HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control Reform Activism (Group) » Children are murded in sc...

Sun Dec 1, 2019, 01:13 PM

Children are murded in schools because of a Constitutional Amendment that

makes it easy to murder children in schools.

Or anywhere else, for that matter.

First, the title is a rewording taken from Quichotte, by Salman Rushdie, but it is so brutal, so fitting, that I borrowed it for this short piece.

And to be fair, the Second Amendment, in my view, was never intended to allow for personal, in home ownership of guns by everyone. But Antonin Scalia, that darling of the so-called originalist school, claimed to find that right hidden in the actual words of an Amendment that never mentions any such right.

Part of Scalia's secret formula for this discovery was to redact 1/2 of the original words written by the framers so he could claim to find this individual right in words that actually linked the limited right to membership in a well-regulated militia.

And in consequence, we have children being murdered in schools so weapons manufacturers can profit from their deaths. In this vicious circle of violence, each shooting prompts gun owners to buy more guns and prompts right wing legislators to pass more Bills designed to make it even easier for people to bring guns into schools.

15 replies, 3401 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Children are murded in schools because of a Constitutional Amendment that (Original post)
guillaumeb Dec 2019 OP
keithbvadu2 Dec 2019 #1
guillaumeb Dec 2019 #3
Karadeniz Dec 2019 #2
guillaumeb Dec 2019 #4
Merlot Dec 2019 #5
guillaumeb Dec 2019 #6
JH7DF5J Dec 2019 #7
ehrnst Dec 2019 #8
Name removed Dec 2019 #10
ehrnst Dec 2019 #12
Name removed Dec 2019 #13
guillaumeb Dec 2019 #9
Post removed Dec 2019 #11
Name removed Dec 2019 #14
guillaumeb Dec 2019 #15

Response to guillaumeb (Original post)

Sun Dec 1, 2019, 03:08 PM

1. To the gun industry, dead children are merely collateral damage/acceptable losses for gun industry p

To the gun industry, dead children are merely collateral damage/acceptable losses for gun industry profits and political donations.

Joe The Plumber: ‘Your Dead Kids Don’t Trump My Constitutional Rights’ To Have Guns

Ironic how he chose that verb back in 2014

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/27/joe-the-plumber-guns_n_5397981.html

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to keithbvadu2 (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 1, 2019, 10:56 PM

3. The only value that the NRA leadership recognizes is the value of their

portfolios.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 1, 2019, 03:50 PM

2. I usually like Ali Velshi on economic matters, but he recently interviewed 3 hunters or

Gun enthusiasts from Wisconsin maybe. He asked a lot of questions and all the answers were what you'd fear. Ali takes people down for incorrect financial facts, so I kept waiting for his last question to be, "And what well-regulated militia do each of you belong to?" It never came.

Reply to this post

Response to Karadeniz (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 1, 2019, 10:57 PM

4. In my view, the NRA always plays to the fear of a certain minority,

(and gun owners are a minority), that they will be oppressed by some enemy.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 11:49 AM

5. Children aren't murdered by a Constitutional Amendment

They are murdered by politicians and justices (scalia) who distort the amendment to appease the gun manufactures.

Reply to this post

Response to Merlot (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 06:22 PM

6. Gun sales are often fear driven.

Fear of that scary other.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 19, 2019, 02:27 AM

7. One of the most effective ways to stop mass shootings

i think would be to make it illegal for MSM to cover it. Mass shooters want to be on national tv. They want people to know about their ideas and their "manifest".

Reply to this post

Response to JH7DF5J (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 19, 2019, 10:14 AM

8. How do you "make it illegal" for the free press to cover something? The First Amendment:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

That really sounds like the philosphy of an autocrat, not a society that allows freedom of the press...

Reply to this post

Response to ehrnst (Reply #8)

Response to Name removed (Reply #10)

Wed Dec 25, 2019, 09:23 PM

12. So again... how do you go about criminalizing journalists for reporting on an event

without becoming what Trump is, and violating the First Amendment, and therefore overrulling the Constitution?

That's what dictators do.

The First Amendment doesn't make exceptions for journalists who report on events you don't want them to, nor does it criminalize ownership of a news entity by a for-profit entity, no matter how large.

This is what the FoxNews viewership wants for the rest of the media that reports on events and revelations about Trump that enrage them. They see THAT as evidence that the media is "corrupt," and "un-Christian" and "Evil"

Are you sure that you want be banging that drum along with them?

Reply to this post

Response to ehrnst (Reply #12)

Response to JH7DF5J (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 19, 2019, 11:39 AM

9. Welcome to DU.

The most effective way is to make gun ownership dependent on being in a well regulated militia.

Reply to this post

Response to guillaumeb (Reply #9)

Response to guillaumeb (Reply #9)

Response to Name removed (Reply #14)

Thu Dec 26, 2019, 12:56 PM

15. Welcome to DU.

The best examples of well regulated militias are the National Guard and the armed forces.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread