HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » South Dakota (Group) » Drug analyst can't keep u...

Tue Sep 6, 2016, 02:30 AM

Drug analyst can't keep up with rise in meth

Sometime in 2012, Richard Wold began going to the office six days a week. He also started coming in at 6 a.m., an hour ahead of most colleagues.

Wold, then 59, saw he got more done by starting early. For the first couple of hours, there were no phone calls, meetings or visitors to interrupt his flow. It was just him, his machines, some classical music and drug specimens.

As the only drug analyst for the Rapid City Police Departmentís Evidence Section, Wold wanted to increase his output to keep pace with the growing number of local drug crimes.

By the end of 2012, he had conducted 2,605 drug analyses, a thousand more than the previous year. In 2014, he set a lab record of 3,233 analyses.

Read more: http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/drug-analyst-can-t-keep-up-with-rise-in-meth/article_46f83771-2e19-513b-bc94-c93f0a7a0168.html

6 replies, 800 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Drug analyst can't keep up with rise in meth (Original post)
TexasTowelie Sep 2016 OP
Skittles Sep 2016 #1
TexasTowelie Sep 2016 #2
Sherman A1 Sep 2016 #3
TexasTowelie Sep 2016 #4
Sherman A1 Sep 2016 #5
liberalhistorian Sep 2016 #6

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Sep 6, 2016, 03:34 AM

1. ....

when I read the few lines of this article, I thought Mr. Wold was addicted to meth

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Skittles (Reply #1)

Tue Sep 6, 2016, 03:43 AM

2. I hear that he has reputable sources, lab-tested and all.

He also doesn't have to worry about coming up with the money to pay for it either.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Sep 6, 2016, 04:30 AM

3. Sad

on two levels. Of course the rise of Meth, but also that a fellow 59 years old has to come in early 6 days a week to just try to keep up with the job. Definitely need to get some additional help and funding.

Reply to this post

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #3)

Tue Sep 6, 2016, 04:38 AM

4. Yes, that would drive me into early retirement.

However, the county probably looks at the situation as one of those where they put him under the additional stress they may not have to pay him a pension for as long a period of time (if at all). It seems to be the plan to keep the mortality rates and actuarial tables in balance since life expectancy has increased due to medical advances.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #4)

Tue Sep 6, 2016, 04:52 AM

5. Might be the case

and if so, it is especially cruel.

Reply to this post

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #3)

Sun Sep 18, 2016, 11:32 PM

6. Very true, but that won't happen in this city.

People demand all kinds of services, but they don't want to pay any taxes and they hate government even though they demand and rely on the many services said hated government provides. They love to claim self-sufficiency and all that, but this state would be nowhere and nothing without the tons of federal money we receive and that especially includes the state's premier pride and joy emblem of bigotry and blind patriotism, Mt. Rushmore.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread