HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Support Groups » Diabetes Support Group (Group) » Possible muscle tear in c...

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 11:28 AM

Possible muscle tear in calf and not being able to ride my bike.

Some here may know that part of my type 2 diabetes maintenance is bicycling. I normally ride 7 to 8 hours weekly. Today is Thursday, Tuesday evening I was walking down our porch steps when I experienced a sharp pain in my calf, specifically the gastrocnemius muscle. Needless to say this has curtailed my daily cycling ride. I see the doctor tomorrow. I have done R.I.C.E. and am taking ibuprofen. Anyway back to blood glucose levels.

This morning's fBG was 178 mg/dl. My usual is <100. We have a think called "Desk Cycle." My son said, Try using it as a hand cycle. We set it on my desk and I did 20 minutes. I retested and was at 105. It is amazing what a bit of aerobic exercise does for my BG.

4 replies, 170 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Possible muscle tear in calf and not being able to ride my bike. (Original post)
TexasProgresive Thursday OP
WhiteTara Thursday #1
TexasProgresive Thursday #3
Adsos Letter Thursday #2
TexasProgresive Thursday #4

Response to TexasProgresive (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 11:42 AM

1. Arnica gel is a miracle.

It won't repair the torn muscle, but it will help heal it. A bit a capisan will help with the pain. Good uck.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to WhiteTara (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 01:09 PM

3. Thank you, WhiteTara, I am using an arnica product called T-Relief.

It's a creme not a gel. It does wonders for pain. I am not in any great pain now.Between the elevation, compression,ibuprofen and arinca the pain is in to background but enough I don't do something stupid to make the tear worse.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasProgresive (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 12:18 PM

2. Exercise is key for me.

I have a comfortable recumbent stationary bike that I ride about 40 minutes per day. That, and removing milk from my diet, dropped my A1c by 2 points.

Good luck with the muscle tear. Give yourself plenty of time to heal properly.

Reply to this post

Response to Adsos Letter (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 01:16 PM

4. I tell people that "exercise is the key" for diabetics.

For me aerobic is the best.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread