HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » I LOVE my medical insuran...
Joe BidenCongratulations to our presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden!

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 07:44 PM

I LOVE my medical insurance!!!

I really do. My company provides for myself and my husband extremely well when it comes to the medical insurance they provide. With my primary care physician, the one that I really like going to, my office visit copay is $15. Urgent care visit? $25. ER visit $35. Neither of us ever have problems with our prescriptions, and very low copay on those as well.

That said, Iím still 100% behind either single payer enhanced ACA OR MFA, or any version of improvements to our healthcare system that we can put a CONGRESS into place to get for us.

Why? Because as good as mine is, I have family and friends that arenít so lucky. Because it still sickens me that so many donít have access to anything even close. Disgusts me that so many people go into bankruptcy.

Also, I am very aware that as good as mine is, I am only 1 kidney failure, or bad auto accident, or cancer, or heart failure, or liver/GI issue away from NOT having it. One firing or lay-off away. There is no guarantee or right to remain on the plan that i have or the job that I have.

And, even though I still think this is a ridiculous topic to have at all for POTUS candidates because itís a congress issue, I also think it only addresses a sliver of what needs to be addressed. WHEN we do get a congress that can pass improvements, and a POTUS that will sign off on whatever the congress we provided to them does get passed; it needs to be more than just healthcare insurance. It needs to be an infrastructure bill that increases the number of facilities around the country, number of clinics. It needs to be an education bill that helps us get MORE doctors, MORE nurses, MORE administrators, MORE technicians and phlebotomists. It needs to tackle medical research and pharmaceuticals.
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Undecided

18 replies, 1180 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply I LOVE my medical insurance!!! (Original post)
Amimnoch Nov 2019 OP
bluedye33139 Nov 2019 #1
ret5hd Nov 2019 #4
bluedye33139 Nov 2019 #14
bluedye33139 Nov 2019 #15
brewens Nov 2019 #2
emmaverybo Nov 2019 #6
brer cat Nov 2019 #3
JoeOtterbein Nov 2019 #5
Amimnoch Nov 2019 #7
crazytown Nov 2019 #8
JoeOtterbein Nov 2019 #9
crazytown Nov 2019 #10
JoeOtterbein Nov 2019 #11
pat_k Nov 2019 #12
question everything Nov 2019 #13
Humanist_Activist Nov 2019 #16
question everything Nov 2019 #17
Post removed Nov 2019 #18

Response to Amimnoch (Original post)

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 07:50 PM

1. Lots do

At my last job I loved my insurance also. Don't like it when people pretend that this is such a shocking viewpoint. I mean, millions of Americans really have a sense of comfort with their insurance plan, especially after the Affordable Care Act and the essential services, et cetera.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bluedye33139 (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 08:31 PM

4. When you say "my last job" I can deduce several logical possibilities:

You were laid off/fired/quit/retired from your job and either:
a) you don't have insurance now
b) you have insurance now at a new job but it is substandard
c) you are purchasing insurance thru the ACA
d) you are qualified for medicare

"a" "b" and "c" are all arguments for some form (mfa or something else) of national health care

"d" is...well...national health care...for some...but not all.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to ret5hd (Reply #4)

Response to ret5hd (Reply #4)

Sun Nov 3, 2019, 01:13 PM

15. I'm going into private practice

Where I will be making much, much more than I was making in a community mental health clinic. I am purchasing a silver plan.

My previous insurance was unusually good. The clinic had a high-deductible HSA medical and dental insurance, but every month they gave us enough so that at the end of the year, they would have given us the entire deductible ($3000). Therefore, we could always count upon fantastic coverage without paying a single penny out of pocket ever except small copays.

When I compare my current insurance to that, of course it fell short. That was Paradise. Freaking Paradise. Did I mention at the clinic not make us pay for the insurance? If you work in healthcare, good insurance in a clinical setting is the norm.

Thank you for your concern.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 07:53 PM

2. I'd say you might love it more if you were paid what your company puts out for your insurance

that should more than cover a good universal health care plan.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to brewens (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 08:39 PM

6. Honestly, I have saved well over 100 thousand dollars in healthcare expenses my pocketbook would

not have seen. I canít really put a price on it. Just giving me money for premiums would not do it. First because employers negotiate group plans and rates.

I pay no premium in retirement and have 100 percent coverage, no deductible. My benefits pay my Medicare fee too. My state as some others offered workers good benefits. So does the Fed. Once vested, these continue.

However, I too want to see others covered with good plans whether through employment or not. Medicaid, a public option, expanded Obamacare with premiums brought down, shoring up Medicare, regulating private insurance, and covering those left out of the loop should do that.

In any case, you canít turn back the clock for those already retired or refund in wages to those who worked for less for years.

We must face the fact that millions do not want to give up what they earned and allow private plans as do other single payer countries. They give folks options and flexibility in healthcare.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 08:18 PM

3. Excellent post, Amimnoch.

You bring up critical issues that are generally absent from most discussions.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 08:35 PM

5. You are one of the more fortunate insurance customers.

The problem is way too many have unaffordable healthcare, or none at all.

We should not have to live in a nation where children in wheelchairs literally have to go on TV to beg for money to continue their care.

It's way too wrong.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to JoeOtterbein (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 09:13 PM

7. Very true.

Your point is exactly the point I was driving at in the 3rd paragraph.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to JoeOtterbein (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 09:19 PM

8. +1

We should not have to live in a nation where children in wheelchairs literally have to go on TV to beg for money to continue their care.

or choosing between the rent and insulin.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to crazytown (Reply #8)

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 09:31 PM

9. I'm sick of breaking down in tears over the never-ending horror stories. It's heartbreaking.

Then I think of climate change and how everyone will need good healthcare to help us make it through it all.

More tears. Damn it.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to JoeOtterbein (Reply #9)

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 09:43 PM

10. I am sorry

I did not mean to upset you. I raised the insulin example because it is so outrageous, and avoidable. I've been down to my last dime, and I have never forgotten.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to crazytown (Reply #10)

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 09:46 PM

11. No! It's not you. I'm just so sick of our healthcare problem.

Thanks for helping me vent!
Undecided

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 3, 2019, 12:49 AM

13. The point is, or should be: some like their plans, some hate them

Let the ones who are happy keep them. We are, after all, a pro choice party.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to question everything (Reply #13)

Sun Nov 3, 2019, 09:48 PM

16. Who are these people who get to "keep them"...

I had what was better than nothing insurance with my last full time employer, I then accepted a promotion at my other job that lead me to quit the other one(couldn't go down to part time), and I was uninsured for 3 months as a result. Thankfully, I don't have any chronic medical conditions, so I just weathered it out hoping not to get sick. I didn't even get any detailed information on my options with my employer until about 2 weeks ago, and went with the PPO plan(now active as of Nov. 1st). Thankfully its quite a bit better than the coverage I had with my previous employer, but I didn't accept the position for that reason.

Considering that the median time people stay at jobs is about 4.3 years, and most get their insurance through their employer, no one, outside of those who can afford to buy into insurance pools directly, are heavily subsidized on the exchange, or stay at jobs for a lifetime get to keep the insurance they like.

Hell, most don't even have a choice, I was given options between a PPO, an HSA and a FSA plan, that's it, through the same insurance company. Those are all the options my employer offered, and my previous one only offered 2 plans, both of which sucked, but hey at least I upgraded after changing jobs.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Humanist_Activist (Reply #16)

Sun Nov 3, 2019, 11:10 PM

17. Ever heard of COBRA, of bridge insurance? Of individual policy?

We moved several times and were always covered. Either through COBRA or through a bridge insurance. I know that in 1990, or1991, Senator Kennedy passed a law that allowed for eligibility from one job to another. Or something like that.

And often on a new job, one had to wait for six months, or so, before one can join. At some point I got tired of being dependent on an employer - mine or my spouse's - so I got an individual policy and had it until I became eligible for Medicare. And I was very happy with it, a Blue, in two different states. My spouse, too, was happy with the employer provided one so stayed with the same provider as a supplemental to Medicare.

Still, as I said. If you are unhappy, go ahead, join the Medicare for all. But let the rest of us stay with what we like. Millions like theirs.

You "don't have a choice" PPO, etc.? How ironic. Forcing everyone for Warren's expensive pipe dream certainly offers no choice.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to question everything (Reply #17)

Reply to this thread