HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » South Dakota (Group) » 50-foot-tall statue of wo...

Mon Sep 19, 2016, 07:35 PM

50-foot-tall statue of woman lends 'Dignity' to South Dakota's skyline

CHAMBERLAIN, S.D. High atop a bluff overlooking the Missouri River, Chamberlain's newest resident has found her new home.

After two years of planning, designing and creating the 50-foot-tall statue, called "Dignity," the project culminated with a celebration of the time and hard work that went into the effort.

More than 200 people converged on the Chamberlain rest stop on Interstate 90 to recognize the state's newest landmark, a stainless steel statue depicting a Native American woman draped in a star quilt.

Black Hills area artist and South Dakota artist laureate Dale Lamphere, who designed the sculpture, and Norm and Eunabel McKie, who commissioned "Dignity," were on hand to celebrate the completion of the project Saturday.

Read more: http://www.inforum.com/4117594-dignity-celebrated-south-dakotas-skyline

4 replies, 1720 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply 50-foot-tall statue of woman lends 'Dignity' to South Dakota's skyline (Original post)
TexasTowelie Sep 2016 OP
uppityperson Sep 2016 #1
TexasTowelie Sep 2016 #2
progressoid Sep 2016 #3
mopinko Sep 2016 #4

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Sep 19, 2016, 07:51 PM

1. That's quite nice, thank you for posting this.

I saw the photo and my first thought was Dale Lamphere, turns out he designed it but how did I come up with the name? Weird.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to uppityperson (Reply #1)

Mon Sep 19, 2016, 07:54 PM

2. You're welcome

and it is a stately piece of art. I don't stand a chance of getting the name of any artist correct so you are one step ahead of me.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 19, 2016, 08:12 PM

3. I'll be on that interstate next month.

Will try to stop and see it.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 20, 2016, 10:29 AM

4. it's a beauty.

likey.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread