HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » There's a new “silent maj...

Wed Oct 19, 2016, 10:33 AM

There's a new “silent majority,” and it's voting for Hillary Clinton

Trump voters and Bernie Bros get all the press, but it’s Hillary voters who are going to win.

In a 1969 speech, then-President Richard Nixon directly addressed the “silent majority” of Americans who he hoped would support his middle path policy on Vietnam. The speech itself, if you read it, is rather banal and unremarkable, but the turn of phrase came to be a powerful icon of the politics of the era. At a time when American society seemed in many ways to be pulling apart, Nixon argued for stability.

And with that phrase, he offered recognition to the large number of Americans who were neither Black Panthers nor Klansmen, neither war hawks nor hippies, just basically normal middle-class white people who rejected Jim Crow without embracing Black Power, disliked the war but disliked communism even more.

Nixon’s presidency itself descended into oblivion, but his silent majority of hard hats and conformists carried forward, dominating American politics for the rest of the 20th century. Under George W. Bush, Republican rhetoric took a different turn — more overtly pious and messianic — but in the wake of Bushism’s self-discrediting collapse, Nixonian themes have strongly reemerged under the leadership of Donald Trump.

Trump-branded signs intoning the slogan “THE SILENT MAJORITY STANDS WITH TRUMP” festoon his rallies, and optimistic writers invoke the notion of a silent majority to tout theories that the polls are undercounting Trump voters.

But though Trumpniks are certainly the demographic descendants of Nixon’s white working-class silent majority, the basic reality is that they are anything but silent. Trump’s rallies are, as Trump would be the first to tell you, enormous, raucous affairs. He brings in big ratings. He attracts constant coverage, and so do his supporters, in the form of endlessly writerly explorations of the agonizing anxieties of “Trump Country” communities afflicted by everything from deindustrialization to opiate addiction to an influx of immigrants from the Dominican Republic.


More :VOX

9 replies, 850 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply There's a new “silent majority,” and it's voting for Hillary Clinton (Original post)
Stellar Oct 2016 OP
Cha Oct 2016 #1
Stellar Oct 2016 #3
Cha Oct 2016 #4
MADem Oct 2016 #2
randome Oct 2016 #5
Stellar Oct 2016 #6
riversedge Oct 2016 #7
randome Oct 2016 #9

Response to Stellar (Original post)

Wed Oct 19, 2016, 10:48 AM

1. The New Silent Majority is Minorities and educated Women!

Thank you, Stellar~

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Cha (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 19, 2016, 10:58 AM

3. hey, hey, hey, Cha!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Stellar (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 19, 2016, 11:00 AM

4. Aloha and Good Morning, Stellar!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Stellar (Original post)

Wed Oct 19, 2016, 10:51 AM

2. A lot of those silent majority types are registered Republicans.

We know there are a ton of them named BUSH. You don't dis their Jebbie and get away with it!

I think a lot of 'good Republican wives' will respond to Trump's invective, and grab him by the voting lever and pull it for HRC, too.

This part of the essay is interesting:

The new silent majority is quiet
Clinton led in the Democratic primary from the first day to the last, and has consistently led in general election polling since the beginning of the campaign. Yet the Clinton voter has not made the same kind of impression on the media, in part because the new silent majority voter offers less visible evidence of being fired up and the new silent majority’s signature politicians — Clinton and Obama — do not do grand performance of anger, even at a time when rage is all the rage in American politics.

This is almost certainly not a coincidence. As Rebecca Traister wrote after the Iowa caucus, “No one likes a woman who yells loudly about revolution”:

And no, it’s not just this woman. This is a paradigm; it’s why Mom is the disciplinarian and Dad is the fun guy, why women remain the brains and organizational workhorses behind social movements while men get to be the gut-ripping orators, why so many women still manage campaigns and so many men are still candidates.


Obama, of course, is in a similar boat. Trump can deliver a speech excoriating establishment elites in business and government who don’t care about his people and sound like a populist champion to white America. An angry black man talking about his desire to burn down the system would sound like, well, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, whom Obama had to loudly and immediately disavow to be deemed acceptable to a sufficiently large minority of white voters to win....But Clinton’s silent majority is also hard to see precisely because it’s so diverse. There is not necessarily a “typical Clinton voter” in the sense that an older, white working-class person is a typical Trump voter and a young white college graduate was a typical Bernie voter. As a mid-30s, non-observant Jewish college graduate, I’m a very typical Clinton voter. But so is my older gay neighbor, and the black mom living a few houses down, and the house next door of single women roommates. The affluent DC suburb of Arlington County will deliver Clinton a hefty haul of votes, but so will the small, slightly-poorer-than-average city of Richmond, Virginia, and rural, poor areas like Holmes County, Mississippi, and Starr County, Texas.

You can’t profile “Clinton Country” or the “Clinton voter” as a single kind of person or place. Clinton Country, instead, is like America itself — vast and diverse, incorporating a staggering range of disparate individuals and localities that do not have an enormous amount in common beyond allegiance to a common set of political ideals.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Stellar (Original post)

Wed Oct 19, 2016, 11:03 AM

5. If we retake both Senate and House, this may be the start of a permanent GOP minority.

 

If we succeed, we must never let these classless, lazy losers have the reins of power again.
[hr][font color="blue"][center]A 90% chance of rain means the same as a 10% chance:
It might rain and it might not.
[/center][/font][hr]

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to randome (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 19, 2016, 11:07 AM

6. That's RIGHT...GOTV! nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Stellar (Original post)

Wed Oct 19, 2016, 11:28 AM

7. @mattyglesias The Hillary Clinton voter has become the most under-covered story of 2016.........



Eric Boehlert ‏@EricBoehlert 2h2 hours ago

Eric Boehlert Retweeted Matthew Yglesias

good examination; here's my look at how Clinton voters have been ignored by press for most of 2016; http://mm4a.org/2dCmGTK






Matthew Yglesias Verified account
‏@mattyglesias

The Hillary Clinton voter has become the most under-covered story of 2016



https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/788726453206708224


http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/19/13288594/new-silent-majority?utm_campaign=mattyglesias&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter





?t=HBiZAWh0dHBzOi8vY2RuMC52b3gtY2RuLmNvbS90aHVtYm9yL1dPaXROTHhnU3VWMTBvTVhpQ1d6TGRDN2toVT0vMHgwOjMwMDB4MTY2Ny8xMDgweDYwMC9jZG4wLnZveC1jZG4uY29tL3VwbG9hZHMvY2hvcnVzX2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlLzUxNDAzMzI5LzYxNDI1NTg0NC4wLmpwZxTwEBTqCBwUhAYUlAMAABYAEgA&s=1pW3Np33QfBVHLlqah7cz3i3lNDPfLUXh1WUqwsLaMc




Some Responses:

Propane Jane™ ‏@docrocktex26 2h2 hours ago

@JohnT15 @mattyglesias @voxdotcom Thankfully y'all are way ahead of the game!
0 replies 1 retweet 5 likes
John Thornton ‏@JohnT15 1h1 hour ago

@docrocktex26 @mattyglesias @voxdotcom Despite Trump support, TX is vision 4 future: diverse, inclusive, financially responsible, & wealthy.
0 replies 1 retweet 1 like

(((Maggy))) ‏@Maggyw519 53m53 minutes ago

@mattyglesias @voxdotcom erasure of Hillary and Dems is epidemic
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

Kate ‏@KC_Wheels 2h2 hours ago

@mattyglesias good piece but doesn't cover part of the reason we are silent - abuse heaped on his by folks who disagree.
0 replies 1 retweet 30 likes

View other replies
Molly ‏@Plantflowes 2h2 hours ago

@KC_Wheels @mattyglesias Nope that isn't it. Don't make us sound like cowards who can be bullied. Basically, we're busy peopele.



Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Stellar (Original post)

Wed Oct 19, 2016, 11:41 AM

9. The true silent majority sees things differently, thank god.

 

Despite the threats, the red-meat issues, the constant degradation of opponents, it's inspiring to know that America is not so easily cajoled into hatred and we will turn Trump and his supporters away. The tide continues to turn.

http://www.rogerwaters.org/kaos.html
Silence. White out. Black out. Lights out. It didn't happen, we're still alive. Billy has drained the earth of power to create his illusion. All over the dark side of the earth, candles are lit. In the pub in Billy's home village in Wales one man starts to sing; the other men join in. The tide is turning.

Billy is home.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread