HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Addiction & Recovery (Group) » Holy Crap! I just got the... » Reply #13

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #11)

Wed May 9, 2012, 06:54 PM

13. Yep

The perfection trap and the control trap and the worry trap are the ones that have ensnared me all my life.

I thought the second two would keep my safe (magical thinking!). And the first one was the only way I could see myself as good enough. They all still catch me from time to time, but now, I get back up, brush off my knees and keep going.

I try hard not to get out of today because 90% of what I think will happen in the future is wrong and the other 10% happens but often differently and all the worry and control in the world won't stop the bad or the good. It's actually very freeing when I can stay there and when I can't, well, wash, rinse, repeat. I also used to beat myself up for not meeting my standards, that was also soul wasting.

Now I look at what I did, what I can learn and I get back up. And every day there is meeting to help remind me.

I feel very blessed to have had an addict in my life so that I went to find my recovery. I hope the addict is recovering, but that's all I do around the addict. He can not be my concern, now that he showed me that I was and am so very emotionally sick. He did his part and now I do my part. I can only change me and only one day at a time.

And cheer on my fellow travelers. We are all working so very hard and it deserves to be noticed and cheered on.



Reply to this post

Back to OP Alert abuse Link to post in-thread

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Please login to view edit histories.