HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Groups » Bernie Sanders (Group) » What if in 1968 Civil Rig...

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 07:35 AM

What if in 1968 Civil Rights Advocates protested Bobby Kennedy rallies?

What if they had demanded his silence and shut down his rallies? Unthinkable.

I know the situations aren't exactly parallel. This BLM situation and the disrespect shown Senator Sanders is not ok.

The campaign has to protect him from these protesters and tighten up security.

8 replies, 778 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply What if in 1968 Civil Rights Advocates protested Bobby Kennedy rallies? (Original post)
ALBliberal Aug 2015 OP
Ichingcarpenter Aug 2015 #1
sabrina 1 Aug 2015 #5
ALBliberal Aug 2015 #2
Smarmie Doofus Aug 2015 #3
sabrina 1 Aug 2015 #6
Chiquitita Aug 2015 #4
Ichingcarpenter Aug 2015 #7
Chiquitita Aug 2015 #8

Response to ALBliberal (Original post)

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 07:48 AM

1. They protested his Justice department and he came out and addressed them

in 1963 when he was in power to do something and did.

Attorney General Robert Kennedy talking via megaphone to protesters outside his Department of Justice

now they protest someone who is not in charge of the Justice Dept but may sometime be in a couple of years.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ichingcarpenter (Reply #1)

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 09:32 AM

5. And if these protesters were sincere that is what they would be doing

demanding that the Govt step in and protect AAs. What has either party done to stop the murders of AA by cops over the decades?

Not a thing, at least in the Rodney King case the DOJ did step in when local authorities failed to get a conviction. It was bad back then, not it is much worse.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 08:39 AM

2. Awesome. But no shutting down rallies and speeches? Different times....

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 09:10 AM

3. OK. But frankly, at some point , he's also got to tell them to fuck off.

I'm pretty sure they're paid; but even if they're just stupid, it makes him look un-presidential if a handful of screaming blackshirts takes over his mic and sends him packing while 10,000 supporters are waiting to hear him speak.

Inevitable comparisons will be drawn: is this what he's going to do when faced w. ISIS? ( i.e. throw up his hands and walk away?)

What if Israel decides to just annex the west band and repatriate it's inhabitants? ("Whattayagonnado?" It WON'T FLY.)

What about every other set of bad guys/gals in the world?

*No BACKBONE* will be the way it's played in $$$ media.

Putting him in this position.... confronting #blackshirtsmatter ... i.e. blackshirts ACTING IN THE NAME of #BLM, and so far indistinguishable from the larger movement... is doubtless part of the desired outcome ( i.e. from the blackshirts pov, and from the pov of whomever , if anyone, is paying them.). The assumption is he'll escalate the situation and be seen as hostile toward blacks and the AA vote will go to Clinton. ( Or "Ms. Arkansas Confederate Flag at the Statehouse"... as I like to call her.)

Or he'll them shut him the FUCK down.

At some point he's got to take on their fascist tactics directly. Can't let a handful of malevolent-but-useful-idiots take your whole campaign away.

Reply to this post

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 09:38 AM

6. He did exactly the right thing. There is nothing they would have liked better, and probably were

hoping for, than to get photos of AAs being taken out of a Bernie rally by force. He refused to give them that and handled it thoughtfully and rather than giving them the advantage, HE has the advantage and people now believe they are probably working for someone. Hillary's campaign is the loser here as many people are blaming her campaign, rightly or wrongly.

What would a President do in that situation? A good President would go talk to reasonable people, as Bernie did, he mingled with the people and by allowing them to take the stage, it was the very BEST way to let people SEE for themselves and judge for themselves, what the motives of these disrupters were.

However, now he must get security. No one should be able to get that close to a US Senator who is that hostile

They were a threat to his safety and next time, who knows what might happen?

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 09:24 AM

4. Different time, different tactics

Ultimately this isn't going to hurt Sanders' campaign. I think the campaign is handling it well and will continue to. The event is all over the media and is going to get the people who support BLM but not following the presidential race talking about Bernie and wondering about his policies. It will be an overall plus for him over time, as long as we Bernie supporters are skillful in how we deal with it.

If you look at the two young women's Facebook pages they look like two passionate, inexperienced firebrands. They are going to get tons of push back. But their tactics to reach their objective, forcing white progressives to prioritize action on policy brutality and the for-profit prison system, seem to have worked for the moment.

Reply to this post

Response to Chiquitita (Reply #4)

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 09:39 AM

7. Not with me.. it backfired and you know it.

BLM needs to condemn that rude behavior from these useful tools that are destroying a good movement.

Reply to this post

Response to Ichingcarpenter (Reply #7)

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 11:29 AM

8. BLM will do what it's going to do

we have no control over it. We only have some control over what the Bernie Sanders group on DU is gonna do. I think we should use non-violent speech and actions in this case. What do you advocate that we do that will make more voters, of all ages and hues, want to join us?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread