HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » PBS Newshour - Video anal...

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 12:07 AM

PBS Newshour - Video analysis of current state of the Democratic Primary race.

Syndicated columnist Mark Shields and New York Times columnist David Brooks join Judy Woodruff to discuss the week’s news, including whether Vice President Joe Biden will join the 2016 presidential race, whether Hillary Clinton has stumbled as a frontrunner and why Sen. Bernie Sanders still seems like a long shot despite drawing huge crowds.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/shields-brooks-bidens-presidential-pondering-voter-perceptions-clinton/

The pbs.org link above was kinda wonky (poor stream) in my browser, so here's the youtube clip (same video)

This end-of-week summary of Democratic Primary politics is a refreshing combination of realization and candor. PBS Newshour has not done a particularly good job covering Bernie imo, and David Brooks has been relentlessly dismissive of his candidacy ever since he announced, but Sanders supporters may find the conclusion of this discussion somewhat encouraging.

9 replies, 1456 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply PBS Newshour - Video analysis of current state of the Democratic Primary race. (Original post)
kenn3d Aug 2015 OP
elleng Aug 2015 #1
NRaleighLiberal Aug 2015 #2
Stardust Aug 2015 #3
Old Crow Aug 2015 #4
passiveporcupine Aug 2015 #5
left-of-center2012 Aug 2015 #6
kenn3d Aug 2015 #7
Ron Green Aug 2015 #8
MBS Aug 2015 #9

Response to kenn3d (Original post)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 12:11 AM

1. and Martin O'Malley virtually ignored.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 12:14 AM

2. I just can't watch David Brooks. Ever. He makes me physically ill - such a hypocrite

when he is not just lying out his ass

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 12:37 AM

3. Thank you so much for sharing that. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 02:56 AM

4. I'm sorry, but...

... I find these three fossils have had their heads up the butt of the status quo for so long, I don't consider their opinions worth much. The only people, in my experience, who watch them and take them seriously are those like my parents, who are both in their '80s, and consider David Brooks "such a nice young man." (I bite my tongue.)

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 02:58 AM

5. Well, I'm glad I watched that.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 05:23 AM

6. Thanks for posting this

I try to watch them each Friday, not always agreeing with them.
A football game distracted me this week.
I liked Shields comments on Bernie.

And was it Brooks who said Hillary is "inevitable but weak"?
That's why many HC supporters are switching to Bernie.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 08:19 AM

7. What struck me about this broadcast...

What struck me about this broadcast was the way they all kinda gradually came to the realization that despite their own on-going punditry to the contrary, and the pervasive dismissiveness of his candidacy in the MSM at large, Sanders' message is still getting through... even to them.

I must wonder if the same isn't also happening to some extent within the DNC, especially after his speech yesterday.

We live in interesting times friends.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 12:19 PM

8. These clowns.

They tried so mightily to stick to their bullshit "horse race" script, and only after being forced to talk about Bernie's numbers did they mention a real issue.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 01:18 PM

9. I thought this was an exceptionally thoughtful conversation

.. and in fact I was about to post this myself, until I noticed that you beat me to it!

Highly recommended for both fans and skeptics of the candidacies, or (Biden) potential candidacies, of Bernie, Hillary and Joe Biden. There is something here for everyone!

I am still neutral regarding the Dem primaries, and, at this rate, will probably remain so until the moment I cast a ballot in my state's primary. I liked this conversation because it laid out the pluses and minuses of all three people in question, pretty much as I see them, too.

I also found it refreshing, in this Age of Yelling, that it really WAS a conversation, and that both pundits actually listened to and responded to each other in civil fashion.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread