HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Sanders gets tough recept...
Undecided 44%
Elizabeth Warren22%
Joe Biden14%
Bernie Sanders8%
Pete Buttigieg6%

Thu Apr 25, 2019, 09:23 AM

Sanders gets tough reception at minority women's event, signaling challenges ahead

HOUSTON — The groans erupted halfway through Bernie Sanders’s appearance Wednesday at a presidential candidates’ forum sponsored by She the People, a group that aims to drive up voter participation among women of color.

Before an audience of about 1,700, many of them African American and Hispanic women, the moderator asked Sanders (I-Vt.) how he would handle the rise in white supremacy. Sanders spoke of fighting discrimination and running a campaign “to bring our people together around an agenda that speaks to all people” — then returned to a familiar message on universal health care.

For many in the audience, that was insufficient. “Come on!” a woman shouted from the back, as others began to jeer and boo.

The reception reflected Sanders’s struggle to win support from minority voters, a problem that dogged his 2016 primary campaign against Hillary Clinton. Sanders has taken steps since to improve his outreach, including meeting with black leaders and talking more frequently about the difficulties facing minorities, but Wednesday’s event suggested the senator still faces challenges.

Washington Post
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Joe Biden

5 replies, 344 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sanders gets tough reception at minority women's event, signaling challenges ahead (Original post)
WeekiWater Apr 2019 OP
PatrickforO Apr 2019 #1
Demsrule86 Apr 2019 #5
comradebillyboy Apr 2019 #2
donkeypoofed Apr 2019 #3
WhiskeyGrinder Apr 2019 #4

Response to WeekiWater (Original post)

Thu Apr 25, 2019, 09:30 AM

1. Bernie has to figure this out or he won't get far.

Everybody wants healthcare, but people of color want to not be shot to death in police stops.
Elizabeth Warren

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PatrickforO (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 25, 2019, 10:01 AM

5. Women also want to be in charge of their bodies...something that Sanders doesn't

seem to care about.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 25, 2019, 09:44 AM

2. Bernie doesn't seem to be able to do anything but recite the

same old class struggle talking points. And remind people that he, like Mitch McConnell, was in the audience for MLK's speech at the March on Washington event.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 25, 2019, 09:56 AM

3. I hope he drops out, I hope he drops out, please drop out.....

I worry about his divisiveness at a time when the opposite is needed. He doesn't see it. I sure do. I think he loves his country but doesn't realize what he'll end up doing to it. He wont win (again) and will be very bitter (again), along with his supporters.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 25, 2019, 09:58 AM

4. The fact that he still hasn't gotten this right says a lot about who he is as a person and how he

might lead, IMO.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread