HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » What it's like to be inti...

Wed Oct 26, 2016, 12:28 PM

What it's like to be intimidated at the polls

During the April 26th primary in Pennsylvania, I helped a democratic candidate (Dave Mattei) run a write-in campaign to represent the 137th district. The 137th is currently represented by Joe Emrick, a Republican who regularly votes against women’s rights. While I was standing in line to vote, shouting broke out behind me. I turned and saw Emrick talking to the judge of elections. He had come into the polling place and instructed the judge to keep an eye on me, warning her I might do something illegal. He’d said my name loud enough that several of my neighbors heard him, including my husband who never hesitates to stand up to bullies—hence the shouting.

Joe skedaddled, and I turned to one of the poll workers. “That was Joe Emrick,” I told her. “He’s an elected official, he’s on the ballot, and I know he doesn’t vote here so what was he doing in this room?”

Her only response was a blank stare and a mumbled, “I don’t know.”

I went in to the booth, cast my ballot, then repeated my complaint to the judge of elections on the way out. All I got was another “I don’t know”. I walked outside, fuming, and that’s when it hit me—I’d forgotten to write in Dave’s name, something I’d been encouraging other people to do for days.

An elected official came into my polling place to intimidate me and he’d succeeded. Worse, two different poll workers responded only with shrugs of indifference. It took three phone calls and a letter to get any response from the Election Board. According to one official, Emrick received nothing more than a scolding for his behavior. (One bright spot, Emrick’s shenanigans failed. Dave Mattei will be on the ballot on Nov. 8th).

4 replies, 1367 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply What it's like to be intimidated at the polls (Original post)
perdita9 Oct 2016 OP
beachbum bob Oct 2016 #1
perdita9 Oct 2016 #3
TeamPooka Oct 2016 #2
perdita9 Oct 2016 #4

Response to perdita9 (Original post)

Wed Oct 26, 2016, 01:38 PM

1. all you can do is take the names and call the supervisor of elections immediately to lodge

a complaint and then call the media

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to beachbum bob (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 26, 2016, 03:49 PM

3. The media isn't much help

The Democratic committee put out a statement about it after the election to all the local news outlets. None of them showed any interest

Reply to this post

Response to perdita9 (Original post)

Wed Oct 26, 2016, 01:44 PM

2. If it's any consolation you are getting under his skin and in his head if he showed up to

complain about you.
Don't let him throw you on Election Day.
Keep up the great work!

BTW Notify your local media about what he did during the primary
someone may want to run a piece about it

Reply to this post

Response to TeamPooka (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 26, 2016, 03:50 PM

4. Yeah, I tried that

We live in a red town. The papers won't publish on it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread