HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » As 2020 Candidates Strugg...
Undecided 36%
Elizabeth Warren22%
Joe Biden13%
Bernie Sanders8%
Kamala Harris8%

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 11:42 AM

As 2020 Candidates Struggle to Be Heard, Their Grumbling Gets Louder

New York Times

“It’s a ‘Hunger Games’ situation,” Senator Amy Klobuchar told reporters over the weekend. “I’ll start with that.”

The bloated Democratic primary field is aggrieved, available and aggressively thirsty. Of the 23 candidates running, only eight routinely break 1 percent in national polls. Most have not yet qualified for the fall debates. And cable news channels, which have emerged as an early driving force in the race, have only so many hours of programming each day.

That has moved the campaign into a new, yet familiar, phase: the ritual airing of grievances. Weeks’ worth of pent-up frustration is beginning to trickle into the public arena, as a way for candidates to explain their lowly positions — both to themselves and to the voters.

The rules around participation in the primary debates are a particular sore spot for second- and third-tier candidates, who fear getting shut out of the biggest stage in the race.

If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Pete Buttigieg

3 replies, 359 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply As 2020 Candidates Struggle to Be Heard, Their Grumbling Gets Louder (Original post)
brooklynite Jun 2019 OP
The Velveteen Ocelot Jun 2019 #1
pecosbob Jun 2019 #2
msongs Jun 2019 #3

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 11:50 AM

1. Some of them should have left their hats on their heads

instead of throwing them into the ring. I guess anyone can run for president if they want to, but maybe they should have given more realistic thought to the possibility of actually getting the nomination before hollering "Me, too!" and jumping on the bandwagon. Some of them are evidently in it for increased national exposure, promoting a pet issue, or just ego-tripping, and maybe they shouldn't be grumbling about not getting the attention they'd hoped for.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 11:52 AM

2. Let's hope some have the sense and grace to leave without flinging poo

Undecided

Reply to this post