HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A liberal girlfriend of m...

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 12:46 AM

A liberal girlfriend of mine sent me this essay.

It's written by a liberal girlfriend of hers who lives in Portland. My girlfriend said it's OK to post this; she thinks that it deserves a wider audience. I agree.

> From Leni Tupper
> I joined the wall of moms at the protests at the Portland justice center and the federal courthouse last night. I made sure to talk with some Black and brown organizers before I went, to check that they didnít feel that us middle-aged, mostly-white ladies were taking away from the activists who have literally been there every night for 53 nights (many of whom are moms themselves, itís worth noting). Everyone assured me there was nothing but love for the moms.
>
> Except from law enforcement. The feds tear gassed us without warning, while they hid inside the comfort of their federal property. Once we got gassed and were trying to leave, they threw flash bangs, pepper balls, and tear gas cannisters at us (including expired ones- a friend kept the empty. In case you donít knowó I didnítóexpired tear gas can convert to cyanide). I could barely see the lines of unidentifiable men in camouflaged army fatigues approaching the crowd through a thick layer of smoke.
>
> Each corner we tried to calmly exit by, there were more hazy goons throwing more tear gas, pepper spray and flash bangs. A friend I was with shouted, ďI donít like this way!Ē as we waded through a cloud of gas. But when we turned around, we saw every other way out only had more.
>
> These are not your everyday cops in riot gear, holding a line, whose faces you can see and whose humanity you can at least imagine. I know that PPB has done all the same messed up shit and is working with the feds, but being attacked by nameless, faceless, camo-clad agents of war who only appear in a cloud of smoke and gas feels different.
>
> They were not dispersing the crowd, they were punishing us.
>
> I am proud to say that last nightís protest was one of the biggest since George Floydís murder. PPB and now federal agents try to quell the protests, to punish the protestors into submission. But the people only come back stronger, in larger groups.
>
> Please donít buy the media and right-wing hype trying to cast protestors in a negative light. The worst that protestors have done is vandalize some propertyó primarily property that represents systemic injustices against Black and brown folks. And please donít buy into the good protestor/bad protestor trope, or throw your respectability politics at the activists who are in the struggle. When people are literally fighting for Black lives, donít police how exactly they do it. They get enough of that from the police and now the feds. Those are the only people who are being violent; those are the only people who deserve your scorn.
>
> Being a respectable middle-aged mom did not keep me from being tear-gassed. Being respectable does not save Black lives. In the words of Assata Shakur, ďNobody in the world, nobody in history, has ever gotten their freedom by appealing to the moral sense of the people who were oppressing them.Ē

16 replies, 1888 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply A liberal girlfriend of mine sent me this essay. (Original post)
CaliforniaPeggy Jul 2020 OP
tblue37 Jul 2020 #1
Beakybird Jul 2020 #2
Nevilledog Jul 2020 #3
Cha Jul 2020 #4
morillon Jul 2020 #5
Canoe52 Jul 2020 #11
littlemissmartypants Jul 2020 #6
Heartstrings Jul 2020 #7
Hekate Jul 2020 #8
BadgerMom Jul 2020 #9
onetexan Jul 2020 #10
morillon Jul 2020 #12
GoneOffShore Jul 2020 #13
smirkymonkey Jul 2020 #14
malaise Jul 2020 #15
spanone Jul 2020 #16

Response to CaliforniaPeggy (Original post)

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 12:50 AM

1. K&R for visibility. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 12:50 AM

2. Very powerful and terrifying. Heartbreaking.

I live in the Chicago suburbs, and I'm ready to show up if these goons are sent here.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 12:52 AM

3. Thank you for sharing this. K & R

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 12:55 AM

4. Thank you for the on the ground report from your

friend in Portland, CP!

Bookmarking!

Reply to this post

Response to morillon (Reply #5)

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 03:01 AM

11. Thanks for posting, this is a great find!

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 01:51 AM

6. Kicked and recommended. Thanks for sharing this, CP. ❤ nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 02:23 AM

7. Thank you, CaliforniaPeggy....

Itís appalling and something we all need to have on the ground experiences voiced for us to relate.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 02:24 AM

8. KnR and may the Goddess be with them in all their brave deeds...

May I suggest sending this to some of the best at CNN and MSNBC? Nicolle Wallace, Joy Reid, and Rachel Maddow at MSNBC ó and I donít know who at CNN except I have seen some good reporting when Iíve gone by.

That is, if it is okay with your friend. She provides an invaluable eye-witness account.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 02:53 AM

9. K & R

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 03:01 AM

10. K&R

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 03:55 AM

13. Thanks for sharing this

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 09:19 AM

14. K&R

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 10:12 AM

15. K & R

Must read

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 22, 2020, 10:19 AM

16. ⭐️⭐️⭐️K&R ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread