HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Weather Watchers (Group) » Biggest snowstorm in seve...

Mon Dec 14, 2020, 06:58 PM

Biggest snowstorm in several years to wallop Philadelphia-to-Boston corridor

A winter storm taking aim at the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast from Wednesday night into Thursday is likely to dump more snow in about 24 hours than Philadelphia and New York City recorded all last season. It may also produce a significant snowstorm in Boston.

A foot to a foot and a half of snow is possible from this event in New York City as a strong low-pressure area moves along the New Jersey coast and drifts east-northeast, allowing an ample supply of cold, dry air to feed into the storm and keep precipitation in the form of snow. That would more than double the snowfall totals from last winter, when the city received just 4.8 inches in the entire season. The bulk of the snow is expected to fall Wednesday night into early Thursday.

The National Weather Service is predicting blockbuster snowfall totals to the northwest of Interstate 95 and south of Interstate 78 in Pennsylvania and northern New Jersey, including a stretch from Lancaster, Pa., to Harrisburg and northeastward to Caldwell, N.J. The Poconos may even see some snow totals approaching two feet, given the likelihood of snowfall rates in the most intense snow bands to exceed one to two inches per hour.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/12/14/snowstorm-hit-philadelphia-new-york-boston/?

2 replies, 901 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Biggest snowstorm in several years to wallop Philadelphia-to-Boston corridor (Original post)
elleng Dec 2020 OP
BigmanPigman Dec 2020 #1
littlemissmartypants Dec 2020 #2

Response to elleng (Original post)

Mon Dec 14, 2020, 07:09 PM

1. 318

My school closing number for my school outside of Phila. After every storm we listened to the radio and 316, 317, 319, 320, etc. would be called to stay home but not 318. Every other tiny town would have a snow day but not us, ever! The temp was always 2 too warm and it was icky slush. The Poconos on the other hand had us shoveling snow off the roof so it wouldn't collapse on us.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Original post)

Mon Dec 14, 2020, 07:18 PM

2. There was a wild windstorm here today.

Things flying, hitting the house and the roof. The temperature is now 20 colder than it was when I got up this morning. Crazy weather for sure.

I love watching the weather, except for hurricane season. Stay safe out there, elleng.

❤ lmsp

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread