HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » How Pete Buttigieg is alr...
Undecided 44%
Elizabeth Warren22%
Joe Biden14%
Bernie Sanders8%
Pete Buttigieg6%

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 10:54 AM

How Pete Buttigieg is already changing the conversation about being gay in America

If you could have offered me a pill that could make me straight, I would have swallowed it before you could give me a swig of water," Buttigieg said. "It's a hard thing to think about now. If you had shown me exactly what it was that made me gay, I would have cut it out with a knife. ... Thank God there was no pill. Thank God there was no knife."

The humanity there jumps out at you. This is a hugely accomplished person -- Rhodes scholar, military veteran, elected mayor of his hometown at 29 years old -- who wished for years that he could be something other than what he knew he was. Someone who "needed to not be" gay. Someone who, at one point in his life, would have gladly taken a pill to make him not gay -- or even cut out his "gayness" if he could.

That's stunning stuff. And while Buttigieg's struggle may be familiar to many gay people, it likely will be the first time many straight people have heard someone's coming-out story presented in such raw and personal terms.

There's also a universality in the internal struggle Buttigieg is describing. You don't have to be gay to understand what it's like to deny parts of yourself, to wish you were something different than you are. To pray for an easy way to dissolve all of your internal turmoil. To be wiling to do almost anything to get it to go away. The terms in which Buttigieg is talking about grappling with his homosexuality also describe, for many of us, the human condition: A lifelong struggle to accept who we are, with all the positives and negatives that come with it.

More: https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/politics/pete-buttigieg-gay-rachel-maddow/index.html
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Pete Buttigieg

6 replies, 1256 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Pete Buttigieg is already changing the conversation about being gay in America (Original post)
mobeau69 Apr 2019 OP
ChiTownDenny Apr 2019 #1
Gamecock Lefty Apr 2019 #2
NurseJackie Apr 2019 #3
trickyguy Apr 2019 #4
calimary Apr 2019 #5
patricia92243 Apr 2019 #6

Response to mobeau69 (Original post)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 11:40 AM

1. Thanks for posting this!

I've had the same conversation; it's easier to live in this world not gay. But it is what it is; you're gay or you're not. The challenge for us is living in the world, accepting who we innately are, and navigating through society. That's why it's so important that there are positive role models, such as Buttigieg, and that the stigma is eliminated. The alternative has deadly consequences.
Pete Buttigieg

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 12:23 PM

2. Really Like This Guy!

Mayor Pete’s story on Rachel last night was just wonderful. Those of us that are gay know full well it is on our own timeline - there is no age appropriate time for coming out; it is who we are that determines when, and yes, sometimes our circumstances. Mayor Pete poured himself into the military and his mayorship until he was comfortable coming out. Good for him!!!

I really do like that guy! We have GREAT candidates for 2020!
Undecided

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 12:37 PM

3. That's nice, isn't it?

Bernie Sanders

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 12:37 PM

4. Let me add my thanks for seeing the larger human condition in being a gay person.

I am an openly gay man and have been for most of my life - maybe 60 years now.
And have been a gay activist for over 50 years of that.
Never thought I'd see not only Pete as a Presidential candidate but also my hometown
of Chicago just elected an openly gay, black woman as mayor and the city I live near
Madison, WI has an openly gay female mayor now.
This is an amazing arch of justice and understanding. Glad to share it at DU.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 12:51 PM

5. "A swig of water"! I wonder if that's a "Midwestern-ism"?

My mom and dad used that word a lot when I was a kid and we still lived in the Midwest before moving out to California. I don’t remember hearing it used as much (if at all, frankly) once we’d moved west.

“Want a swig?” - usually of juice or soda or lemonade something you might be drinking while hanging out with a friend when you thought they might like a taste. A kid memory of mine. Never applied to alcoholic beverages or beer - we weren’t old enough to be sampling that kind of drink yet.

Anybody know?

Just curious.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to calimary (Reply #5)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 01:07 PM

6. I thought he said sip of water.