HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Beto O'Rourke says illega...
Undecided 36%
Elizabeth Warren18%
Joe Biden13%
Kamala Harris10%
Bernie Sanders8%

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 12:54 PM

Beto O'Rourke says illegal border crossings should not be decriminalized

2020 Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke said Sunday that a Bush-era law criminalizing border crossings should remain in place, pointing to the importance of a "legal mechanism" to hold smugglers accountable.

"In the vast majority of cases, there is no need to incarcerate or to detain migrant families and especially children," O'Rourke said on CNN's State of the Union. "But if somebody is attempting to smuggle human beings into the United States, if they are attempting to cross illegal drugs into this country, I want to make sure that we have the legal mechanism necessary to hold them accountable and to detain them to make sure they do not pose a threat to this country or to our communities. ... I do not think it should be repealed."

O'Rourke's position on immigration draws sharp contrast to that of opponent and fellow Texan Julián Castro. Castro, the former Housing and Urban Development Secretary, unveiled an immigration plan in April that would roll back a series of laws implemented under Presidents George W. Bush and Donald Trump.

Castro said he would repeal Section 1325 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, which was used by the George W. Bush administration to apply a criminal violation -- as opposed to a civil infraction -- to anyone entering the United States illegally. The decades-old law was used by the Bush administration to attempt to curb the number of illegal entrances into the United States, something that Castro wrote needs to end.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/2020-beto-orourke-says-illegal-border-crossings-should-not-be-decriminalized/ar-AACXIAS?li=BBnb7Kz
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Jay Inslee

6 replies, 413 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Beto O'Rourke says illegal border crossings should not be decriminalized (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Jun 16 OP
MBS Jun 16 #1
Indygram Jun 16 #4
MBS Jun 16 #5
Indygram Jun 16 #6
Indygram Jun 16 #2
dalton99a Jun 16 #3

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 01:49 PM

1. Beto was very good in this interview. Recommended

Clear, no obfuscation. I can't find a link to a video or transcript of the full interview - so far there are just snippets. will post if I can find it.
Pete Buttigieg

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MBS (Reply #1)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 06:21 PM

4. I found it...as a Beto supporter I find I always need to bring receipts

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/06/16/sotu-orourke-full.cnn
Beto O'Rourke

Reply to this post

Response to Indygram (Reply #4)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 06:29 PM

5. great, thanks. n/t

Pete Buttigieg

Reply to this post

Response to MBS (Reply #5)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 06:44 PM

6. You're welcome

eom
Beto O'Rourke

Reply to this post

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 06:14 PM

2. That is NOT what he said

Jesus H. Christ why do members here keep posting click bait garbage? Of all articles to pick why one with the misleading title?

He said that we should NOT be going after families or people crossing seeking asylum but that we need to have laws in place to deal with human traffickers and drug traffickers.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/06/16/sotu-orourke-full.cnn
Beto O'Rourke

Reply to this post

Response to Indygram (Reply #2)

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 06:20 PM

3. Since Beto came back on the radar, the trend is to twist/exaggerate what he said and paint it

in the worst light possible - and give it a sensationalist/inflammatory/divisive headline

Undecided

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread