HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » Suggestions for high scho... » Reply #4

Response to exboyfil (Original post)

Mon Apr 21, 2014, 01:11 PM

4. Is there a four-year college in the vicinity with a music department?

If so, try to find an upper-level undergrad or a grad student majoring in clarinet or violin who gives private lessons.

Music majors have to practice a lot, and there is an art to practicing. They don't just play a piece over and over again hoping to improve. They have to figure out what and WHY certain passages are stumbling blocks, and then learn how to fix 'em. These are skills every musician needs and they are specific to each instrument.

I'm suggesting a college student as a teacher because they are close to your daughter's age and remember having the same problems just a few years earlier. Lessons don't have to be weekly. Even once a month with a good teacher is a better investment than software, in my experience.

(I started music lessons at age five but I was a freshman in college before I had a teacher that taught me good practice techniques. It made all the difference.)

Reply to this post

Back to OP Alert abuse Link to post in-thread

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
exboyfil Apr 2014 OP
mercuryblues Apr 2014 #1
Loudly Apr 2014 #2
Voice for Peace Apr 2014 #3
LineNew Reply Is there a four-year college in the vicinity with a music department?
End Of The Road Apr 2014 #4
exboyfil Apr 2014 #5
Please login to view edit histories.