HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Democrats 2020 » Warren 2020 (Group) » Biden allies are worried ...
Elizabeth Warren You are in the Warren 2020 Group. Only members who have selected Elizabeth Warren as their preferred Democratic presidential candidate are permitted to post in this Group.

Fri Nov 8, 2019, 04:16 PM

Biden allies are worried a Bloomberg candidacy could clinch the nomination for Warren

Joe Biden allies are worried that a Mike Bloomberg candidacy could clinch the nomination for Elizabeth Warren

Joe Biden’s allies are becoming increasingly concerned that a Mike Bloomberg candidacy could take votes away from the former vice president and help Sen. Elizabeth Warren win the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Bloomberg’s political aides confirmed that he’s again considering entering the 2020 race, after he decided against it in March. Top Bloomberg advisor Howard Wolfson said Thursday that the billionaire former New York mayor is “increasingly concerned that the current field of candidates is not well-positioned” to defeat President Donald Trump next year.

Biden told reporters on Friday that he welcomes Bloomberg, a fellow moderate, into the race. Yet several of his supporters see the former mayor’s move as potentially giving an edge to Warren, a liberal populist.

This hurts Biden tremendously,” said one of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s outside advisors. Cuomo has encouraged his vast donor network to back the former vice president. “Even if he doesn’t get it,” this person added, “the whole thing plays that Biden is weak. It cements in people’s minds that Biden can’t make it work.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/08/biden-allies-worry-that-bloomberg-could-give-warren-the-nomination.html

10 replies, 720 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Biden allies are worried a Bloomberg candidacy could clinch the nomination for Warren (Original post)
crazytown Nov 8 OP
jcgoldie Nov 8 #1
Name removed Nov 8 #2
crazytown Nov 8 #3
Name removed Nov 8 #4
BlueMTexpat Nov 9 #5
crazytown Nov 9 #6
BlueMTexpat Nov 9 #7
crazytown Nov 9 #8
BlueMTexpat Nov 9 #9
crazytown Nov 9 #10

Response to crazytown (Original post)

Fri Nov 8, 2019, 04:19 PM

1. I don't know how much it hurts Joe...

... but it sure isn't going to take many supporters from our candidate!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Name removed (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 8, 2019, 04:24 PM

3. Bloomberg said he will spend $100 million

'a campaign the likes of which we have not seen before'

Reply to this post

Response to crazytown (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 9, 2019, 05:44 AM

5. Per this article as well,

it appears that Joe and Pete have the most to lose from a Bloomberg candidacy.

Elizabeth Warren Couldn’t Be Luckier https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/11/bloomberg-campaign-would-only-boost-elizabeth-warren/601660/

While I am not sure about that happening, I certainly concur that Bloomberg will take very few, if any, votes from Warren.

Anyway, we shall see.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueMTexpat (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 9, 2019, 06:11 AM

6. Yes I posted it here.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1297491

If there one argument Elizabeth Warren is ready for, it's about billionaires trying to buy the government.

See also https://www.democraticunderground.com/1287340913

Reply to this post

Response to crazytown (Reply #6)

Sat Nov 9, 2019, 11:47 AM

7. Sorry for reposting that link

in your own thread!

But thanks also for posting the other link which I have Rec'd!

Reply to this post

Response to BlueMTexpat (Reply #7)

Sat Nov 9, 2019, 12:05 PM

8. The presence of a billionaire representing Wall Street

will, no doubt, boost turnout and Warren will benefit (a lot)

Reply to this post

Response to crazytown (Reply #8)

Sat Nov 9, 2019, 12:13 PM

9. That is what we all hope!

Reply to this post

Response to BlueMTexpat (Reply #9)

Sat Nov 9, 2019, 12:33 PM

10. The way I see it is this -

Warren is under fire for M4A, The presence of a billionaire changes the narrative - The problem with M4A is not Medicare, its Billionaires that don't want to pay a wealth tax. The average family will save $8K-12K a year. Billionaires will be contributing $3.5b etc.

The problem with 'Medicare For All who want it is that families will still be stuck with paying big bucks for insurance - whether it is private or the public option.

When asked if the figures add up - reply - I will not sign a bill that increases middle class taxes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread