HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » For context, we have been...

Sat Mar 21, 2020, 09:59 AM

For context, we have been here before - The Forgotten Plague - American Experience

Why is it that the US has the shortest memory and attention span? We are not unique or special. There is nothing new under the sun.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/plague/

It wasn't until the late 1880's that medicine finally figured out that how Tuberculosis was spread. Up until then, it was thought to be a family disease.

After germ theory was finally accepted, people were sequestered into sanatoriums and stayed there until they died.

3 replies, 832 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply For context, we have been here before - The Forgotten Plague - American Experience (Original post)
Hestia Mar 2020 OP
The Blue Flower Mar 2020 #1
edhopper Mar 2020 #2
The Blue Flower Mar 2020 #3

Response to Hestia (Original post)

Sat Mar 21, 2020, 10:37 AM

1. Interesting info from the mid-1600s on this topic

I'm reading Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe. He chronicles life in London during that plague year. I was surprised that he called it an "infection". People knew it could be contained by keeping people isolated and then burning their belongings if they died. The city's bureaucracy was enlisted with specific jobs to monitor the spread and there were severe penalties for not doing their jobs.

The book is available for free at www.gutenberg.org. I recommend it highly for an intimate look at living through what happens to a society under that pressure.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to The Blue Flower (Reply #1)

Sat Mar 21, 2020, 10:38 AM

2. Was that

The Sleeping Sickness?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to edhopper (Reply #2)

Sat Mar 21, 2020, 10:48 AM

3. It is thought to have been the bubonic plague

nt