HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Groups » Bernie Sanders (Group) » According to Black Lives ...

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 06:20 PM

According to Black Lives Matter, they don't matter to Clinton.

The letter written by Black Lives Activist Ashley Williams is very powerful. It states the case against Clinton quite well.

Here are some important points made by Ms. Williams:

“Here's the truth: the Clinton legacy has left our prisons bursting at the seams. Real lives have been destroyed as a result. It is an indisputable fact that millions of Black people were locked up for drug crimes and provided the bodies for the expansion of the prison industry.

The 1994 Crime Bill that she so vigorously defended not only expanded incarceration, but stripped funding for college education from prisoners. The Clinton legacy allowed for policies that prevented anyone convicted of a felony drug offense from receiving food stamps or income assistance. Clinton-led welfare reform fundamentally ripped apart the social safety net.”

“Make no mistake, Hillary Clinton's efforts to push these policies resulted in the continued destruction of Black communities and the swift growth of our mass incarceration crisis.”

Make no mistake, this is Hillary Clinton. She "left our prisons bursting at the seams." She "stripped funding for college education from prisoners." She supported policies that prevented anyone convicted of a felony drug offense from receiving food stamps or income assistance. Clinton-led welfare reform fundamentally ripped apart the social safety net.”

This is the Hillary Clinton that some believe will fight for social justice. Some like her because she is tough, well she certainly showed that she is tough against the minority communities. And Cheney was tough. I think compassion and empathy are more important than toughness.

26 replies, 2075 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply According to Black Lives Matter, they don't matter to Clinton. (Original post)
rhett o rick Feb 2016 OP
Half-Century Man Feb 2016 #1
rhett o rick Feb 2016 #3
Half-Century Man Feb 2016 #5
Politicalboi Feb 2016 #2
rhett o rick Feb 2016 #4
thesquanderer Feb 2016 #14
rhett o rick Feb 2016 #21
wendylaroux Feb 2016 #6
840high Feb 2016 #12
wendylaroux Feb 2016 #16
SoapBox Feb 2016 #7
Plucketeer Feb 2016 #9
DirtyHippyBastard Feb 2016 #10
Trust Buster Feb 2016 #8
wendylaroux Feb 2016 #17
Trust Buster Feb 2016 #18
wendylaroux Feb 2016 #19
Trust Buster Feb 2016 #20
rhett o rick Feb 2016 #22
stupidicus Feb 2016 #11
MisterP Feb 2016 #13
Trust Buster Feb 2016 #15
rhett o rick Feb 2016 #23
Hydra Mar 2016 #24
rhett o rick Mar 2016 #25
Major Hogwash Mar 2016 #26

Response to rhett o rick (Original post)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 06:26 PM

1. After watching videos of Ms. Clinton dismiss BLM representatives twice.

I'm thinking Ms Williams is correct.
At best, BLM seem to be of secondary importance, something to do "later".

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Half-Century Man (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 06:34 PM

3. For one thing she doesn't really like them and it comes out when she isn't prepared

to give her rhetoric about the subject. Her contempt was clear.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 06:38 PM

5. In both videos, It seemed that way to me too.

She is talking down to someone(s), she would greatly prefer not to have to speak to.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 06:27 PM

2. Oh come on now

She needs their votes, and that is all that matters. Just move on for now and take a number, she'll get back to you on that.

Reply to this post

Response to Politicalboi (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 06:36 PM

4. But she wasn't smart enough to recognize the opportunity to make some points with the AA

community. She dismissed Ms. Williams with contempt and comes back later when her staff prepared a half-assed apology.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #4)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:08 PM

14. Seems like she didn't know it was being captured on video.

At this point, politicians should assume they're always being captured on video.

That said, while it seemed like a bit of a bombshell here, it looks like it didn't make a whit of difference in South Carolina. I expect the southern AA vote will be similarly kind to her tomorrow.

Reply to this post

Response to thesquanderer (Reply #14)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 10:10 PM

21. Doesn't matter if she knew or not, she is terrible when faced with the unexpected.

She needs to plan for her answers. I don't know why the AA community would support a representative of the greedy wealthy 1% that has made all our lives terrible especially PoC.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 08:07 PM

6. Could you imagine treating another human being like that?

and those hissing cockroaches in the crowd,could not believe my ears.

Good for you Ashley!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to wendylaroux (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:02 PM

12. Ashley was so brave.

Reply to this post

Response to 840high (Reply #12)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:16 PM

16. She looked very young and nervous,I felt bad for her,but I

also felt proud of her,standing up for people like she did.I know I could

not have done that.That was courage right there.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 08:12 PM

7. This why I ask...what has she done for Communities of Color?

...there is never, ever an answer.

Reply to this post

Response to SoapBox (Reply #7)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 08:45 PM

9. She's advocated

to give many POC free room and board (and you WOULDN'T BELIEVE how much this costs us!) for non-violent infractions of the law. Some were lucky enough to get this treatment for the rest of their lives!

Reply to this post

Response to SoapBox (Reply #7)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 08:52 PM

10. I, too, have been waiting months for an answer to that same question.

My guess for why we don't get one is that there is no snarky "got ya" answer. Well, that or the answer is nothing good.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 08:39 PM

8. I find it shameful that the same Bernie Sanders supporters who have dismissed

thousands of African American voters in South Carolina feel that they have license to glom onto a single opinion of an African American voter that they feel is politically beneficial to their goals.

Reply to this post

Response to Trust Buster (Reply #8)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:21 PM

17. Am not "glomming on to nothing"

I felt bad for that young lady,she looked scared,and the way those entitled assholes treated her,

shit,that was awful.

I am proud of Ashley,that took courage!!

Reply to this post

Response to wendylaroux (Reply #17)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:29 PM

18. She looked scared ? She crashed and interrupted an event. Why dismiss the thousands of

African American voters in SC if you're so concerned ?

Reply to this post

Response to Trust Buster (Reply #18)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:33 PM

19. I saw a young woman,scared,nervous,standing up for good,

I saw and heard hissing and nastiness from that rich ass crowd.

It made me sick.

And what are you talking about,by the way.

Reply to this post

Response to wendylaroux (Reply #19)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:42 PM

20. She was the aggressor. She crashed and selfishly interrupted an event that many people

attended. I would be nervous too if I chose to do that. It comes with the territory. That's all I intend to add on this subject.

Reply to this post

Response to Trust Buster (Reply #8)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 10:16 PM

22. How can a Democrat read her letter and then dismiss her? Can you refute what she said?

“Make no mistake, Hillary Clinton's efforts to push these policies resulted in the continued destruction of Black communities and the swift growth of our mass incarceration crisis.”

This is obvious. She is a tough person, tough on the 99%. She takes money for her personal wealth from those that profit from her policies that have "resulted in the continued destruction of Black communities and the swift growth of our mass incarceration crisis.” Tell me you don't recognize that the Prisons For Profit have financially benefited from these policies. Tell me it's ok for her to accept money from them.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 08:59 PM

11. Isn't this where denial of Pell Grants for college for drug offenses began as well?

and given the disproportionate figures on arrest and conviction for stuff like that, I suppose the case could be made that they wanted to punish them twice, as well as striving to keep them under/uneducated and....

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:06 PM

13. she's had them thrown out, told them to become a campaign arm "or I'll only talk to white people,"

her donors hiss at protesters, and she cheerily said "all lives matter" (in the corrective sense of the phrase) at a Black church; she's the only candidate BLM still has to interrupt and protest!

she's pro-DP, anti-marijuana reform, doubled poverty, pro-outsourcing, and pro-jail--but very good at getting people to ignore her record for "winnability"

Reply to this post

Response to MisterP (Reply #13)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:11 PM

15. Unfair post

Reply to this post

Response to Trust Buster (Reply #15)

Mon Feb 29, 2016, 10:20 PM

23. How so? We in the 99% are suffering from policies that she has championed. We have lost family

members to wars she has championed. She still champions fracking and job killing Free Trade Agreements.

She pretends to want to help with social justice because it's an election year. But ask her who will pay for her social justice. It will be the 99% and not the 1% that her and Bill belong to. In fact they are in the top 1% or the top 1%.

Reply to this post

Response to Trust Buster (Reply #15)

Tue Mar 1, 2016, 12:54 AM

24. ...Fair?

Fairness to presidential hopeful Clinton would be for her to be in the situations she helped create for her political gain.

No, fairness isn't even a possibility. We are simply talking about facts. Fairness is still miles away.

Reply to this post

Response to Hydra (Reply #24)

Tue Mar 1, 2016, 03:45 PM

25. Well said. nm

Reply to this post

Response to MisterP (Reply #13)

Tue Mar 1, 2016, 04:01 PM

26. Which is why only 1/3rd of the Black voters in SC went to the polls last weekend.

Only 1/3rd of the total registered Democratic voters in SC went to vote in their primary this last weekend.

The malaise had set in.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread