HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Weather Watchers (Group) » Powerful Storm Headed for...

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 02:29 AM

Powerful Storm Headed for Seattle, Northwest

Strong winds, rain and very heavy mountain snow are all expected

December 16th, 2012

This next powerful storm is cranking up over the northern Pacific Ocean and will only continue to intensify as it slams into western Washington and western Oregon Sunday night through Monday...[/i

Wind- High wind warnings are posted for coastal portions of Oregon and southwest Washington. Wind gusts to 65 or 75 mph are possible, which could be enough to cause some tree damage or power outages.

Snow- Heavy snow will impact passes throughout the Cascade Mountains. Travel will be difficult on I-90 through Snoqualmie Pass. Up to three feet of snow is expected to fall in the Washington Cascades. Snow will also affect locations east of the Cascades in Washington, including Spokane. Blizzard warnings have been posted for the Blue Mountains of northeast Oregon and far southeast Washington. There is also a significant threat of avalanches in the Cascades...

Rain- One to three inches of rain is forecast over the next 48 hours in the lower elevations of western Washington and western Oregon.

Video, maps and more at link:

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/seattle-portland-northwest-storm-20121215

9 replies, 3201 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Powerful Storm Headed for Seattle, Northwest (Original post)
freshwest Dec 2012 OP
freshwest Dec 2012 #1
hollysmom Dec 2012 #2
freshwest Dec 2012 #3
hollysmom Dec 2012 #4
freshwest Dec 2012 #5
LiveNudePolitics Dec 2012 #6
freshwest Dec 2012 #7
LiveNudePolitics Dec 2012 #8
McCIoud Dec 2012 #9

Response to freshwest (Original post)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 02:41 AM

1. The traffic cam on Snoqualmie Pass:

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 03:37 AM

2. is this part of the Arkstream? Arkstorm?

Reply to this post

Response to hollysmom (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 03:58 AM

3. Not yet. Typical some years. It's an atmospheric river we call it the Pineapple Express.

Sometimes it reaches historic proportions, as it did in 2006. Nothing to panic about yet. Here's a picture of some of the results then. It was not as traumatic an ARKstorm, which is a theoretical event that would harm California.

We have interesting phenomena such as the Puget Sound Convergence zone, the Chinook Winds, etc. LInk to what has happened before here, and the ARKstorm scenario:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple_Express

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARkStorm

After 2006 because of the wind damage there was a greater push for underground power. Some gale force winds are predicted now.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 05:07 PM

4. thanks

I find weather complex but interesting, but my experience is just east coast.

Reply to this post

Response to hollysmom (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 05:13 PM

5. Well, you guys get Nor'easter's (sic) and Lake Effect Snow, IIRC.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 06:53 PM

6. Thanks for the post,

we east coasters forget that the west coast gets some wild and wooly weather too! Verra interresting!

Reply to this post

Response to LiveNudePolitics (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 07:13 PM

7. I think the East Coast weather is pretty rough. We have warmer, wetter currents.

But the mountains have their own little weather system almost independent of the coast. A good deal of Washington is protected by Puget Sound and the Olympic Peninsula.

The most interesting event I had was Christmas week 1990. We had snow in the lowlands and thunder and lightning from the snow. I stayed home and cooked. Luckily the power stayed on.

I learned terms like 'groppel snow' which is like kitty litter. But I love slowly drifing snowflakes when it's quiet and the powder blows into drifts. It's a temperate climate here, some call this area maritime. Summers are usually comfortable.

Take care, I think you guys are going to have a heavy winter, too. I hope all of you are keeping warm after all the hurricane and snow storms.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 06:51 PM

8. NYC has really gotten good at weather.

Thankfully! Yes, I am fortunate in my area, we were one of the parts of Queens that never lost power and had very little damage.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 09:30 AM

9. +1

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread