HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Eugene » Journal
Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next »

Eugene

Profile Information

Gender: Male
Hometown: Boston, MA
Member since: Wed May 12, 2004, 04:41 PM
Number of posts: 46,832

Journal Archives

Recently freed Honduran transgender woman detained again by Ice

Source: The Guardian

Recently freed Honduran transgender woman detained again by Ice

Nicole Garcia Aguilar fled Honduras after being subjected to sexual assault and attempted murder linked to her gender identity

Nina Lakhani
Fri 26 Apr 2019 09.00 BST Last modified on Fri 26 Apr 2019 09.02 BST

A Honduran transgender asylum seeker who was released last week after a year incarcerated in immigration centres has been re-detained by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Ice).

The move was condemned by her legal team as punitive and damaging to the young woman’s physical and mental health.

Nicole Garcia Aguilar, 24, fled southern Honduras after being subjected to death threats, sexual assault and attempted murder linked to her gender identity. She sought help from the police in Honduras, but was told by one officer that the violence against her was “because of the way [she is]” and would not stop until she was dead.

-snip-

Before being released, Garcia was transferred to an Ice custody in El Paso, Texas, where she had a pending criminal charge. The charge was dismissed and Garcia finally released from Ice detention on 17 April but given no release paperwork – a document that is essential in order to travel freely and avoid detention at immigration checkpoints.

On 24 April, Garcia, accompanied by advocates from the Detained Migrants Solidarity Committee, went to the Ice office in El Paso to obtain her release paperwork where she was taken into custody.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/26/transgender-asylum-seeker-nicole-garcia-aguilar-detained

Canada watchdog to seek court order to force Facebook to follow privacy laws

Source: Reuters

BUSINESS NEWS APRIL 25, 2019 / 10:26 AM / UPDATED 6 HOURS AGO

Canada watchdog to seek court order to force Facebook to follow privacy laws

Steve Scherer, David Ljunggren
3 MIN READ

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Facebook Inc broke Canadian privacy laws when it collected the information of some 600,000 citizens, a top watchdog said on Thursday, pledging to seek a court order to force the social media giant to change its practices.

Privacy Commissioner Daniel Therrien made his comments while releasing the results of an investigation, opened a year ago, into a data sharing scandal involving Facebook and the now-defunct British political consulting firm Cambridge Analytica.

Though Facebook has acknowledged a “major breach of trust”, the company disputed the results of the probe, Therrien said.

“Facebook’s refusal to act responsibly is deeply troubling given the vast amount of sensitive personal information users have entrusted to this company,” said Therrien.

He said the company refused to voluntarily submit to audits of its privacy policies and practices over the next five years.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-facebook/canada-watchdog-to-seek-court-order-to-force-facebook-to-follow-privacy-laws-idUSKCN1S11VZ

Nearly 170m under-10s unvaccinated against measles worldwide

Source: The Guardian

Nearly 170m under-10s unvaccinated against measles worldwide

Figure includes half a million in UK, as Unicef warns the disease could ‘spread like wildfire’

Sarah Boseley Health editor
Thu 25 Apr 2019 00.01 BST Last modified on Thu 25 Apr 2019 00.45 BST

Nearly 170 million children in the world under the age of 10, including half a million in the UK and 2.5 million in the US, are unprotected from measles in the face of growing outbreaks of the disease, Unicef is warning.

More than 21 million children a year are not vaccinated against one of the most infectious organisms in existence, says the UN body. Between 2010 and 2017, an estimated 169 million children missed the first of the recommended two-dose regime.

“The ground for the global measles outbreaks we are witnessing today was laid years ago,” said Henrietta Fore, Unicef executive director. “The measles virus will always find unvaccinated children. If we are serious about averting the spread of this dangerous but preventable disease, we need to vaccinate every child, in rich and poor countries alike.”

Simon Stevens, the chief executive of NHS England, warned the situation was serious. “Getting yourself and your children vaccinated against killer diseases is essential to staying healthy, and vaccine rejection is a serious and growing public health timebomb,” he said.

He called for Facebook and Twitter to take action against the posting of anti-vaccine propaganda and conspiracy theories. ...

-snip-

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/25/nearly-170m-under-10s-unvaccinated-against-measles-worldwide

From Sudan's protesters, a warning to Saudi Arabia and the UAE: Don't meddle

Source: Washington Post

From Sudan’s protesters, a warning to Saudi Arabia and the UAE: Don’t meddle

By Max Bearak and Kareem Fahim April 24 at 3:30 PM

KHARTOUM, Sudan — Amid the chants praising the “revolution of the people,” a new slogan appeared this week at a massive sit-in protest in Sudan’s capital: “We do not want Saudi aid even if we have to eat beans and falafel!”

The chant underscored the suspicion in the protest camp about the motives of Saudi Arabia and its close ally, the United Arab Emirates, after they jointly pledged $3 billion in aid to Sudan’s transitional military government, which deposed Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir this month after 30 years in power.

The protests, which have spread across the country to become the biggest in a generation, have continued to swell after his ouster, putting pressure on the military to swiftly transfer power to a civilian council until elections can be held.

But many within the protests fear that the powerful monarchies in Saudi Arabia and the UAE are using their immense wealth to suppress democracy and support a “counterrevolution,” as they have been accused of doing elsewhere in the region.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/for-sudans-protesters-another-threat-looms-meddling-by-saudi-arabia-and-the-uae/2019/04/24/b2986416-667f-11e9-a1b6-b29b90efa879_story.html

Videos appear to show armed militia detaining migrants at US-Mexico border

Source: The Guardian

Videos appear to show armed militia detaining migrants at US-Mexico border

The American Civil Liberties Union is calling the actions a ‘kidnapping’ and a flagrant violation of the law

Sam Levin in San Francisco
Fri 19 Apr 2019 00.14 BST Last modified on Fri 19 Apr 2019 01.03 BST

Armed rightwing militia members detained a large group of migrants at the US-Mexico border and coordinated with US border patrol agents to have them arrested, according to the American Civil Liberties Union, in a series of actions the civil liberties organization called a “kidnapping” and a flagrant violation of the law.

Several videos taken at the border in New Mexico this week appeared to show men belonging to a group that calls itself the United Constitutional Patriots approaching migrant families and children, ordering them to sit down, calling federal agents on them, and at one point potentially misrepresenting themselves by saying “border patrol” as they approached.

“The Trump administration’s vile racism has emboldened white nationalists and fascists to flagrantly violate the law,” the ACLU of New Mexico said in a letter to the state’s governor and attorney general, urging them to “immediately investigate this atrocious and unlawful conduct”.

The ACLU described the group as “an armed fascist militia organization” made up of “vigilantes” working to “kidnap and detain people seeking asylum” and accused the group of directly making illegal arrests.

The group has repeatedly appeared in local news stories in recent weeks, expressing support for Donald Trump’s proposed border wall and presenting themselves as “volunteers” aiding border patrol efforts.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/18/new-mexico-migrants-armed-militia-detained

Dispute flares among U.S. officials over Trump administration Iran arms control report

Source: Reuters

WORLD NEWS APRIL 17, 2019 / 8:00 PM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO

Exclusive: Dispute flares among U.S. officials over Trump administration Iran arms control report

Jonathan Landay, Arshad Mohammed
7 MIN READ

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A new Trump administration report on international compliance with arms control accords provoked a dispute with U.S. intelligence agencies and some State Department officials concerned that the document politicizes and slants assessments about Iran, five sources with knowledge of the matter said.

U.S. President Donald Trump is intensifying a drive to contain Iran’s power in the Middle East, which has raised fears that his administration wants to topple the Tehran government or lay the groundwork to justify military action.

The administration says it is trying to halt Iranian “malign behavior” in its support for Islamist militants in the region and denies seeking the overthrow of the Islamic republic’s government.

The clash among U.S. officials emerged on Tuesday when the State Department posted on its website, and then removed, an unclassified version of an annual report to Congress assessing compliance with arms control agreements that the sources saw as skewed Iran.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-arms-armscontrol-exclusive/exclusive-dispute-flares-among-u-s-officials-over-trump-administration-iran-arms-control-report-idUSKCN1RT2R2

Hong Kong pro-democracy 'Occupy' activists defiant after guilty verdicts

Source: Reuters

WORLD NEWS APRIL 8, 2019 / 9:27 PM / UPDATED 16 MINUTES AGO

Hong Kong pro-democracy 'Occupy' activists defiant after guilty verdicts

James Pomfret, Jessie Pang
5 MIN READ

HONG KONG (Reuters) - A Hong Kong court on Tuesday found nine leaders of the 2014 pro-democracy “Occupy” movement guilty of public nuisance during the mass protests, in a landmark verdict as freedoms in the city ruled by mainland China come under strain.

Scores of supporters applauded the defendants, who included a law professor, two legislators and former student activists, after a trial that critics said highlighted the decline of political freedoms in the former British colony.

Law professor Benny Tai, 54, retired sociologist Chan Kin-man, 60, and retired pastor Chu Yiu-ming, 75 were found guilty of conspiracy to commit public nuisance over their leading role in planning and mobilizing supporters during the 79-day protest.

The trio had pleaded not guilty to all charges, which carry a maximum jail term of seven years each. The judge did not immediately hand down sentences, and the defendants have not said if they planned to appeal.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-politics/hong-kong-pro-democracy-occupy-activists-defiant-after-guilty-verdicts-idUSKCN1RL04V

______________________________________________________________________

Source: BBC

Hong Kong 'Umbrella' protesters found guilty of public nuisance

9 April 2019

Nine pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong have been found guilty of public nuisance charges for their role in a civil disobedience movement that called for free elections in the city.

Among them are three prominent activists, seen as figureheads of Hong Kong's pro-democracy movement.

They could be jailed for up to seven years for their part in the "Umbrella Movement" protests of 2014.

Thousands marched demanding the right for Hong Kong to choose its own leader.

Those convicted include the so-called "Occupy trio" - sociology professor Chan Kin-man, 60, law professor Benny Tai, 54, and Baptist minister Chu Yiu-ming, 75.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47863061

Suspected rhino poacher killed by elephant, eaten by lions in South Africa: authorities

Source: Global News

Suspected rhino poacher killed by elephant, eaten by lions in South Africa: authorities

By Rahul Kalvapalle
National Online Journalist Global News

South African authorities say they have recovered the remains of a suspected rhinoceros poacher who was believed to have been killed by an elephant before his body was devoured by lions.

The victim’s family say they were informed of his death by fellow members of a poaching gang that entered Kruger National Park in northeastern South Africa on Tuesday, South African National Parks said in a release.

South African authorities say they have recovered the remains of a suspected rhinoceros poacher who was believed to have been killed by an elephant before his body was devoured by lions.

The victim’s family say they were informed of his death by fellow members of a poaching gang that entered Kruger National Park in northeastern South Africa on Tuesday, South African National Parks said in a release.

-snip-

Read more: https://globalnews.ca/news/5137424/rhino-poacher-killed-by-elephant-kruger/

______________________________________________________________________

Related: Media Release: Kruger National Park rangers help family closure by recovering remains of a suspected poacher killed by an Elephant (South African National Parks)

Trump is spouting nonsense at a greater rate

Source: CNN

Trump is spouting nonsense at a greater rate

By Michael D'Antonio
Updated 1906 GMT (0306 HKT) April 5, 2019

(CNN) — It's not just that President Donald Trump has been spouting nonsense at a greater rate, although he is. What's new is that his false statements are becoming more bizarre. He said this week, for example, that his Bronx-native father was born in Germany. And they are accompanied by other displays of apparent cognitive distress. Among the glaring examples:

•Last month, the President of the United States looked at Apple executive Tim Cook, one of the most important business leaders in the world, and called him Tim Apple.
•A few days earlier at a conservative conference where he literally hugged a flag, Trump ditched his script and rambled for two mostly incoherent hours. He mixed mockery, profanity and grandiosity in a style more suited to a barstool than a podium decorated with the presidential seal.
•In an Oval Office encounter with reporters this week, he repeatedly used the word "oranges" instead of "origins" to demand an investigation into the beginnings of the independent counsel's probe of Russian influence in the 2016 election.
•Bizarrely, he told a GOP fundraiser audience that "they say" the sound created by energy-producing windmills "causes cancer."

In any family, a 72-year-old man who spoke this way would be the subject of urgent discussions. Trump's trouble accessing words, summoning long-term memories, and naming a famous man in front of him could indicate mental deterioration. Add the crazy talk about windmills and cancer, coming from the leader of the free world, and you get a situation that ought to alarm everyone.

This situation is complicated by Trump's long and deep record of lying to suit his purpose. For decades, he made excessive claims about his wealth and abilities and the ratings for his reality TV show. Fantastic claims became his self-serving stock in trade. As a politician, Trump transferred this deceptive method into the political landscape -- call it his lie-scape -- and picked up the pace of the falsehoods.

-snip-

Read more: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/05/opinions/trump-is-spouting-nonsense-at-a-greater-rate-dantonio/index.html

Ben Carson questioned on HUD's lack of LGBTQ nondiscrimination guidance

Source: NBC News

Ben Carson questioned on HUD's lack of LGBTQ nondiscrimination guidance

“We are all now more stupid than we were when we came in the room today,” Rep. Mike Quigley, D-Ill., said after a heated exchange with the HUD secretary.

April 4, 2019, 12:09 PM EDT
By Eileen Street

WASHINGTON — Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson said in a hearing Wednesday that a Democratic congressman “might not like” and “probably wouldn’t agree with” the department’s LGBTQ nondiscrimination guidance, if the agency were to provide it.

During the House Appropriations Subcommittee hearing, Rep. Mike Quigley, D-Ill., said he was “very disappointed” with HUD's decision not to replace the LGBTQ nondiscrimination guidance that the department removed from its website soon after Carson was appointed by President Donald Trump over two years ago. The guidance, provided in 2009 by the Obama administration, was intended to help HUD housing providers and shelters interpret the agency’s rules so as not to discriminate against LGBTQ service recipients.

“So, how will these grantees comply with the regs without this guidance, sir?” Quigley asked Carson.

Carson responded that the guidance “was pretty much obliterated” by rules HUD issued in 2012 and 2016. The secretary added that HUD “concluded that putting that sub-regulatory guidance" regarding anti-LGBTQ discrimination "actually confused the issue." He said his agency — which is responsible for national policy and programs that address America’s housing needs and enforces fair housing laws — was trying to “simplify things” and said the rules still stand and have not been changed.

Quigley, who serves as vice chair of the Congressional LGBT Equality Caucus, pressed on, saying “HUD grantees need guidance to avoid the discrimination and to make clear to them what the rules are.” Quigley also stated that HUD missed a deadline “by almost six months” to review the guidance in question that the agency took down in 2017. Carson responded by saying the agreement had been that the guidelines would be reviewed, not that they would be put back up on HUD's website.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/ben-carson-questioned-hud-s-lack-lgbtq-nondiscrimination-guidance-n990821
Go to Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next »