HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » Philosophy (Group) » Ayn Rand movie

Mon Oct 19, 2020, 10:44 AM

Ayn Rand movie

I was looking for a good movie about a philosopher the other day and found one on Ayn Rand. When I read the Wiki page, I was aghast. She has followers like Alan Greenspan. She advocated that the industrialists or intellectual creators, should not have to "work for the masses". I thought, she could be Donald Trump's Mother. Yikes. And people like Mark Zuckerberg and Jeff Bezos would love her. I thought the motto "Greed is Good", would fall in line with her philosophy too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passion_of_Ayn_Rand_(film)

The film stars Helen Mirren as philosopher and novelist Ayn Rand, who engages in an affair with Nathaniel Branden, played by Eric Stoltz, a psychologist who is 25 years younger than she is. Branden built up an institute to spread Rand's ideas, but the two eventually had a falling-out. The film also stars Julie Delpy as Branden's wife Barbara and Peter Fonda as Rand's husband Frank O'Connor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand

7 replies, 421 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ayn Rand movie (Original post)
Beringia Oct 19 OP
BKDem Oct 19 #1
Miguelito Loveless Oct 19 #2
cilla4progress Oct 19 #3
murielm99 Oct 19 #4
cilla4progress Oct 19 #5
Fortinbras Armstrong Oct 20 #6
kairos12 Nov 20 #7

Response to Beringia (Original post)

Mon Oct 19, 2020, 11:00 AM

1. Ayn was a sexual predator and a favorite author of 12-year-old boys...

... as well as boys who never grew up, like Paul Ryan.

She died of cancer on welfare. Moocher.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Oct 19, 2020, 11:18 AM

2. Ayn Rand wrote the most

boring prose, with almost a total lack of critical thinking. The only reason her narrative "works" is because the fictional characters she creates are projections of her own defective thinking.

If you would like the best deconstruction of Atlas Shrugged ever, you can find it here:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2013/03/atlas-shrugged-a-novel-for-the-1/

It is BRUTAL.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 19, 2020, 11:23 AM

3. A few of my high school friends - all girls -

all read Ayn Rand more or less together. Somehow we became enraptured.

I think I'm the only person to not get caught in her sway as far as social policy! Funnily, I did take her philosophy to heart in terms of my own actions- I always try to excel, etc., but, never did I apply it to "the masses."

Reply to this post

Response to cilla4progress (Reply #3)

Mon Oct 19, 2020, 11:30 AM

4. I remember reading her books

when I was in high school. I outgrew them quickly. And....they were poorly written.

Reply to this post

Response to murielm99 (Reply #4)

Mon Oct 19, 2020, 11:35 AM

5. I think I was perhaps less discerning!

I loved the canvas of the stories, the characters, the sweep!

Ah...youth!

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 10:21 AM

6. One thing to point out about The Fountainhead

Why does Roark blow up that building? Because he is pissed off at the owners. Destroying someone else's property out of personal pique is unacceptable behavior in a three-year-old.

And why is he pissed off at the owners? Because they changed his design for the building. In the real world, this happens all the time. In the mid-1980s, I worked as a technical writer for a software company. They had me write an article for Byte magazine, and while I was writing it, my boss and several other people read and criticized each draft. When it came out, the only pieces to remain intact from my first draft were the opening and closing paragraphs. Did I throw a tantrum? Of course not.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 20, 2020, 09:50 AM

7. Rand was against Social Security

before she was for it, and needed it.

She is a vile, disgusting piece of trash.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread