Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search
 

Spider Jerusalem

(21,786 posts)
22. Trump is a symptom. Not a cause.
Wed Jun 5, 2019, 08:06 PM
Jun 2019

Trump leaves office? States with 16% of the population will still be able to command a Senate majority and block any meaningful progress that the other 84% of the population might want; lifetime judicial appointments won't be going away and the Supreme Court will continue to be a bastion of right-wing extremism. The form of government mandated in the Constitution is no longer fit for purpose. Things will only become increasingly polarised, and even if a Democratic president is elected in 2020, they're likely to be hamstrung by a Republican Senate and a right-wing Supreme Court.

And with the increasing effects of climate change, the planet in general is on a one-way trip to Mass Extinction City; things are going to get very ugly in the next 30 years or so, and I'm not entirely sure that America is going to survive what's coming in any form any of us would recognise.

i'm not sure there is any "going back" 0rganism Jun 2019 #1
"How" we get back to normal is the $1,000,000 question. BigmanPigman Jun 2019 #3
It won't. roamer65 Jun 2019 #6
When I posted this most of the votes were in the extremes. BigmanPigman Jun 2019 #20
If we have a Democratic President, House, and Senate, MineralMan Jun 2019 #2
Things weren't exactly the best before Trump. Before Bush live love laugh Jun 2019 #4
At this rate, we will never recover. FiveGoodMen Jun 2019 #5
just the Supreme Court alone makes it over 30 years Skittles Jun 2019 #7
boom! (especially if the orange bloat replaces RBG, Breyer, Sotomayor (diabetes) & an ageing Thomas) Celerity Jun 2019 #17
He will not leave willingly Nictuku Jun 2019 #8
so? cart his ass out like Assange Skittles Jun 2019 #9
I'd love to see him hole-up in the White House. Turin_C3PO Jun 2019 #14
... and who will do that? The DOJ (Barr?) Nictuku Jun 2019 #15
Pelosi needs to get with the program Skittles Jun 2019 #18
We will not recover. SamKnause Jun 2019 #10
It all depends Calculating Jun 2019 #11
Nope, SCOTUS will not be "back on track" obamanut2012 Jun 2019 #13
SCOTUS and other things, so 30-70 years obamanut2012 Jun 2019 #12
We can repair many things in 4-8 years. Turin_C3PO Jun 2019 #16
Richard Nixon was "patient zero"; Trump is the advanced stage of disease. VOX Jun 2019 #19
The federal judges, the environment... Flaleftist Jun 2019 #21
Trump is a symptom. Not a cause. Spider Jerusalem Jun 2019 #22
I don't see the nation recovering from this anarch Jun 2019 #23
Latest Discussions»General Discussion»DU Poll: How long will i...»Reply #22