Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member


csziggy's Journal
csziggy's Journal
April 25, 2019

UPDATE: Anybody else having problems with their Amazon Prime membership?

I was watching series via my Prime membership when it suddenly began asking for payment. So I went to Amazon online and I get the message: "Important Message - Unable to display prime membership information try again."

Even clicking on the direct Prime link doesn't give me any more info.

UPDATE: Prime seems to be fixed! I'm now streaming Eureka on Prime - which is where I was going when the system glitched.

April 20, 2019

Where is the best place to find 35mm film and to get it developed?

I just inherited two Canon A-1 bodies and a set of various lenses for them. They have been barely used - my Dad bought them but never got into using them much. They have been stored in a hard case that was well sealed and are like new.

I'm not sure if I will use them - I've gotten too spoiled with my Nikon D750 I just bought and love the immediacy of the digital cameras. But it would nice to try these old Canons out.

April 12, 2019

Tuna Out The Gifts

NOT my cat or my story. This is a story from a site I find very funny:

Falls Church, home, Non-Dialogue, Pets & Animals, Silly, USA, Virginia | Related | April 11, 2019

Many years ago we had a Maine Coon. He was as friendly as can be, unless you were a squirrel. His favorite thing to do was to decapitate a squirrel and then hide in the bushes next to the front door. As soon as the door would open, he would run inside with the poor thing and drop it on the carpet. I know he was trying to show us how to hunt, but this was a bit much to put up with.

Throwing them out didn’t get the point across, so one day I tried a different tactic. This time I went to the kitchen, grabbed a can of tuna, and started eating it right in front of him. He picked up the dead squirrel and took it outside, and I didn’t see him for three days. I never knew it was possible to insult a cat.

He did forgive me. And in the next 17 years, he never once brought another prize in the house.

April 8, 2019

Now MSNBC's Pete WIlliams says the Secret Service chief is out!

That's all I have, just a banner up. I missed his commentary. No link - live on air.

April 7, 2019

Trump says DHS Secretary Nielsen leaving

Source: CNN

By Priscilla Alvarez, Jake Tapper, Jim Acosta and Jeremy Diamond, CNN

Updated 6:24 PM ET, Sun April 7, 2019

(CNN)Kirstjen Nielsen, the secretary of Homeland Security who has become a face of President Donald Trump's hardline immigration push, is leaving the administration, President Donald Trump announced on Twitter Sunday afternoon.

"Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen will be leaving her position, and I would like to thank her for her service," Trump said on Twitter.

"I am pleased to announce that Kevin McAleenan, the current U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner, will become Acting Secretary for @DHSgov. I have confidence that Kevin will do a great job!" Trump continued.

Senior administration officials told CNN that Nielsen had a 5 p.m. meeting at the White House with Trump where she was planning to discuss with him the immigration and border issues and a path forward. She had no intention of resigning, according to one of the sources, but rather was going there with an agenda.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/07/politics/kirstjen-nielsen-homeland-security/index.html

Caught this live - everybody on CNN shocked!
April 7, 2019

Any advice for how to soften a blood clot/scab in long hair?

As I related elsewhere (https://www.democraticunderground.com/10181203177) while in the hospital last weekend I fell and bashed my head - no concussion but a small abrasion that bled for almost two days. I was not stable enough for the nurses to try to clean the wound and with my long hair, bandages wouldn't have stayed in place. Now I have a scab of hardened blood about .5" x 1.5" stuck in my hair.

Since getting home from the hospital on Monday I have taken a shower every day (as part of my instructions from discharge) and washed my hair but the scab is not dissolving very fast. I'd love to get it out of my hair, though it really is not bothering me otherwise. Any suggestions other than washing it daily?

April 4, 2019

The original thread was locked in the Latest Breaking News - here is the video

Original thread by Kind of Blue: https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142297904

She Survived a Slave Ship, the Civil War and the Depression. Her Name Was Redoshi
Source: The New York Times

It has long been believed that a man named Cudjo Lewis was the last living survivor of the trans-Atlantic slave trade in the United States. Now a researcher at Newcastle University in Britain says she has discovered testimony from someone who may have lived even longer — a woman named Redoshi.

The new findings, published last week in the journal Slavery & Abolition, are likely to be subject to scholarly debate, because there are few records documenting the lives of the last Africans to be captured and brought to the United States on slave ships.

Regardless of Redoshi’s precise historical status, the researcher, Hannah Durkin, has pieced together accounts from different sources and census records to carve out the remarkable life of a woman who survived the treacherous Middle Passage voyage at age 12, was sold as a child bride, and lived through the Civil War and the Great Depression. According to Dr. Durkin, Redoshi died in 1937; Lewis died in 1935.

“It was thought that this woman was lost to history,” Dr. Durkin, a lecturer at Newcastle University, said in an interview.

But Redoshi was not lost. She is believed to have been taken from a West African village before being brought to the United States in 1860 on the Clotilda, the last recorded slave ship to arrive in the country after more than 240 years of slavery.

The rest of her life provides a stark example of the physical and psychological trauma left on those who survived the trans-Atlantic slave trade, scars that continue to inflame tensions in the United States today.

Dr. Durkin wove together bits and pieces of Redoshi’s life that were found in Hurston’s unpublished writings and an interview she gave to The Montgomery Advertiser as well as in “Bridge Across Jordan,” a memoir by the civil rights leader Amelia Boynton Robinson. Redoshi was also filmed for an instructional film released in 1938 by the Department of Agriculture called “The Negro Farmer: Extension Work for Better Farming and Better Living,” possibly making her the only female Clotilda survivor who appeared on film.

The film, which was meant to showcase issues facing formerly enslaved people as they tried to become farmers, shows Redoshi as an old woman on the porch of her small home, made out of wooden planks on a plantation in Alabama. As a narrator speaks, she can be seen talking to someone as she sits in a chair, wrapped by a quilt. Her white hair looks fuzzy, marked by stray braids poking out of it, and her skin is dark and thick but still vibrant. She has a gaptoothed smile, and cheekbones rising up to her eyes.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/us/transatlantic-slave-trade-last-survivor.html

I found the video at: https://www.al.com/news/2019/04/last-african-slave-brought-to-us-now-thought-to-be-woman-who-lived-in-alabama.html

Sally Smith (Redoshi) is at the 1:50 mark in the video:

April 3, 2019

Ok, I survived another surgery

My list of major surgeries impress even the doctors and medical professionals. The latest was fusion of the L5 to S1 vertebrae. I lost over forty pounds so they could do the non-invasive version. This means I have only three pretty small incisions.

The surgery was Friday afternoon - it was scheduled for 10:30 in the morning but with various things I wasn't taken into the operating room until 3 PM. I was in my hospital room at 6:30 PM.

Saturday was great - I felt good, aced the first physical therapy session and they were going to try to discharge me that afternoon. Unfortunately (or maybe not) getting home physical therapy set up with the insurance company was slow so I stayed over Saturday night.

Sunday morning after breakfast I needed to pee and being a good patient I buzzed for assistance and sat up on the side of the bed. I began feeling nauseous and didn't want to make a mess so I took my walker and went in the bathroom. I stood over the sink, not sure if I was going to throw up or not. Then suddenly I was under the sink and the walker was on the floor with me.

I could not reach either of the emergency pull cords in the bathroom and couldn't seem to make much noise. Fortunately a CNA tech in training came in, probably in response to my original buzz. Poor thing panicked and ran out into the hall yelling, "Help, Help!" She was really shaken up the rest of the day and I kept apologizing for scaring her.

I was really gray feeling, my sight was grayed, out and apparently I was very white. When they took my blood pressure before trying to get me up it was 78/47. The second and third times were not much higher. They got me into a wheelchair and back into bed. Later they took me for a CT scan of my head - I had a bad laceration and had whacked it pretty good - I still have a good sized sore area. The CT proves yet again that I have a hard head - no damage to my skull or brain.

My blood pressure did not return to normal for hours and it is still trending low. They did check my heart - EKG, heart monitor and echo-cardiogram. With my history of aortic valve replacement, they wanted to make sure I was OK. The current theory is that with my weight loss (66 pounds since I had the valve replacement) and surgery I may not need blood pressure medicine any more. They told me to take it here at home, but with my blood pressure hovering at 105/60 I have not. I'm also not taking the opioids that were prescribed since those can also lower blood pressure.

I guess I was better off staying in the hospital Saturday night so I was there when I fell rather than at home.

Tomorrow I start home physical therapy and I hope everything goes OK. I hope the therapist will let me walk around outside - I am tired of being cooped up!

Profile Information

Gender: Do not display
Hometown: Leon County, Florida
Member since: Tue Feb 12, 2008, 09:18 PM
Number of posts: 34,070

Journal Entries

Latest Discussions»csziggy's Journal