HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Reposting from LBN: Biden...
Joe BidenCongratulations to our presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden!

Thu Jun 6, 2019, 11:31 PM

Reposting from LBN: Biden says he no longer supports the Hyde Amendment

I suppose we can carry on, yes?

Source: CNN

"If I believe health care is a right, as I do, I can no longer support an amendment that makes that right dependent on someone's ZIP code," he said.

The Hyde Amendment is a four-decade-old ban on federal dollars being used for abortions except in cases of rape, incest or when the woman's life is in danger.

"But circumstances have changed. I've been working through the final details of my health care plan like others in this race and I've been struggling with the problems that Hyde now presents," Biden said.
He said he wants to achieve "universal coverage" and "provide for the full range of health services women need" through the continued expansion of Medicaid and offering a "public option" that would allow people to join Medicare.

"I can't justify leaving millions of women without access to the care they need and the ability to ... exercise their constitutionally protected right," he said.
"Folks, the times have changed. I don't think these guys are going to let up," Biden said, referring to Republicans.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/06/politics/biden-no-longer-supports-hyde-amendment/index.html
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Joe Biden

14 replies, 785 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to ancianita (Original post)

Thu Jun 6, 2019, 11:46 PM

1. Unity doesn't mean uniformity about our party's candidates. Support doesn't mean agreement.

We can still support our candidates even when we don't agree with them or their decided DU followers.

I agree with still_one about how we regard our Big Issues.

"One thing you do NOT want in a President, is someone who is so stubborn, that they won't change a position no matter how misguided it is ... this reflects very well on him."

Reconsidering, as Biden said he had, is what leaders who respect their country do. They change their minds as the country changes.

That's what a primary is for. It shows a process of airing, give and take, changing minds.

It doesn't reflect well on the media, that did the usual shit job of not covering the Hyde Amendment's iterations over 40 years, or reporting how every single candidate voted on those iterations. Except Bernie. And my guy, Inslee.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jun 6, 2019, 11:55 PM

2. Thank You for reposting, ancianita..

He said he wants to achieve "universal coverage" and "provide for the full range of health services women need" through the continued expansion of Medicaid and offering a "public option" that would allow people to join Medicare.

"I can't justify leaving millions of women without access to the care they need and the ability to ... exercise their constitutionally protected right," he said.
"Folks, the times have changed. I don't think these guys are going to let up," Biden said, referring to Republicans.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/06/politics/biden-no-longer-supports-hyde-amendment/index.html

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #2)

Fri Jun 7, 2019, 12:17 AM

6. Much appreciated, Cha!

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #6)

Fri Jun 7, 2019, 12:30 AM

8. I much appreciate your reasoned

thoughtfulness on Biden seeing the light!.. and not trying to make nefarious. Thank you!

My tweet to Cedric Richmond this morning..

I'm for Biden now.. but please tell him that he shouldn't be basing political decisions on "religion". Separation of Church and State. Thank you
When I came back after going out for a run I saw this tweet..

As you can imagine I was so appreciative!
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 6, 2019, 11:57 PM

3. ???

I gather this is saying what he thinks is needed for votes. I wonder what he really thinks.

Oh, well. Gotta take what candidates say w/a grain of salt.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #3)

Fri Jun 7, 2019, 12:21 AM

7. I gather this is saying what he needs to reflect about the realities we've learned about this law.

Directly ask him what he really thinks, since this sounds so disingenuous to you.

Here.

https://go.joebiden.com/page/s/contact-us

I got two signed letters from his supporter, Barack Obama, back in the day when I had similar questions.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #7)

Fri Jun 7, 2019, 12:36 AM

9. I think I know all I need to know.

He'll sign a bill w/the Hyde Amendment in it. He'll have to, whether he approves of it or not. That's reality.

The candidates are in the gathering stage. Gathering support & votes. They're not banging the gavel on firm beliefs on what to them are peripheral issues.

If it's not a long held view, or something that a candidate has been struggling with for years, it's not going to be a firmly held view (the new view). You don't change your mind in two days on something you've held the opposite view on for years...if it's something you care about. But that's fine. He's not necessarily in control of that, anyway. Bills will come to his desk with whatever is in them that took to get them passed in Congress.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #9)

Fri Jun 7, 2019, 12:49 AM

10. Actually you do change your mind over two intense days of feedback when you're a leader.

And you sign because you see the wisdom of The People. That's what makes leaders different when it's country over party.

It's not fine to believe that no one "really" changes; that they front until we dig into who they "really" are. That's conflict and difference-driven thinking. As if you want to see difference as a deficit. Everyone gets better when people let them. No one should be forced to always stay the way they once were. Pigeon holers try to do that to people. Not just leaders.

This boils down to church and state separation, anyway, not some personal problem that Biden has about why he changed his mind.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #10)

Fri Jun 7, 2019, 10:52 AM

12. LOL. A politician has an epiphany in two days...

over a 40-year-old belief that he's had, after he finds out that his belief/stance will cost him votes...and you think he changed his viewpoint? And mama bear said to the papa bear....

He's a politician in a presidential election. He's in the vote-getting early stage. Come on, now. He's not Moses with a tablet of written beliefs and rules. He's a career politician. His tablet is a chalk board, and he has chalk and an eraser. And that's fine.

It's not like a President has total control over these issues, anyway. The Hyde Amendment is not a huge issue for me (or many others), either. There are so many other things that are higher on the list.

Still, I prefer candidates who don't have epiphanies like that, when they find out it'll cost them votes.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #12)

Fri Jun 7, 2019, 12:09 PM

13. You don't call a considered decision "epiphany." Epiphanies exist in non-political, usually solitary

contexts, with the only input from some cosmic or barometric pressure change. (kidding, of course)

This announcement was the result of a country over personal belief decision, a separation of church and state decision, therefore a considered decision, brought out in a public speech to people who likely disagreed with him. No amount of mislabeling on your part can diminish what Biden did in reality.

Politicians are not MERE vote-getters, and your Moses reference is silly.

Biden's not just a career politician. He's got a philosophy in line with the Democratic Party's vision for this nation which is written on a platform, not chalk board; changeable in processes that are democratic and discussed, not simply erased.

The fact that a president doesn't have total control over unpopular law is a good thing, as many here appreciate. Just because the Hyde isn't a huge issue for you shouldn't suggest that you or the rest of us not recognize its impact on millions of the female half of the country. We do.

Epipanies are what Trump gets on his church VERSUS state path; he gets blessed by the christo-fascists of the evangelical right, then promoted as the antidote to democracy's problems of resolving differences about our way of life.

Don't equate leaders' changes of mind and policy with epiphanies. That just muddies discourse.

Now let's move on, since we both want the same end -- a man-over-country fakeass wannabe dictator, ass-kissed by his hand-picked corrupt crew of racist, sexist fearmongers -- shall we?

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #12)

Fri Jun 7, 2019, 12:47 PM

14. I'd blindly support a dogmatic and stubborn platform too...

...especially if my dislike for a candidate depended on doing so.

No doubt, papa bear don't care.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 7, 2019, 12:00 AM

4. "I can no longer support an amendment that makes that right dependent on someone's ZIP code".

"ZIP code"? WTF? It does sound better than "I can no longer support an amendment that makes that right dependent on someone's financial wealth. Folks, times have changed. Folks, people can no longer be discriminated against because of their poverty like we used to."

Folks, you gotta appreciate a good euphemisim when you hear one but, folks, this one's not so good.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to mobeau69 (Reply #4)

Fri Jun 7, 2019, 12:14 AM

5. Yesterday's unconsciousness, once shed, shouldn't be labeled today's stupidity or character flaw.

You didn't use those words, but he didn't ever think Hyde was intended to keep poor women down; it had that unfortunate effect, just like so many other laws that try to live up to moral standards in one way but hurt humans in another.

All our "intersectionality" politics today wasn't even talked about except in academic circles for decades. Lawmakers reflect the general thinking of their constituents, even if some are way ahead of the consciousness curve. And that makes them all kinda human.

I don't appreciate the shade casting interpretations around here when ANY candidates change their minds.

We can save that better deserved approach for our opponents.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #5)

Fri Jun 7, 2019, 01:12 AM

11. Fair-minded and articulate post. nt

Joe Biden

Reply to this post