HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » What part of his comments...

Wed Aug 10, 2016, 10:12 AM

What part of his comments don't they understand

His comments about the 2nd amendment and others he has said through out his campaign. They find some way to justify. Or act like its refreshing to hear him talk like that. Don't they understand he would be saying the same type things about other leaders around the world? Anybody who disagrees with him will be on the receiving end of stupid insults, indirect or direct threats from him. Our allies will be going for the exit. Do they think all of a sudden russia and china will be bff's? No they will be looking at how to gain an advantage. It won't be some kind of utopian world.

10 replies, 677 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply What part of his comments don't they understand (Original post)
duncang Aug 2016 OP
sarae Aug 2016 #1
heaven05 Aug 2016 #2
kimbutgar Aug 2016 #3
Guy Whitey Corngood Aug 2016 #4
Avalux Aug 2016 #5
sofa king Aug 2016 #6
Whiskeytide Aug 2016 #7
sofa king Aug 2016 #8
Whiskeytide Aug 2016 #10
CBGLuthier Aug 2016 #9

Response to duncang (Original post)

Wed Aug 10, 2016, 10:20 AM

1. I am so fed up with Trump and Co.

They're trying to gaslight the whole nation. It's disgusting to see people try to explain or justify his indefensible comments.

At some point, it has to end, or everyone will be living in an alternate reality where facts just don't matter.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sarae (Reply #1)

Wed Aug 10, 2016, 11:10 AM

2. to me, it's disgusting

to watch his base at his rallies. How truly disgusting and hateful AS A FUCKING GROUP they are. White, predominantly christian haters of all not white of skin and not as pristine and pure in belief as they purport themselves to be( )

I wonder how many of their ancestors went to church on a Sunday heard the preacher rail against Ham and then went to the picnic where a decendant of Ham(allegedly) was tortured and hung? How many of them would do the same today?

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 10, 2016, 12:10 PM

3. November 8th can't happen soon enough

I am so sick of Cheeto and hearing his a$$hole comments. I can't wait for him to slither back under his rock and stfu.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 10, 2016, 12:17 PM

4. They are paid handsomely "not to understand" these fascist comments. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 10, 2016, 12:21 PM

5. Oh, they understand perfectly well. It's that they want to WIN.

The GOP's MO is "the ends justify the means"; win a all costs, even if it means lying and scheming. Even though Trump has clearly gone too far they won't speak out. He is a monster of their own creation and they're unwilling to stand up to him because Hillary.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 10, 2016, 12:27 PM

6. They understand it perfectly, and so do we.

They're trying to confuse a particular type of voter who is easily confused. Consider that anyone on the fence at this point is almost by definition a very confused person to begin with.

The dissimulation is also designed to placate far-right voters, who are highly tolerant of hypocrisy and who will happily accept any explanation that absolves themselves and their candidate of criminal disruption. But they will also know exactly what Trump meant and not-so-secretly hope that someone takes it upon themselves to go and do it. It will be God's will if it does happen.

As disgusting as it is, it's hardly unprecedented. Only a few years back there was an entire week where Fox News and the AM dial began collectively asking, "will no one rid us of this turbulent priest?" I don't recall the year, but it was widely noted here on DU.

It's asking too much to think that Republican voters will understand anything. They are conservatives in the first place because they operate on a belief system instead of logical understanding. But duncang is perfectly correct that other nations will see what's up and that they will aggressively move in the direction of their own best interests, knowing that Trump's responses will be predictable and impracticable. They will quickly game the table so that any move the United States makes will risk something we can't afford to lose.

Reply to this post

Response to sofa king (Reply #6)

Wed Aug 10, 2016, 12:47 PM

7. Interesting post. I live in Alabama ...

... and I recognize first hand two distinct types of Republican voters. One group - as you say - operates on a belief system rather than logic. They will not be swayed, and will vote for the Yam no matter what he says or does. Most Teabaggers fall into this group, and your description fits them to a T.

But the second group ARE fairly reasonable, logic oriented people. (I know that's surprising, but they're out here - trust me). They are conservatives primarily on fiscal issues. I know many more of these types as opposed to the nut jobs described above. And they are to a person completely disgusted by Trump. Over the last several months, most of them have expressed to me a willingness to hold their noses and vote Trump once he became the presumptive nominee, but that is clearly wavering in recent weeks. They hate him, and they resent the element in the party who has delivered him as their candidate. I suspect many of them will stay home, perhaps vote third party, or vote down ticket only. It won't turn Bama blue by a long shot, but I think Trump's numbers here will be much lower than they might be expecting.

Reply to this post

Response to Whiskeytide (Reply #7)

Wed Aug 10, 2016, 01:08 PM

8. There is at least one commonality between both groups:

Lack of empathy. One group is easily deceived and can be led around by the blue nose of their beliefs. The other is perfectly happy to pinch that nose and drag, even though it invariably harms the believers.

I hope you won't take it personally, but this is exactly why I think that Alabama is, in particular, is the nexus of a new third-party movement that is based on that simple commonality: a willingness to do harm to others for personal gain, or in the case of the authoritarians, the illusion of personal gain.

Reply to this post

Response to sofa king (Reply #8)

Wed Aug 10, 2016, 03:46 PM

10. I take very little personally - esp on a message board ...

... But I do appreciate your politeness.

I'm not sure I agree with your assertion that a lack of empathy is a commonality, although I get what you're saying. It seems that way at times, and I do think it's accurate to say that people who lack empathy for others are more likely to be drawn to the Republican party. But beware the "DU Bubble" or the "blue state bubble" - both of which tend to broadly generalize "the enemy".

I grew up with, live and work with these people. My kids play sports with their kids. My wife and my partner are pretty right-leaning ...at least compared to me. Thanksgiving at my in-laws is a 3 day political discussion interrupted only by the football. Most of these folks are really decent, well meaning and caring people. Most of them are socially pretty liberal. Most of them believe in a welfare program, but think it needs massive reform. Most of them agree government has a role in regulating industry and business - but that we have to avoid letting it become a bureaucratic behemoth. They don't like ObamaCare, but they believe everyone should have reasonable access to healthcare. Most of them understand and condemn institutionalized racism, they don't hate or fear "teh Gay", and they could spell and use proper grammar on a sign if called upon to make one - although they probably wouldn't because going to a political rally is never going to be high on their list of priorities.

They want lower taxes, they want a strong defense, they want law and order/criminals off the streets, and they want efficient, non-wasteful government - and in their minds, that means they are a republican. When I point out the inconsistencies in their positions (i.e, lower taxes means it's harder to keep criminals locked up because that takes money for prisons and stuff), they don't huff and scream profanities at me. Instead, they actually agree. They say we have to balance it, and that it's tough to get it right.

I see my share of the stereotype - don't get me wrong. They are certainly here in abundance. There is a duzy on one of my kid's teams - but honestly, the other dads make more fun of his extremism than I do. One - especially - can imitate him perfectly, and is very skilled at prodding him into a rant purely for the entertainment value.

I have concluded that about 60% of my republican friends and acquaintances are actually more closely aligned with the democratic platform and ideals - they just either don't realize it yet, or they're not willing to admit it publicly. That might be the one thing that I do that gets under their skin the most - pointing out that they're really a flaming lib after we talk politics for a while.

Just my experience in Redville, fwiw. YMMV.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 10, 2016, 01:40 PM

9. Well it is a known fact that 2nd amendment fetishists have difficulty with reading comprehension.

Since they still don't think they have to be in the militia to own their fake penises.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread