dec 28, 2011, 04:39 PM

14. Forget credit, what about the long term negative consequences?

Just because they don't know why he recovered doesn't mean you should insert the supernatural in its place, with the "M" word, as you so eloquently put it. This hinders rational inquiry, and the real reason the boy recovered could possibly be replicated in others who suffer the same infection, it should be further examined, even though, if they do find the answer, it will be less "romantic" than a miracle, at least then it could potentially save thousands of lives in the future.

Reply to this post

Response to Humanist_Activist (Reply #14)

Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:40 PM

16. What's with the "miracle = credit" stuff

because I don't get it. That's a very narrow (and self-serving) definition.

And just because one person's recovery is called a "miracle" doesn't stop anyone from trying to figure out why they recovered.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 04:50 PM

3. I would consider this a combination of good luck and good treatment

Though the flesh-eating bug is a very serious and often fatal illness, many people do recover if they're treated promptly and well, and if they don't have other health problems.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 05:02 PM

4. The media just eat up any story

where they can plaster the word "miracle" in the headline. But as the article states, the survival rate for this condition is low, not zero. So is every case of this disease and other such conditions where the person survives a "miracle" too? Is winning the Power Ball jackpot (the odds of which are far lower) also a miracle? Unlikely events happen all the time, and not always for reasons that we can be certain about, but that doesn't make all (or even any) of them "miracles".

And what about all of the times people have prayed for the intercession of soon-to-be-saint Tekawitha or any other saint and the person died anyway? Were the saints busy elsewhere in those cases? Was the real "miracle" here that the right dead Catholic person just happened to be listening and had nothing better to do than to wave their hand and affect a cure?

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 05:08 PM

5. Are there no depths to which the Roman Catholic Church will not sink?

It is absolutely appalling that they would capitalize on the illness of a young boy in order to promote themselves. Absolutely shameless.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 05:18 PM

7. "The doctors went through every avenue they could to save his life and he survived."

So, of course, it's a Miracle!

LOL!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 08:50 PM

8. This is a great tried and true example of how the Catholic church corrupts,

poisons and often utterly destroys indigenous cultures using the fake miracle/saint scam. We all know how the scam works right? They pick some native character and give them super powers, meaning the ability to alter natural forces somehow, then, co-opt the targeted cultures important "holy" dates as their own yada yada yada. Their good at this because they've been doing it for ages and have a lot of practice. I'll change my mind when one of these fake saints makes someones missing arm or leg grow back in front of a believable witness (maybe with unedited video) - should be very easy for them saint types.

I cant believe anyone would fall for the fake saint scam, but they obviously do.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 24, 2011, 09:39 PM

9. What an insult to the doctors treating the kid.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 24, 2011, 10:29 PM

10. Sounds pretty miraculous. i.e no other readily available explanation

What created the "miracle" seems rather presumptuous of the Vatican to take and ascribe credit for, but the Vatican takes credit for miracles on a regular basis. It's an integral part of it's marketing. And apparently a lot of people are still buying and enjoying it. There's a lot worse and definitely less entertaining crap for sale out there.

Reply to this post

Response to Starboard Tack (Reply #10)

Wed Dec 28, 2011, 04:41 PM

15. Miraculous implies a supernatural explanation, its remarkable, to be sure...

but material, and should be further examined to see if a viable treatment option can be developed in other victims of this disease.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 26, 2011, 05:04 PM

12. This is related to the prayer cloth scam TV evangelists

use on the sick and the elderly too.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 28, 2011, 12:13 PM

13. I see what the vatican did there and I'm going to learn from it.

Here I am working hard every day in order to get credit for it... when all I really have to do is let everyone ELSE work really hard and then claim it was me all along... how moral and just. I'd only be following the example of the church, and the pope so it can't be a bad thing right? Those guys never do anything disgusting, ammoral, vile, and/or reprehensible

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread