HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Harris Reintroduces Legis...
Joe BidenCongratulations to our presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden!

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 02:55 PM

Harris Reintroduces Legislation to Provide Relief to Americans Facing Skyrocketing Cost of Rent

WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Senator Kamala D. Harris (D-CA) on Tuesday reintroduced the Rent Relief Act, legislation to provide much-needed support to middle class and working Americans who are struggling to keep up with the rising cost of rent. The legislation creates a new, refundable tax credit for households whose housing costs exceed 30% of their income, including rent and utilities. Unlike existing tax credits, Americans who qualify would receive the benefits every month. Harris was joined by Senators Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and Maggie Hassan (D-NH) in reintroducing the legislation.

“Housing is a human right, and we must act now to end the affordable housing crisis and provide relief to working families who are worried about making each month’s rent,” said Harris. “Right now, nearly half of Americans couldn’t afford an emergency $400 expense – these families need help now. This is about more than just economics—it’s about the basic security and dignity that every American deserves to have in their own home.”

Under the Rent Relief Act, a household’s credit would be determined by their income and the amount spent on housing costs (rent, utilities) in excess of 30% of their gross income.

According to the Columbia Center on Poverty and Social Policy, the Rent Relief Act, which was first introduced in 2018, would reduce the poverty rate by as much as 2.4%, lifting 7.8 million Americans out of poverty, including more than 2 million children. Approximately 21 million Americans spend more than 30% of their earnings on rent, with a disproportionate and rising burden falling on families of color.

East County Today

If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Joe Biden

12 replies, 736 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Harris Reintroduces Legislation to Provide Relief to Americans Facing Skyrocketing Cost of Rent (Original post)
WeekiWater Apr 2019 OP
Iliyah Apr 2019 #1
customerserviceguy Apr 2019 #2
WeekiWater Apr 2019 #3
customerserviceguy Apr 2019 #4
WeekiWater Apr 2019 #5
customerserviceguy Apr 2019 #6
WeekiWater Apr 2019 #7
marylandblue Apr 2019 #11
akraven Apr 2019 #8
Tarheel_Dem Apr 2019 #9
Indygram Apr 2019 #10
BlueFlorida Apr 2019 #12

Response to WeekiWater (Original post)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 02:58 PM

1. California comes to mind.

Also, child care is extremely high.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 03:49 PM

2. I wonder how practical it is

to give a tax credit once a month. Yes, a worker can get an advanced Earned Income Credit, but it's through the payroll department at work. That employer already has a mechanism in place to cut checks at frequent intervals.

How much of the expenditure of this program is going to wind up as administrative costs of setting up a system to identify eligible beneficiaries, make monthly payments, track those payments, and prevent fraud?

Perhaps the better thing to do is find some way to give the landlord the tax break, if they pass it on in the form of reduced rent. We had Targeted Jobs Tax Credits that made it desirable for an employer to hire a person who suffered from long-term unemployment, and that seemed to work pretty well.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to customerserviceguy (Reply #2)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 03:55 PM

3. I'm not dismissing looking at other ways to do it.

But this is not possible.

"Perhaps the better thing to do is find some way to give the landlord the tax break, if they pass it on in the form of reduced rent."

As a landlord I can tell you I would be the one to benefit. Additionally, the costs and time you mention above would still be there. Some less than others.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to WeekiWater (Reply #3)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 03:58 PM

4. I just think it would be an easy political target

if someday an audit of the agency administering the program showed that more money was spent on administration of the program than the amount of actual benefits real people would derive from it. Also, I have no doubt that the program would be a ripe target for fraudsters. The Earned Income Tax Credit already is one.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to customerserviceguy (Reply #4)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 04:03 PM

5. Most all programs are ripe targets for fraud.

As are consumers of the banking industry, government contractors, and others. Fraud is to be investigated. I'm not sure how you are getting to the thought that more would be spent on administrative costs.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to WeekiWater (Reply #5)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 04:11 PM

6. The amounts paid would be somewhat small

They would probably be less than welfare payments, and less than most other types of government benefits, so the. costs of administering them might well be proportionally higher. Plus, there would be the costs of setting up a whole new department or agency to administer the whole thing. Food stamps and government transfer payments, like Social Security already have an infrastructure in place to administer monthly benefits.

Having to verify incomes that could change monthly (overtime, holiday pay, adding/cutting shifts for hospitality workers, etc.) as well as the truthful figures for rent being charged, verifying household sizes, that could all put a greater burden on an agency than most other benefit programs.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to customerserviceguy (Reply #6)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 04:16 PM

7. Yes, there will be administrative costs.

I still don't see where you are coming up with this as a problem. I also know most of what you are stating is already being done by the feds, states, and counties. Many cities as well.

"The amounts paid would be somewhat small"

I don't think the amount overall would be small.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to customerserviceguy (Reply #2)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 11:57 PM

11. I don't think this would be all that difficult

Government makes all sorts of monthly payments, you know, Social Security, Food Stamps etc. Administrative costs aren't very high.

Fraud's a different matter, but there are ways to deal with that. And I'm tired of fraud always being about the guy who steals a few pennies while the guy who steals billions is a called a successful businessman.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 07:07 PM

8. We don't even have running water - can't afford the extra $200 per month for it.

I'd so welcome this.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 11:03 PM

9. K&R

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 11:06 PM

10. I would like something like that a lot

since my rent and utilities take up about half of my gross income.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 10, 2019, 12:01 AM

12. I like the way Kamala thinks and acts nt

Joe Biden

Reply to this post