HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » South Dakota (Group) » Panel says parents should...

Sat Feb 11, 2017, 09:11 PM

Panel says parents should file for child support to get food stamps

PIERRE - Parents who have separated and want to receive food stamps would be required to apply for child support to receive the federal nutrition assistance under a bill approved Thursday by a legislative panel.

The House Health and Human Services Committee unanimously advanced House Bill 1191, which requires custodial parents to fill out paperwork with the state Division of Child Custody as a condition of receiving federal assistance through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

Rep. Kent Peterson, R-Salem, said the measure would benefit parents and children as it would funnel more funds to custodial parents and ensure the non-custodial parents are held accountable and would help stretch taxpayer dollars used to fund SNAP.

"It helps the children receive all the financial support available to them, public and private to help them out of their situation," Peterson said.

Read more: http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/09/panel-says-parents-should-file-child-support-get-food-stamps/97685126/

0 replies, 804 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread