HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » Sanders campaign says Che...

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 10:19 AM

Sanders campaign says Chelsea Clinton was 'wrong.'

from ABC:

Hillary Clinton today defended her daughter’s attacks against her Democratic challenger Bernie Sanders’ single-payer health care plan, despite criticism the remark was inaccurate.

“You know, I adore my daughter and I know what she was saying,” Clinton told “Good Morning America” about Chelsea Clinton. “Because if you look at Senator Sanders’ proposals going back nine times in the Congress, that’s exactly what he’s proposed. To take everything we currently know as health care, Medicare, Medicaid, the CHIP Program, private insurance, now of the Affordable Care Act, and roll it together.”

Chelsea Clinton Tuesday joined in on her mother’s jabs against Sanders, saying during a campaign event in New Hampshire that the Vermont senator wants to “dismantle Obamacare, dismantle the CHIP program, dismantle Medicare and private insurance.”

The Sanders campaign quickly responded by saying that Chelsea Clinton was “wrong.”

“A Medicare-for-all plan will save the average middle class family $5,000 a year,” a spokesman for Sanders’ campaign said. “The Clinton campaign is wrong.”

read: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary-clinton-defends-chelsea-clintons-attacks-bernie-sanders/story?id=36263047

...I think the Sanders campaign struck just the right tone, correcting Mrs. Clinton, instead of employing the more inflammatory language others have resorted to. Myself, I'm completely turned off this morning by the piling on with some of the most vicious language directed at a Democratic candidate for president I've ever seen allowed here at DU. It does nothing to illuminate the issues involved (some aren't even trying to spell out their objections), and it actually stifles debate - polarizing the competing camps here and setting a destructive precedent.

I'm perfectly capable of understanding where the Sanders campaign feels Chelsea Clinton has apparently erred from their professional response. Even supporting an opponent of Hillary in this primary, I have zero understanding for those who engage in vicious attacks on the Clintons' character.

Not that I think it'll make a huge difference in expressing this, but I think the call for more comity needs to begin somewhere. Kudos to the Sanders camp for refraining from vulgarity and personalization (as if that's some monumental task).

21 replies, 1644 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sanders campaign says Chelsea Clinton was 'wrong.' (Original post)
bigtree Jan 2016 OP
virtualobserver Jan 2016 #1
bigtree Jan 2016 #5
virtualobserver Jan 2016 #6
bigtree Jan 2016 #8
virtualobserver Jan 2016 #10
bigtree Jan 2016 #13
virtualobserver Jan 2016 #14
bigtree Jan 2016 #15
ljm2002 Jan 2016 #21
cali Jan 2016 #7
bigtree Jan 2016 #9
JonLeibowitz Jan 2016 #16
bigtree Jan 2016 #17
JonLeibowitz Jan 2016 #19
Hortensis Jan 2016 #2
Proud Liberal Dem Jan 2016 #12
Hortensis Jan 2016 #18
libdem4life Jan 2016 #3
Bluenorthwest Jan 2016 #4
Fawke Em Jan 2016 #11
LongTomH Jan 2016 #20

Response to bigtree (Original post)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 10:51 AM

1. Hillary is attempting to deliberately mislead the public, she used her daughter as a tool to do that

Chelsea didn't "err". Hillary did not say that it was wrong. She said “You know, I adore my daughter and I know what she was saying,” and "that’s exactly what he’s proposed" She is reinforcing what Chelsea said.

Disgusting.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to virtualobserver (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 11:03 AM

5. this is standard campaign fare

...Sanders hasn't yet released the details of his plan, so it's just laying there waiting for someone to define it for him.

So, you disagree with the Clintons. That's not exactly some kind of monumental sin. One campaign makes a claim, the target shoots them down. Standard politics. It should register to folks supporting Sen. Sanders that his leadership ability goes beyond policy. His campaign has struck just the right tone in response to the claims. I suspect he sees no benefit in demonizing either Hillary or Chelsea in rebuttal.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #5)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 11:11 AM

6. lying is standard campaign fare....for Republicans, but it should not be for Democrats

Democrats lose all credibility when they do that.

I disagree with deliberately misleading.

Reply to this post

Response to virtualobserver (Reply #6)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 11:19 AM

8. defining a plan which hasn't been presented in any detail

...even defining it incorrectly, isn't 'lying,' and it isn't a practice restricted to republicans.

All of the hyperbole about lying isn't making the case effectively. It stifles and polarizes debate and discussion. It does absolutely nothing to define the candidate's own view of his proposals. And it sets a destructive precedent of defining all differences expressed between campaigns as dishonesty.

In short, there's nothing productive to be gained by demonizing your opponent in this fashion, especially in our Democratic primary.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #8)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 11:36 AM

10. not hyperbole....expanding Medicare to all Americans is not dismantling Medicare

Lying stifles and polarizes debate and discussion. If Hillary isn't willing to discuss this honestly, there can be no discussion.

Reply to this post

Response to virtualobserver (Reply #10)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 11:47 AM

13. I've seen more egregious distortions of records and policy than this

...I suspect folks will likely be just fine in this primary here portraying policy differences as lies. I'd hate to see the debates and discussions descend into that, though.

People can have different points of view and be absolutely convinced they're correct. That's going to be true among the supporters discussing events here. Nothing, absolutely nothing productive will be accomplished calling each others campaign's rhetoric 'lies.'

But, I suspect, speaking to that reality will amount to just another dribble into the well.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #13)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 11:57 AM

14. saying that up is down is not an expression of policy differences

or as David Axelrod put it.....

"I really regret that the Clinton campaign sent Chelsea out to make the attack that she made today. I don't think it was the right attack. Bernie Sanders is proposing single-payer, universal healthcare. You can hardly say he is trying to take healthcare away from anyone or retreat from Obamacare, he's trying to exceed it. And so, it's not really an honest attack. And it's not something that they should have sent her out to do."

Reply to this post

Response to virtualobserver (Reply #14)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 12:01 PM

15. David Axelrod speaks for himself

...I prefer the response from the Sanders campaign.

It should make an interesting debate point if Sec. Clinton presses forward with the claim.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #13)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 01:53 PM

21. You've seen worse?

Worse than saying that "Medicare for all" means "dismantling Medicare"?

Please let us know what more blatant lies you have come across. Me, I'm having a hard time thinking of any. At least on our side of the aisle.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #5)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 11:14 AM

7. Sadly, it is. That makes it no less dishonest and despicable

Everyone knows she lied. Clinton's play filthy. And they deserve the splash back when the fling shit.

Reply to this post

Response to cali (Reply #7)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 11:24 AM

9. well

...I just don't think this kind of talk is productive, or even rational in a campaign where policy differences are constantly distorted and exaggerated.

All of the invectives you're throwing out don't make your opinion any more convincing. Such is the standard of discourse today.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #9)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 12:02 PM

16. Hillaryand Chelsea are the ones lying to distort and exaggerate.

We're just reacting.

Reply to this post

Response to JonLeibowitz (Reply #16)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 12:13 PM

17. it's not unusual for political supporters to regards their opponents as dishonest

...an attitude, I'm sure, that can be found in all political camps.

'They're lying, we're just responding.'

Lol.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #17)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 01:01 PM

19. Perhaps. But in this case Hillary and co. are lying. And Sanders supporters are not.

We are simply calling a lie a lie.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 10:57 AM

2. Hillary's trying to stand by her daughter, but Chelsea's

statement did add up to a "lie" even if it may have been technically true as far as it went. Yes, he would dismantle those things IF he could replace them with more far-reaching programs.

What she might have pointed out instead is, barring Democratic majorities in both houses of Congress, how unlikely it is that he would be able to accomplish what he promises to (try to) do.

Single-payer supporter here.

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 11:41 AM

12. That's probably more of the tack I would have taken

I would love to have a system similar to Canada, UK, etc. but it will take a long hard slog to get there, not to mention a significantly "bluer" Congress to actually get it done- though it's worth mentioning that legislators tried- and failed- to get SP off the ground in Sanders' significantly more progressive home state of Vermont, so it's probably going to be difficult in any event making such a large scale transition all at once. As I understand it, even places like Canada didn't go SP overnight.

Reply to this post

Response to Proud Liberal Dem (Reply #12)

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 12:51 PM

18. Good points, Proud. We'd hardly be leading the way

or pioneering on this, though. Many nations have gone before, and we know how to do it when we decide to.

And with medical records going on line, gee, maybe "overnight" might be almost literally possible -- someday.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 10:58 AM

3. Bernie is more than a candidate. He is the harbinger of breaking up the Oligarchy.

It resets and reforms American politics and how people are elected. If he can do it, so can those down-ticket. I think there will be "coat tails" but not of the old order.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 10:59 AM

4. In 2008, Chelsea Clinton made to me the single best argument for voting for her mother over Obama

that anyone offered. The way she presented it was not only full of facts and statistics but also framed in such a way as to make Hillary look like the best of two good choices. Chelsea has one of the best memories I've seen in a political figure, I think she is smarter than either of her parents.
I still voted for Obama, but her argument was the one that almost worked and the one I think of still.
I was greatly disappointed in her not only for the negative and less than accurate tarnishing of Senator Sanders but for the disregard for the importance of the issue.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 11:41 AM

11. Everyone else says that, too, because she was wrong. eom

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 13, 2016, 01:21 PM

20. These tactics will rebound on Hillary. She's hurting herself, not helping!

I think the media has started paying attention to Bernie, and they will carry his response.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread