HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Beto O'Rourke releases 10...
Undecided 44%
Elizabeth Warren22%
Joe Biden14%
Bernie Sanders8%
Pete Buttigieg6%

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 12:23 AM

Beto O'Rourke releases 10 years of tax returns

ormer congressman Beto O’Rourke released 10 years’ worth of tax returns Monday night, becoming the latest 2020 presidential contender to reveal information about his personal finances.

The Democratic candidate’s disclosure came shortly after Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who is also running for president, released his tax returns dating back to 2009.

The returns show that O’Rourke and his wife, Amy, made more than $370,000 in 2017, the most recent year for which they released returns. That amount includes O’Rourke’s $162,211 salary as a member of Congress representing Texas and more than $11,000 from Stanton Street Technology, an El Paso-based Internet company O’Rourke co-founded in 1999.

It also includes about $53,000 in income from the Council on Regional Economic Expansion and Educational Development, or CREEED. Amy O’Rourke has worked as a consultant for the philanthropic organization, which aims to improve the academic performance of students in the El Paso area.

Earlier in the day, O’Rourke told reporters that he would release his tax returns in an effort to be transparent with voters — and he criticized President Trump for not doing the same.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/beto-orourke-releases-10-years-of-tax-returns/2019/04/15/02775ee6-5fd3-11e9-bfad-36a7eb36cb60_story.html?utm_term=.07f6fe95cdbd
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Joe Biden

11 replies, 505 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to RandySF (Original post)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 12:52 AM

1. At least it didn't take 3 years to get them from Beto n/t

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 01:11 AM

2. That "Philanthropic organization" CREEED is a charter school "charity"

Beto has been very pro charter school so it makes sense

Hunt foundation donates $12 million to CREEED to boost charter schools, teacher education

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/local/2017/09/26/hunt-family-foundation-donates-millions-creeed-boost-charter-schools/701065001/

Norma De La Rosa, president of the El Paso Teachers Association, said the donation is a slap in the face to public schools and teachers.

"It’s very disheartening that we have a group of prominent businessmen in El Paso who feel it’s more important to provide that amount of money to bring in charter schools rather than providing it to the public schools to help better improve the resources and what we provide to all of our children in El Paso," De La Rosa said.

De La Rosa added that charter schools don't work as closely with special needs and limited English-speaking students.

"Public school is here to provide that education, that support, and prepare our students for the future," De La Rosa said. "Charter schools do not have the interest of all students at heart."

https://npeaction.org/beto-orourke/

The Network for Public Education Action was founded in 2013 by Diane Ravitch and Anthony Cody.
We are an advocacy group whose whose mission is to fight to preserve, promote, improve and strengthen our public school system, an essential institution in a democratic society.

Beto O’Rourke was the U.S. Representative from Texas’ 16th Congressional District. He is against high-stakes standardized testing and vouchers. Recently he has declined to comment on charter schools, but historically he has made pro-charter statements. His wife led a charter school for 5 years, and is currently on the board of a non-profit organization working to bring more charter schools to El Paso.

CNN reports that in a primary debate during his campaign for Congress O’Rourke stated, “I think charter schools are a good idea. They encourage competition. They encourage innovation in the classroom, and they’re a laboratory for some of the best ideas and concepts in public education today.”

In comments about the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) O’Rourke wrote that he voted for the legislation because it created “high-quality choices for parents by improving and investing in new charter school models.”

When O’Rourke voted against the federal voucher program in Washington D.C., he stated that the money should be invested in “proven educational models such as charter schools.”

O’Rourke’s presidential campaign “did not return multiple requests for clarification on the candidate’s position on charter schools” from a reporter with The Intercept.
Bernie Sanders

Reply to this post

Response to Hassin Bin Sober (Reply #2)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 01:30 AM

4. It's very disappointing to hear that Beto donated millions to a charter school "charity"

I support candidates who want to fully and equitably fund all public schools for all kids. There is no progressive case for charter schools. Charter schools siphon funds and resources, destabilizing neighborhood public schools and increasing segregation.

This is my litmus test. No on Beto, no on Cory Booker.
Amy Klobuchar

Reply to this post

Response to DesertRat (Reply #4)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 02:38 AM

8. I think it depends on how charter schools are done. In my state of Washington

charters get no extra money, beyond normal per student funding, and they are required to take all students on an equal basis (they can't exclude categories of students). So they don't siphon funds and resources. They just give the districts more options.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to DesertRat (Reply #4)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 04:24 AM

9. I heard him talk about charter schools a couple of days ago

He supports PUBLIC charter schools. Not all charter schools are created equal. I live in Florida and charter and magnet schools play a very important role. In my town there are TEN public elementary schools. The smallest of those schools has just under 1500 students in grades K-5. There are 3 or 4 private Christian schools. There are also 3 charter schools with another one being built soon. Most of the charter/magnet schools are geared towards special types of study, like performing arts, STEM, conservation, medical studies, international studies. None of them are religion based. They are open to all students and any student wishing to attend one of those schools need just apply and a lottery system is used to make it fair to all. Without these charter and magnet schools there would be even worse overcrowding than there is now. This area continues to grow and there are not enough public schools to educate them all. So for some areas, charter schools make sense. If done correctly they are a very beneficial part of the public school system. It does not have to be an either/or situation. There is no reason they cannot BOTH be supported. This is a perfect example of how people from some regions of the United States do not respect that different areas have different needs. People can fully support public education while also being in favor of charter schools.

And I'm pretty sure the charity you are talking about is the charity for asylum seekers as that is the main one he gave to. He mentions that program sometimes in his stump speeches.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Hassin Bin Sober (Reply #2)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 04:34 AM

10. Here is what the charity actually does...

https://www.creeed.org/creeed-foundation.html

"The CREEED Foundation is a 501c3 organization, and the grantmaking arm of CREEED, which was created to support initiatives that focus on large scale change in creating more high-performing seats in El Paso county’s public education system.

In coordination with CREEED, the CREEED Foundation leads efforts to identify and support initiatives that improve college readiness and ensure more students graduate with a college degree or certificate in a timely manner. With a focus on increasing student attainment, talent development, and parental and community engagement, CREEED partners with education leaders; funders; and regional, state, and national organizations to shape the future of education in El Paso. "

Good grief, that sounds utterly horrific...to improve the public education system and help ensure students are ready for college. Blasphemy....
Undecided

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 01:28 AM

3. Did O'Rourke release all return schedules? tia

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #3)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 01:33 AM

5. Oops. Apparently he underpaid two years.

After becoming aware of this error, the accounting firm that prepared the filings was immediately informed and will file an amendment as appropriate,” an aide to Mr. O’Rourke said.
Bernie Sanders

Reply to this post

Response to Hassin Bin Sober (Reply #5)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 01:38 AM

6. I care about the disclosure not the mistakes, everyone is going to make mistakes but waiting this

... long to disclose taxes and then not disclose the schedules sounds like someone is hiding something.

I'm still wanting to know if Sanders released all years he said he'd release along with all schedules.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Hassin Bin Sober (Reply #5)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 01:39 AM

7. I've gone through that

It's no fun.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #3)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 05:14 AM

11. Yes, including all supporting schedules...

...so that you could see what charities he donated to, etc.
Elizabeth Warren

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread