HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Booker Vows to Extend Cle...
Undecided 48%
Joe Biden38%
Bernie Sanders14%

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 06:55 PM

Booker Vows to Extend Clemency to Thousands of Nonviolent Drug Offenders

NEWARK, NJ - U.S Sen. Cory Booker has promised to initiate clemency for more than 17,000 nonviolent drug offenders in federal prison on day one of his presidency, should he be elected.

Booker, a former mayor and councilman of Newark, today outlined his Restoring Justice Initiative. It would begin clemency proceedings for people serving federal sentences for marijuana-related offenses, reduce sentences for certain drug offenses and retroactively eliminate disparities between crack and powder cocaine sentences.

“Granting clemency won’t repair all the damage that has been done by the War on Drugs and our broken criminal justice system, but it will help our country confront this injustice and begin to heal,” Booker said in a statement.

State Democratic lawmakers are still grappling with how -- and when -- to expunge records of those with marijuana offenses. Expungement was put on pause once the state Legislature canceled a vote to legalize recreational marijuana.

Read more: https://www.tapinto.net/towns/verona-slash-cedar-grove/articles/booker-vows-to-extend-clemency-to-thousands-of-nonviolent-drug-offenders-7
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Joe Biden

3 replies, 285 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Booker Vows to Extend Clemency to Thousands of Nonviolent Drug Offenders (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jun 2019 OP
bornsunny Jun 2019 #1
BlueWI Jun 2019 #2
Politicub Jun 2019 #3

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 07:41 PM

1. Definitely a great idea!

Awesome.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 08:29 PM

2. Kudos - a call for justice.

A topic worthy of more discussion.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 23, 2019, 08:31 PM

3. It's a great idea. He didn't do himself any favors today with his apology tour, though.

Or maybe he did... I'm sure his political instincts are better than mine. And we're here reading this news.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread