HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » South Dakota (Group) » Rural legislators express...

Tue Sep 13, 2016, 05:09 AM

Rural legislators express dislike for new school-funding system

PIERRE – South Dakota’s new school-funding system doesn’t provide enough money to small-enrollment school systems, state legislators elected from rural areas said Monday.

They said schools aren’t receiving enough funding to cover one teacher per grade.

The comments came from two Democrats and two Republicans during a presentation on the new formula by Tami Darnall, finance director for the state Department of Education.

Earlier this year the Legislature approved Gov. Dennis Daugaaard’s request to raise the state sales tax to 4.5 percent from 4 percent.

Read more: http://www.capjournal.com/news/rural-legislators-express-dislike-for-new-school-funding-system/article_f1d35c14-796d-11e6-876a-1f17c6c5b97f.html

1 replies, 739 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rural legislators express dislike for new school-funding system (Original post)
TexasTowelie Sep 2016 OP
liberalhistorian Sep 2016 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sun Sep 18, 2016, 11:26 PM

1. I'm in a rural area of the state, but I have to

disagree with the legislators here. And a huge part of the problem are failed levies in rural areas. Theoretically, most of such areas claim that they fully support education and understand the necessity of it, but they don't want to pay for it. They think some magical fount of money somewhere should pay for it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread