HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Professor amazed: today's...

Tue Feb 27, 2018, 12:02 AM

Professor amazed: today's "conservatives" aren't actually conservative.

Jeffrey P. Kimball, Miami University professor emeritus, has finally articulated what has been needling me for years. So-called "conservatives" should be conserving the New Deal, national parks, polite manners, and other longstanding US traditions. They aren't, in fact, conserving much of anything – especially under the current Russian puppet despoiling the Whitehouse. Referring to dictionary definitions of conservative, Kimball states in Raw Story:

These definitions are unhelpful and misleading. Self-proclaimed political and social conservatives are not necessarily inclined to support or maintain the “traditional” social order – that is, long-standing majority views, conditions, institutions, or legislation. These include government regulation of corporations, banks, and Wall Street, progressive income taxes, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, public education, civil rights, voting rights, environmental regulations, and public-lands conservation. Self-identified conservatives also oppose other traditional institutions, practices, and measures, such as the United Nations, international standards for the treatment of prisoners of war, labor unions, collective bargaining, fair labor standards, and, for some, public fluoridation of water. The measures conservatives oppose were legislated, created, or practiced 50 to 100 or more years ago.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/shouldnt-use-label-conservatives-describe-americas-right-wing/

6 replies, 1181 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Professor amazed: today's "conservatives" aren't actually conservative. (Original post)
DemocracyMouse Feb 2018 OP
marybourg Feb 2018 #1
Beartracks Feb 2018 #2
Baitball Blogger Feb 2018 #3
DemocratSinceBirth Feb 2018 #4
dawg Feb 2018 #5
DemocracyMouse Feb 2018 #6

Response to DemocracyMouse (Original post)

Tue Feb 27, 2018, 12:09 AM

1. They've been radical reactionaries for decades!

Conservatives, my a**.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 27, 2018, 01:07 AM

2. They support the needs of an elitist minority.

That being the far right Christians and the rich. Republican voters have been co-opted and don't even know it. Sad.

========

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 27, 2018, 09:18 AM

3. Please. If you look at my old posts you would see that is no new revelation.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 27, 2018, 09:20 AM

4. The benchmarks of Burkean conservatism were prudence, moderation, and a respect for tradition.

That's not the GOP.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 27, 2018, 09:29 AM

5. They aren't "conservatives", they are fascists.

I'm not even being hyperbolic.

One can be a fascist without necessarily being genocidal.

The true "conservatives", by the way, are the incrementalists within the Democratic Party.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 27, 2018, 02:36 PM

6. So why do journalists/pundits keep calling them"conservatives"?

It gives them a kind of middling respect they don't actually deserve. Some good alternatives proposed in the dialogue above:

—Reactionaries
—Fascists

What, however, would the pundits be comfortable actually using? (Even though those terms are actually more accurate!)

Pundits are always seeking the "acceptable" term – we need to start calling folks out when the use "conservative". As in:

"Really? I didn't know Trump (etc) wanted to conserve our National Parks and our tradition of Social Security and Constitutionally mandated national welfare."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread