HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity (Group) » Pope unleashes 'super con...

Wed Feb 10, 2016, 11:02 PM

Pope unleashes 'super confessors' to tackle special sins

Francis is sending out a group of "super confessors" to forgive sins that normally can only be forgiven by the Pope himself;

And on Wednesday over 1,000 of these "missionaries of mercy", handpicked by Pope Francis, were sent forth to win back the hearts of those who have left the Catholic Church and open the door to repentant sinners across the world.

There are certain evils the Vatican ranks above other sins, from attempting to assassinate the pope to defiling the Eucharist -- the rite of consuming consecrated bread and wine in Church -- by spitting it out or using it in a Satanic ritual.

Since the 12th century, those guilty of these so-called "reserved sins" had their cases evaluated by a secret tribunal in the tiny Vatican city state before they were sent before the pope, who would determine an appropriate penance.

Now, 1,142 priests and monks from around the world have be given the power, for the Vatican's Jubilee Year, to forgive sinners in their flocks -- and possibly fellow priests as one of the special sins is breaking the seal of confession.

4 replies, 1457 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pope unleashes 'super confessors' to tackle special sins (Original post)
47of74 Feb 2016 OP
rug Feb 2016 #1
Drahthaardogs Feb 2016 #3
rug Feb 2016 #4
beemer27 Feb 2016 #2

Response to 47of74 (Original post)

Thu Feb 11, 2016, 08:20 AM

1. This is written as if it's a joke.

The Vatican is no longer reserving to itself the Sacarament of Reconciliation for designated grave sins bt is making it widely available.

There's no "super confessor" language in any document outside this headline.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rug (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 12, 2016, 07:57 PM

3. I had never realized that some priests did not have dispensation to absolve some sins

until earlier this year when he allowed all priests to absolve confession for abortions. This other set of sins only absolvable by the Pope is news to me as well. I like Francis.

Reply to this post

Response to Drahthaardogs (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 12, 2016, 07:59 PM

4. It certainly underscores the message of The Year of Mercy.

Reply to this post

Response to 47of74 (Original post)

Thu Feb 11, 2016, 09:19 AM

2. I've never heard this term either.

Perhaps the reporter got "creative" with the language to craft an attention getting headline. The basic idea is a good one. This pope is shaking things up, and it is about time. I hope that he lasts long enough to get the Church back on the track.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread