HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Eugene » Journal
Page: 1 2 Next »

Eugene

Profile Information

Gender: Male
Hometown: Boston, MA
Member since: Wed May 12, 2004, 04:41 PM
Number of posts: 47,378

Journal Archives

'I'm F*cked!': Amber Guyger's Frantic 911 Call Leaks Ahead Of Her Murder Trial

Source: NewsOne

‘I’m F*cked!’: Amber Guyger’s Frantic 911 Call Leaks Ahead Of Her Murder Trial

The fired police officer can be heard panicking after shooting Botham Jean.

NewsOne Staff
Written By NewsOne Staff
Posted 7 hours ago

The 911 call made by an off duty Dallas police officer who shot and killed a man in his own home last year has been made public by a local news station. WFAA on Monday night published the audio of Amber Guyger‘s frantic phone conversation with an emergency services operator in moments after she shot and killed Botham Shem Jean in his own home back in September.

The call provided a glimpse into what Guyger may have been thinking after she purportedly mistook Jean for a burglar in her apartment, which was actually located one floor below.

WFAA said that it “obtained the recording after months of reporting,” but it could have been leaked by Guyger’s defense attorneys, or even her former colleagues at the Dallas Police Department, looking to curry favor with potential jurors in her murder trial, which was slated to begin in late September, more than a year after Botham was killed. The 911 call has not been officially released by any law enforcement agency.

On the call, Guyger can be heard breathing heavily and cursing in between telling the operator what she had done. Guyger openly says several times that she’s probably going to lose her job over this, apparently showing more concern for her career than the innocent Black man she is accused of executing.

“I’m f*cked,” she said at one point during the call before later adding, “I’m going to lose my job.”

-snip-


Read more: https://newsone.com/3851920/amber-guyger-911-call/

______________________________________________________________________

Source: Loop News

Jean Family Lawyer: Guyger supporters leaked audio to gain sympathy

LOOP NEWS CREATED : 30 APRIL 2019

Jean family attorney Lee Merritt reacted in a Facebook post to the release of the 911 call that Amber Guyger made following her fatally shooting Botham Jean in his own apartment:

Merritt wrote: "Supporters of Amber Guyger, the former Dallas Police officer that murdered Botham Jean in his apartment, have leaked a recording of her 911 call to the media in hopes of drumming up sympathy ahead of the looming murder trial.

On the recording, Guyger repeatedly claims that she thought she was in her apartment. She callously despairs over the idea that she would probably lose her job— not that she had murdered a man in his own home. There is nothing new that can be gleaned from this recording that helps justify Guyger’s actions.

Completely absent from the 911 recording is any actual justification for the use of deadly force. Guyger will almost certainly argue at trial that she “feared for her life”. She failed to make any such claim moments after shooting Botham in the chest. If he presented a threat to her at all— this would be the first thing she said as she explained away her actions on the call.

-snip-


Read more: http://www.loopslu.com/content/jean-family-lawyer-guyger-supporters-leaked-audio-gain-sympathy

A symbol of slavery -- and survival

Source: Washington Post

A symbol of slavery — and survival

Angela’s arrival in Jamestown in 1619 marked the beginning of a subjugation that left millions in chains.

By DeNeen L. Brown
APRIL 29, 2019

By the time Angela was brought to Jamestown’s muddy shores in 1619, she had survived war and capture in West Africa, a forced march of more than 100 miles to the sea, a miserable Portuguese slave ship packed with 350 other Africans and an attack by pirates during the journey to the Americas.

“All of that,” marveled historian James Horn, president of the Jamestown Rediscovery Foundation, “before she is put aboard the Treasurer,” one of two British privateers that delivered the first Africans to the English colony of Virginia.

Now, as the country marks the 400th anniversary of the arrival of those first slaves, historians are trying to find out as much as possible about Angela, the first African woman documented in Virginia. They see her as a seminal figure in American history — a symbol of 246 years of brutal subjugation that left millions of men, women and children enslaved at the start of the Civil War.

Two years ago, researchers launched an archaeological investigation in Jamestown at the site of the first permanent English settlement in North America to find any surviving evidence of Angela.

She is listed in the 1624 and 1625 census as living in the household of Capt. William Pierce, first as “Angelo a Negar” and then as “Angela Negro woman in by Treasurer.” By then, she had survived two other harrowing events: a Powhatan Indian attack in 1622 that left 347 colonists dead and the famine that followed.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/04/29/she-was-captured-enslaved-years-ago-now-angela-symbolizes-brutal-history/

Mozambique situation 'worse than thought': UN agency

Source: BBC

Mozambique situation 'worse than thought': UN agency

28 April 2019

The situation in northern Mozambique is worse than thought, a UN spokesman says, days after Cyclone Kenneth ravaged the country.

The system struck the Africa nation on Thursday with winds of 220km/h (140mph) which flattened whole villages.

Around 700,000 people are now thought to be at risk in the area as torrential rains continue.

Pemba, regional capital of Cabo Delgado state, has experienced more than 2m (6.5ft) of rain and flooding.

Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs (Ocha) spokesman Saviano Abreu said the situation in the towns of Macomia and Quissanga was critical, adding that there were also worries for the cut-off island of Ibo.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-48087906

https://twitter.com/deboreve/status/1122506789659074560

NYT Editorial Board: ICE Tried to Deport an Immigration Activist. That May Have Been Unconstitutiona

Source: New York Times

ICE Tried to Deport an Immigration Activist. That May Have Been Unconstitutional.

An appeals court has ruled that the Constitution bars the government from targeting immigrants like Ravi Ragbir for their advocacy.

By The Editorial Board
The editorial board represents the opinions of the board, its editor and the publisher. It is separate from the newsroom and the Op-Ed section.

April 27, 2019

Ravi Ragbir became an immigrant rights activist from his own experience. After coming to the United States from Trinidad and Tobago and becoming a legal resident, he was convicted of wire fraud in 2000 and, after completing his prison sentence, was ordered deported. Since then, he had been allowed to remain in the country only at the discretion of immigration officials. Last year, it seems, their patience ran out.

Mr. Ragbir, during a routine check-in with Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents in Lower Manhattan, was told that he was being detained and would be deported. Under the Trump administration, this experience is alarmingly common, even for those like Mr. Ragbir with strong family ties in the United States and with an American spouse. One thing stood out in this case: Mr. Ragbir was the executive director of the New Sanctuary Coalition — a group dedicated to assisting immigrants — and he was one of a number of immigration activists ordered detained or deported within a matter of weeks.

On Thursday, a federal appeals court ruled that in seeking to deport Mr. Ragbir, ICE may have exceeded its authority and violated his constitutional rights as a critic of the government’s immigration policies.

The court ruled that Mr. Ragbir had made a “plausible” case that the “public expression of his criticism, and its prominence, played a significant role in the recent attempts to remove him” — a type of retaliation forbidden by the First Amendment.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/opinion/sunday/ice-deportation-activists.html

______________________________________________________________________

Related: 18‐1597 Ragbir v. Homan (U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit)

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey called Rep. Ilhan Omar after Trump's tweet sparked a flood of death threats

Source: Washington Post

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey called Rep. Ilhan Omar after Trump’s tweet sparked a flood of death threats

Twitter did not take down the tweet, despite Omar’s request, a source said.

By Tony Romm April 25 at 5:34 PM

Twitter chief executive Jack Dorsey phoned Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar on Tuesday and stood by the company’s decision to permit a tweet from President Trump that later resulted in a flood of death threats targeting the congresswoman.

The previously unreported call focused on an incendiary video that Trump shared on April 12, which depicts Omar discussing the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks interspersed with footage of the Twin Towers burning. The clip did not include the full context of Omar’s remarks, which were taken from a public event on the broader issue of Islamophobia.

Omar pressed Dorsey to explain why Twitter didn’t remove Trump’s tweet outright, according to a person familiar with the conversation who spoke on condition of anonymity because the call was private. Dorsey said that the president’s tweet didn’t violate the company’s rules, a second person from Twitter confirmed.

Dorsey also pointed to the fact that the tweet and video already had been viewed and shared far beyond the site, one of the sources said. But the Twitter executive did tell Omar that the tech giant needed to do a better job generally in removing hate and harassment from the site, according to the two people familiar with the call.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/04/25/twitter-ceo-jack-dorsey-called-rep-ilhan-omar-after-trumps-tweet-sparked-flood-death-threats/

Austria broadcaster defends journalist who compared far-right poster to Nazis

Source: Reuters

WORLD NEWS APRIL 26, 2019 / 8:31 AM / UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO

Austria broadcaster defends journalist who compared far-right poster to Nazis

VIENNA (Reuters) - Austria’s public broadcaster ORF defended its top news anchor on Friday after a far right politician threatened the journalist with “consequences” for comparing an anti-immigrant poster to Nazi propaganda.

The far-right Freedom Party (FPO) is the junior partner in a coalition government with the conservatives. It says it wants to restructure the ORF which it accuses of left-wing bias.

During an interview with Harald Vilimsky, the FPO’s top candidate for the European Parliament, the host of flagship news program ZiB 2, Armin Wolf, asked Vilimsky to explain a poster created by a branch of the far-right party’s youth wing.

The poster depicted a blonde couple in traditional Austrian dress, surrounded by sneering gray figures with oversized noses accompanied by the slogan “tradition beats migration”. Wolf asked how this depiction of migrants differed from the anti-Semitic depiction of Jews in a Nazi newspaper.

“To draw this parallel, Mr Wolf, is the last straw,” Vilimsky responded. “That is something that cannot go without consequences.”

-snip-


Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-austria-politics-media/austria-broadcaster-defends-journalist-who-compared-far-right-poster-to-nazis-idUSKCN1S21AX

Recently freed Honduran transgender woman detained again by Ice

Source: The Guardian

Recently freed Honduran transgender woman detained again by Ice

Nicole Garcia Aguilar fled Honduras after being subjected to sexual assault and attempted murder linked to her gender identity

Nina Lakhani
Fri 26 Apr 2019 09.00 BST Last modified on Fri 26 Apr 2019 09.02 BST

A Honduran transgender asylum seeker who was released last week after a year incarcerated in immigration centres has been re-detained by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Ice).

The move was condemned by her legal team as punitive and damaging to the young woman’s physical and mental health.

Nicole Garcia Aguilar, 24, fled southern Honduras after being subjected to death threats, sexual assault and attempted murder linked to her gender identity. She sought help from the police in Honduras, but was told by one officer that the violence against her was “because of the way [she is]” and would not stop until she was dead.

-snip-

Before being released, Garcia was transferred to an Ice custody in El Paso, Texas, where she had a pending criminal charge. The charge was dismissed and Garcia finally released from Ice detention on 17 April but given no release paperwork – a document that is essential in order to travel freely and avoid detention at immigration checkpoints.

On 24 April, Garcia, accompanied by advocates from the Detained Migrants Solidarity Committee, went to the Ice office in El Paso to obtain her release paperwork where she was taken into custody.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/26/transgender-asylum-seeker-nicole-garcia-aguilar-detained

Canada watchdog to seek court order to force Facebook to follow privacy laws

Source: Reuters

BUSINESS NEWS APRIL 25, 2019 / 10:26 AM / UPDATED 6 HOURS AGO

Canada watchdog to seek court order to force Facebook to follow privacy laws

Steve Scherer, David Ljunggren
3 MIN READ

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Facebook Inc broke Canadian privacy laws when it collected the information of some 600,000 citizens, a top watchdog said on Thursday, pledging to seek a court order to force the social media giant to change its practices.

Privacy Commissioner Daniel Therrien made his comments while releasing the results of an investigation, opened a year ago, into a data sharing scandal involving Facebook and the now-defunct British political consulting firm Cambridge Analytica.

Though Facebook has acknowledged a “major breach of trust”, the company disputed the results of the probe, Therrien said.

“Facebook’s refusal to act responsibly is deeply troubling given the vast amount of sensitive personal information users have entrusted to this company,” said Therrien.

He said the company refused to voluntarily submit to audits of its privacy policies and practices over the next five years.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-facebook/canada-watchdog-to-seek-court-order-to-force-facebook-to-follow-privacy-laws-idUSKCN1S11VZ

Nearly 170m under-10s unvaccinated against measles worldwide

Source: The Guardian

Nearly 170m under-10s unvaccinated against measles worldwide

Figure includes half a million in UK, as Unicef warns the disease could ‘spread like wildfire’

Sarah Boseley Health editor
Thu 25 Apr 2019 00.01 BST Last modified on Thu 25 Apr 2019 00.45 BST

Nearly 170 million children in the world under the age of 10, including half a million in the UK and 2.5 million in the US, are unprotected from measles in the face of growing outbreaks of the disease, Unicef is warning.

More than 21 million children a year are not vaccinated against one of the most infectious organisms in existence, says the UN body. Between 2010 and 2017, an estimated 169 million children missed the first of the recommended two-dose regime.

“The ground for the global measles outbreaks we are witnessing today was laid years ago,” said Henrietta Fore, Unicef executive director. “The measles virus will always find unvaccinated children. If we are serious about averting the spread of this dangerous but preventable disease, we need to vaccinate every child, in rich and poor countries alike.”

Simon Stevens, the chief executive of NHS England, warned the situation was serious. “Getting yourself and your children vaccinated against killer diseases is essential to staying healthy, and vaccine rejection is a serious and growing public health timebomb,” he said.

He called for Facebook and Twitter to take action against the posting of anti-vaccine propaganda and conspiracy theories. ...

-snip-

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/25/nearly-170m-under-10s-unvaccinated-against-measles-worldwide

From Sudan's protesters, a warning to Saudi Arabia and the UAE: Don't meddle

Source: Washington Post

From Sudan’s protesters, a warning to Saudi Arabia and the UAE: Don’t meddle

By Max Bearak and Kareem Fahim April 24 at 3:30 PM

KHARTOUM, Sudan — Amid the chants praising the “revolution of the people,” a new slogan appeared this week at a massive sit-in protest in Sudan’s capital: “We do not want Saudi aid even if we have to eat beans and falafel!”

The chant underscored the suspicion in the protest camp about the motives of Saudi Arabia and its close ally, the United Arab Emirates, after they jointly pledged $3 billion in aid to Sudan’s transitional military government, which deposed Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir this month after 30 years in power.

The protests, which have spread across the country to become the biggest in a generation, have continued to swell after his ouster, putting pressure on the military to swiftly transfer power to a civilian council until elections can be held.

But many within the protests fear that the powerful monarchies in Saudi Arabia and the UAE are using their immense wealth to suppress democracy and support a “counterrevolution,” as they have been accused of doing elsewhere in the region.

-snip-


Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/for-sudans-protesters-another-threat-looms-meddling-by-saudi-arabia-and-the-uae/2019/04/24/b2986416-667f-11e9-a1b6-b29b90efa879_story.html
Go to Page: 1 2 Next »