JustAnotherGen suggested I repost this here. I don't have much hope that anything will be done to improve the jury system, but some of us who serve on juries are aware of the arbitrary and sometimes mean spirit intent of alerters. There should be some accountability.
If the alerter is not being vindictive the only reason I can see for the alert is a misunderstanding. I confess that I alerted on a post and that was the case. I realized it as soon as I submitted and wished I could take it back. Fortunately the jury was intelligent in their deliberations and did not vote to hide. If I was on a jury to keep or lose the jury system I would vote to vote to lose it. The problem is what would replace it.
Suggestions I think would improve the system:
1. When a post is alerted the poster is sent a message which allows them to edit or self delete the post.
2. A reasonable time limit on alerting a post, say 2 hours max, after that the alert is null.
3. A verdict to hide can be appealed.
4. Member's profiles should show an alert history for all to see.
5. Alerts should not be anonymous.
6. A daily, weekly and monthly limit on alerts. Say, once per day, two per week and 3 per month.