HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » ABC: When it comes to Hil...

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:29 PM

ABC: When it comes to Hillary Clinton, some Ohio voters admit to feeling more lukewarm than fired up

link; excerpt:

When it comes to Hillary Clinton, some Ohio voters admit to feeling more lukewarm than fired up.... The Michigan setback has exposed her struggles to energize voters against Bernie Sanders, who's riding a wave of populist zeal.... Those challenges are evident in Ohio, a pivotal general election state where Democratic voters offered mixed feelings about Clinton and her ability to defeat the Republican candidate should she become the nominee.... But in Michigan, where polling also pointed to a Clinton victory, Sanders managed to energize younger people and liberals and woo working-class white voters with his argument that U.S. trade deals have cost manufacturing jobs.

That pitch may prove effective in Ohio with voters such as Jan Jones, 68, a retiree from Cleveland Heights deciding between Clinton and Sanders, who said: "A year or so ago she seemed like a shoo-in and all this other stuff came up. I like what he says about the poor versus the rich."... David Niven, a political science professor at Cincinnati University, said Democrats should be considered "modest favorites" given the makeup of the state. But he said there was an "eat your peas sensibility" to many Clinton voters.

"They see this as something they should do and they're going to do but they're not necessarily excited about it," Niven said.

In the early contests thus far, Republicans have seen higher turnout in many states than they did in their 2012 primary race, while Democrats are not hitting their record high 2008 turnout numbers. That could be a warning about lack of enthusiasm in November.

19 replies, 1595 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply ABC: When it comes to Hillary Clinton, some Ohio voters admit to feeling more lukewarm than fired up (Original post)
Attorney in Texas Mar 2016 OP
Metric System Mar 2016 #1
Attorney in Texas Mar 2016 #7
Metric System Mar 2016 #9
Attorney in Texas Mar 2016 #11
Metric System Mar 2016 #13
Attorney in Texas Mar 2016 #16
Nanjeanne Mar 2016 #17
Sky Masterson Mar 2016 #2
Metric System Mar 2016 #3
Sky Masterson Mar 2016 #4
Metric System Mar 2016 #6
Sky Masterson Mar 2016 #10
Metric System Mar 2016 #12
Sky Masterson Mar 2016 #14
Vote2016 Mar 2016 #18
Attorney in Texas Mar 2016 #8
Chasstev365 Mar 2016 #5
H2O Man Mar 2016 #15
Motown_Johnny Mar 2016 #19

Response to Attorney in Texas (Original post)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:33 PM

1. What does low turnout say about Sanders? It's always framed as a Hillary problem.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Metric System (Reply #1)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:45 PM

7. Because the low turnout is in Hillary's states; in Sanders' states turnout records have been broken

in over half of those states.

Where Hillary is strongest (in the Deep South), Democratic voters are very unenthusiastic. Where the Democrats are enthusiastic (Colorado, Kansas, Maine, Nebraska, Michigan, etc.), Sanders wins!

Reply to this post

Response to Attorney in Texas (Reply #7)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:48 PM

9. Sanders won Michigan by 1.5%, a virtual tie, as Sanders supporters say when Hillary wins by that

margin.

Reply to this post

Response to Metric System (Reply #9)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:53 PM

11. Yes. Hillary lost narrowly where she had the local and national Democratic party pushing her like a

mother feeding a baby spinach.

Hillary had the whole Michigan establishment trying to shove her candidacy down the voters' throats and misleadingly inaccurate polling trying to dispirit and discourage Sanders supporters and yet -- STILL -- Sanders won.

Reply to this post

Response to Attorney in Texas (Reply #11)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:57 PM

13. The polling was way off, but it wasn't some kind of conspiracy. Geez.

Reply to this post

Response to Metric System (Reply #13)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 01:01 PM

16. The polling errors were not a political conspiracy, but they were the result of media buying cheap

polling done by a discredited methodology that has been shown to routinely favor Trump and Clinton in order to sell the media's product.

Reply to this post

Response to Metric System (Reply #1)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 01:08 PM

17. Personally I think if the media didn't tell everyone that this was a done deal

the turnout would be much larger. But it's deflating when all you hear is Clinton has already won this - many people - even some who would be Clinton supporters - probably don't feel very motivated.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:33 PM

2. Exactly! She inspires no one who isn't already a staunch fan of hers.

You could run a Ficus plant against her and she'd have to claw to get a win.
That said. I will vote for her if she is the Nom. I won't like it though.

Reply to this post

Response to Sky Masterson (Reply #2)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:36 PM

3. Yet, more people have voted for her than either Trump or Sanders.

Reply to this post

Response to Metric System (Reply #3)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:40 PM

4. In states that Rarely ever go Blue.

I see people bitch about Open Primaries helping Bernie win. That is what you want!
If Hillary inspired anyone then places with Open Primaries should really help her yet they don't.
It is a well documented fact that Independent voters are the tilt that moves elections and they are breaking heavily for Bernie.

Reply to this post

Response to Sky Masterson (Reply #4)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:45 PM

6. Obama won a lot of red states during the 2008 primaries. Red vs blue states is irrelevant to the

primary process. Democrats in red states have a right to a say. Also, I never see Sanders supporters using the same argument when he wins red states

Reply to this post

Response to Metric System (Reply #6)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:51 PM

10. I live in a red state

Hillary has a built in and well nurtured hatred here among about everyone I know including family.
They will never vote for her, but they are more open to Bernie.
This matters.

Reply to this post

Response to Sky Masterson (Reply #10)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:55 PM

12. They are open to Bernie because he hasn't been attacked by the Right for decades. A general

election campaign would bring the full brunt of the Right down on him, and I'm sure your relatives would be changing their opinion of him.

Reply to this post

Response to Metric System (Reply #12)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:58 PM

14. I agree on the attack on Hillary by the right.

It is total bullshit and unfair, but it is a reality.
Not everyone loves Cruz or Trump here.
Bernie supports a lot of things that my state can stomach without the long smear campaign.

Reply to this post

Response to Metric System (Reply #12)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 02:11 PM

18. Sanders hasn't been attacked? Really? Who is pushing the communist meme, the not-a-real-activist

meme, the Sanders-opposes-the-ACA meme, etc.

I got bad news for you so you had bettet sit down and brace yourself: it's the Right pushing those memes and just because you're a Democrat that doesn't mean you're not part of "the Right."

Reply to this post

Response to Metric System (Reply #3)

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:47 PM

8. She has regional appeal and the primary calendar front-loaded her region. Watch her drop like a rock

in late March and early April when she loses her home-field advantage.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:42 PM

5. It's not just that she's flawed candidate;

It's that people are fed up with evil Washington-Wall Street Axis of Greed that tbe Clinton's are so much apart of. Bernie Sanders wants to return the Democratic Party to what it once was. GOOD FOR HIM!

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 12:59 PM

15. Interesting.

And important.

Recommended.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 12, 2016, 02:15 PM

19. I think this accounts for the polling constantly being off in Hillary's favor.

Some of her supporters just don't care enough to show up for her.

Bernie supporters do show up and that is why he consistently does better than the polling indicates.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread