HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Groups » Bernie Sanders (Group) » What we need to do is loo...

Wed Mar 16, 2016, 02:27 PM

What we need to do is look forward. I am on the county platform committee. What should the platform

Be?

Where as the rest of the civilized world provides free collage education for everyone.
We realize we are harming our selves with the punitive way we force our students to finance their educations.

We are dedicate to the following positions:
1) The interest rate on all existing student loan debt is reduced to ZERO percent.
2) Every future student shall be able to attend public institutions of learning tuition free.
2.a) The expense shall be paid by a .025% financial transaction tax on all stock bond and derivative transaction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where as we are the only country in the civilized world that forces our companies and working people to pay for a health insurance industry as well as their health care. Realizing that system of finance results in the highest cost, least efficient health care that adversely impacts our competition on the world market.

We are dedicated to the lower the eligibility age for MEDICARE to zero years old and make all citizens eligible at birth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where as the Social Security system has done an admirable job in lifting out senior population out of poverty; it has been allowed to atrophy and its' benefits have not increased to match senior expenses. This has been exasperated by the fact wages have been stagnant for the last 35 years.

We are dedicated to the position that we need to:
1) Eliminate the cap on income required to pay FICA tax on all income over $250,000/ year.
2) Increase the benefit amount to be at least 150% of the poverty rate.

Where as we realize the toxic effect fund raising has had on politics.

We are dedicated to establish PUBLIC FUNDING OF FEDERAL elections by the next federal election cycle.

Thoughts? ADDITIONS?

22 replies, 1604 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply What we need to do is look forward. I am on the county platform committee. What should the platform (Original post)
Vincardog Mar 2016 OP
gcomeau Mar 2016 #1
Vincardog Mar 2016 #2
gcomeau Mar 2016 #3
Vincardog Mar 2016 #4
gcomeau Mar 2016 #5
Vincardog Mar 2016 #6
gcomeau Mar 2016 #7
femmedem Mar 2016 #21
Vincardog Mar 2016 #8
Rebkeh Mar 2016 #10
eridani Mar 2016 #9
Vincardog Mar 2016 #12
Rebkeh Mar 2016 #11
Vincardog Mar 2016 #15
Rebkeh Mar 2016 #17
Rebkeh Mar 2016 #13
Vincardog Mar 2016 #14
mmonk Mar 2016 #16
Vincardog Mar 2016 #18
eridani Mar 2016 #19
femmedem Mar 2016 #20
Vincardog Mar 2016 #22

Response to Vincardog (Original post)

Wed Mar 16, 2016, 02:30 PM

1. Sanders platform.

But since Clinton opposes Single Payer and opposes the tuition plan and derides progressive social programs in general as giving away free stuff and promising people ponies good luck with that if she's the nominee.

So I'd suggest focusing on the primary fight as long as there is any possibility of salvaging things. Because if Sanders doesn't pull it off forget any hopes you have of reforming the party.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to gcomeau (Reply #1)

Wed Mar 16, 2016, 02:33 PM

2. We are writing the platform now. What would you add or change? IT is our party and our platform.

Reply to this post

Response to Vincardog (Reply #2)

Wed Mar 16, 2016, 02:36 PM

3. Look, good luck to you in your efforts...

But the bottom line is either Sanders is the nominee and any progressive elements you get in the platform will be acted on, or Clinton is the nominee and any progressive elements you get in the platform will be ignored.

So sorry, I really can't get into the "let's write a platform" head space at the moment. So long as there is still a chance Sanders pulls it off that's where all attention should be. If he wins the platform will be his.

If he doesn't pull it off and the party selects the status quo candidate yet again even in this of all years when we had the strongest possible progressive alternative.... fuck em. I'm walking and I don't give a shit what they put in their platform because I won't believe a word of it will be enacted anyway.

Reply to this post

Response to gcomeau (Reply #3)

Wed Mar 16, 2016, 02:38 PM

4. You do realize that even if we get Bernie then nomination we still have to do the work of getting our

ideas into the party mechanics right?
We write the platform and get the down ticket candidates to run on that platform.
That is how we force the discussion . That is how we get the party to reflect OUR interests.

It is like walking and chewing gum.

Reply to this post

Response to Vincardog (Reply #4)

Wed Mar 16, 2016, 02:40 PM

5. Yep. And if he gets the nomination then that's the time to do that.

At the moment, other priorities.

Reply to this post

Response to gcomeau (Reply #5)

Wed Mar 16, 2016, 02:47 PM

6. We begin writing the platform this Sat. I you don't want to help go knock on doors.

Reply to this post

Response to Vincardog (Reply #6)

Wed Mar 16, 2016, 03:57 PM

7. I believe that's what I just said the priority should be... so yeah.

Reply to this post

Response to Vincardog (Reply #4)

Fri Mar 18, 2016, 09:25 AM

21. Yes! Progressive ideas often get traction at the state and local levels first.

National platforms then follow. Lgbtq rights are a good example.

Thank you for your work!

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 16, 2016, 05:15 PM

8. How about we add a guaranteed annual income of $24,000 a year for every citizen?

Reply to this post

Response to Vincardog (Reply #8)

Thu Mar 17, 2016, 12:21 PM

10. I like that idea nt

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 17, 2016, 06:10 AM

9. First step--check you state party to see what's already there

WA State has a much more progressive platform than is reflected in our elected officials.

http://www.wa-democrats.org/about/documents

Reply to this post

Response to eridani (Reply #9)

Thu Mar 17, 2016, 12:24 PM

12. Thanks for the link. IA democratic party is not so progressive

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 17, 2016, 12:24 PM

11. I'd like to see actual consequences for

Voter suppression, vote tampering and other interference with democracy per the vote. Regardless of party, the republicans are the biggest offenders but the democrats gladly accept it if it favors them.

Reply to this post

Response to Rebkeh (Reply #11)

Thu Mar 17, 2016, 12:31 PM

15. How about making voting a right? Make denying a person their right to vote a federal crime!

Reply to this post

Response to Vincardog (Reply #15)

Thu Mar 17, 2016, 12:45 PM

17. Yes!

And Democracy Day, a federal and state holiday for voting. Employers must also provide workers (the working poor,nurses, emergency workers, etc) ample time to vote.

And why not tally votes regardless of state/region? Why shouldn't progressives votes in conservative states count? We have the technology to use the popular vote nationwide, why are we still using such an outdated system?

One more - automatic registration (can opt out)

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 17, 2016, 12:26 PM

13. We also need a clear separation between the media and the government

I'm not sure how that would be done but something's got to be done.

Reply to this post

Response to Rebkeh (Reply #13)

Thu Mar 17, 2016, 12:30 PM

14. We could break up the media monopolies by enforcing the Sherman anti-trust act again. Make the

licenses to use our public airwaves contingent on some aspect of the public good.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 17, 2016, 12:40 PM

16. A bit of advice from someone who worked on platforms

at the state level. Politicians ignore them.

Reply to this post

Response to mmonk (Reply #16)

Thu Mar 17, 2016, 12:53 PM

18. Even if we get them to publicly endorse them? Like Obama promised to renegotiate NAFTA right.

Reply to this post

Response to mmonk (Reply #16)

Fri Mar 18, 2016, 04:53 AM

19. True, but there have been a number of moves in WA State by party activists to--

--get candidates ad office holders to state whether or not they disagree with any platform positions and why.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 18, 2016, 06:08 AM

20. How about a section addressing climate change?

Here in CT, we're battling to get shared solar, for example. You could focus on increased mass transit funding, a commitment to lower CO2 emissions by a certain percentage, or--depending on where you live--stopping certain fossil fuel extraction projects.

Reply to this post

Response to femmedem (Reply #20)

Fri Mar 18, 2016, 01:00 PM

22. Here in IA we fund ethanol plants and wind power

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread