HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity (Group) » Pope Francis Demotes Outs...

Sat Nov 8, 2014, 06:09 PM

Pope Francis Demotes Outspoken Conservative Cardinal

A bit of good news out of Rome today;

Pope Francis has demoted a conservative American cardinal who has criticized his leadership of the Catholic Church.

The pontiff removed Cardinal Raymond Burke as the leader of the Vatican’s highest court and appointed him to a ceremonial position as chaplain of the Knights of Malta, a charity group, according to a press bulletin issued Saturday.

That is a significant demotion, according to the National Catholic Reporter. “The position of Patron of the the Order of Malta is usually given to a retired cardinal, or as a second task to an active cardinal,” Michael Sean Winters writes. “It has almost no responsibilities.”

Of course if I had my way Burke would've been busted all the way down to simple parish priest and given a lifetime appointment to some parish above the Arctic Circle.

4 replies, 1426 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pope Francis Demotes Outspoken Conservative Cardinal (Original post)
47of74 Nov 2014 OP
rug Nov 2014 #1
rustbeltvoice Nov 2014 #2
Fortinbras Armstrong Nov 2014 #3
olegramps Nov 2014 #4

Response to 47of74 (Original post)

Sun Nov 9, 2014, 12:11 AM

1. Hearing confessions from the Knights of Malta will put him over the bend.

An errant Knight:

"Bless me, Father, for I have sinned.

"It has been one day since my last confession.

"This morning I failed to cross myself with holy water as I left Daily Mass. I allowed myself to be distracted by hosiery.

"For these and all my sins I am heartily sorry."

The Patron of the Order of Malta, His Eminence Rayond Cardinal Burke:

"Go to hell!"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 9, 2014, 12:32 AM

2. 'conservative' is a polite and gross understatement

Anti-pastoral, tyrant, extreme Republican.
Our little princess likes theatre, and hierarchy.
He is insubordinate, something that he does not tolerate in others.

Reply to this post

Response to rustbeltvoice (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 9, 2014, 07:01 AM

3. If I had dissed my boss in public the way Burke did

I'd have been fired, not kicked upstairs.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 9, 2014, 12:50 PM

4. You reap what you sow.

Pope John Paul II appointed a cadre of ultra-traditionalist bishops who have the intellectual curiosity of a bag of rocks. He only considered someone who accepted without question the validity of every church teaching. It is unfortunate that most of today's Catholics, including most of the clergy, are unaware that many of the bishops at Vatican II had strong reservations on several of the church's teachings.

These included the church's obsession with human sexuality, and the indissolubly of marriage, clerical celibacy, especially contraception. As witnessed by their expansion of annulments and silence on contraception it was apparent what their sentiments were on these issues. Most importantly was both Paul VI and John Paul's disregard of the Vatican II bishops important concept of collegiality. When it came to clerical celibacy and contraception the Vatican totally disregarded the Council's pronouncements that the bishops must be included in formation of doctrine. The results were disastrous. Until these issues are adequately resolved, any notion that the church will eventually recover is absurd.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread