HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » History of Feminism (Group) » 25 Examples Of Male Privi...

Thu Jun 11, 2015, 12:12 PM

25 Examples Of Male Privilege From A Trans Guyís Perspective

This is so excellent!
1. Iím suddenly funny.
Iíve always been dry, sarcastic, and satirical with my humour. In Ye Olden Times, I was considered unfunny at best Ė and a bitch at worst. Now that Iím a short white guy, people automatically peg me for a comedian and laugh at the bulk of my mouth zings. But nothing has changed. Iíve even recycled some of my old material that people didnít find funny before just to make sure.

2. Yet Iím still taken (more) seriously.
Iím still amazed at the amount of people that now immediately shut their mouths the second I open mine. Believe me, my ideas havenít improved at all. Iíve even tried to derail serious conversations with ludicrous stuff just to see what would happen Ė and Iíd still be regarded highly.

3. I rarely get interrupted.
I used to be interrupted so often while presenting as a woman that I in turn started to talk over people as a form of conversational survival. Unfortunately, because it became so ingrained in me, I still find myself doing it from time to time even though itís rarely necessary anymore.

4. I get paid more.
The proof is in my paychecks. Actual, numerical proof.

5. Itís easier for me to be poor.
Aside from usually getting paid more, itís been easier to find work when the person doing the hiring is a white guy. Itís like helping out a buddy or something.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesstjamesvi/male-privilege-from-a-trans-guyas-perspective-1mcmp#.weqABVZzM

3 replies, 1231 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply 25 Examples Of Male Privilege From A Trans Guyís Perspective (Original post)
ismnotwasm Jun 2015 OP
Name removed Jun 2015 #1
eridani Jun 2015 #2
Name removed Jun 2015 #3

Response to ismnotwasm (Original post)

Sun Jun 14, 2015, 04:41 AM

2. From the other direction, trans women often say--

--that they were not at all prepared for sexism.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread