HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Morbid Primary thought of... » Reply #4
Joe BidenCongratulations to our presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden!
In the discussion thread: Morbid Primary thought of the Week [View all]

Response to uawchild (Original post)

Mon Jun 10, 2019, 08:24 PM

4. the big problem is that due to Rethug gerrymandering and voter suppression, many previously swing

 

districts that were probably centre left are now much more red and slanted to the centre right or far right. To have a decent chance of winning those districts, we have to run far more moderate candidates than the overall demographics of our Party appear to be shifting to. 2018 showed this to be the case. So much of the centre-right/far right voting population (especially outside of the solid blue states, but sometimes even inside them as well, and also at state assembly levels across the nation) is vastly over-represented now in the House.

The Senate is also polarised, and the RW is becoming more and more over-represented there as well. BY the mid-2030's or so, 70% of the Senate seats will be controlled by only 30% of the US population, and that 30% is far older, whiter, less-educated, more rural, more reactionary RW, and more fundie than than the other 70%. The only way to sort that is to add PR and DC as states and possibly split my state (California) into North and South California (or pick new names if you do not like those). That would add six new Democratic seats and help balance the long-wave constitutional demographic time-bomb baked into those projections of the Senate.
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Back to OP Alert abuse Link to post in-thread

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
uawchild Jun 2019 OP
CaliforniaPeggy Jun 2019 #1
Kurt V. Jun 2019 #2
LibFarmer Jun 2019 #3
LineNew Reply the big problem is that due to Rethug gerrymandering and voter suppression, many previously swing
Celerity Jun 2019 #4
Otto Lidenbrock Jun 2019 #5
uawchild Jun 2019 #7
htuttle Jun 2019 #6
delisen Jun 2019 #8
Blue_true Jun 2019 #9
Please login to view edit histories.