HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Regular cannabis users re...

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 12:46 AM

Regular cannabis users require up to 220% higher dosage for sedation in medical procedures

April 15, 2019

CHICAGO--April 15, 2019--Patients who regularly use cannabis may require more than two times the usual level of sedation when undergoing medical procedures, according to a study published in The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association.

Researchers in Colorado examined medical records of 250 patients who received endoscopic procedures after 2012, when the state legalized recreational cannabis. They found patients who smoked or ingested cannabis on a daily or weekly basis required 14% more fentanyl, 20% more midazolam, and 220% more propofol to achieve optimum sedation for routine procedures, including colonoscopy.

"Some of the sedative medications have dose-dependent side effects, meaning the higher the dose, the greater likelihood for problems," says lead researcher Mark Twardowski, DO, an osteopathic internal medicine physician. "That becomes particularly dangerous when suppressed respiratory function is a known side effect."

A lack of research, due to cannabis's status as a schedule 1 drug, combined with its sudden widespread legalization, makes Dr. Twardowski concerned about other unforeseen issues.

More:
https://www.brightsurf.com/news/article/041519480917/regular-cannabis-users-require-up-to-220-higher-dosage-for-sedation-in-medical-procedures.html

4 replies, 732 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Regular cannabis users require up to 220% higher dosage for sedation in medical procedures (Original post)
Judi Lynn Apr 2019 OP
mr_lebowski Apr 2019 #1
Quemado Apr 2019 #2
Shell_Seas Apr 2019 #3
FiveGoodMen Apr 2019 #4

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 01:01 AM

1. Good to know. This should be studied more. It's stupid we haven't long ago done so ...

I should also add that an opioid addict could well require up to 2000% more fentanyl than an average patient ... or a benzo addict might need up to 1000% more midolazam.

I'm kinda (but really not entirely) pulling numbers out my behind, but these are the sorts of facts that are long-ago, and well ... understood, due to opioids and benzo's not being Schedule 1 drugs.

It's good to be honest with your doctors, esp. if they're sedating you, or putting you under entirely. There's alternatives to propofol (which is suspected to work in part via our endocannabinoid (sp?) system) available.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 04:35 AM

2. Lay off the weed for a few weeks before a procedure?

Just asking for a friend.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 05:38 AM

3. I can speak from personal experience, I don't think this is true.

I've never made a count down backwards before being knocked out.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 12:58 PM

4. Since no one has any experience with pot, it's good that someone is looking into it

"combined with its sudden widespread legalization, makes Dr. Twardowski concerned about other unforeseen issues. "

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread