HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » So it is essentially a gi...

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 09:25 AM

So it is essentially a given that Biden will win the popular vote

I think the republicans and Trump are conceding that point with all the ‘we aren’t a democracy, we are a republic” and similar rhetoric. Matter of fact, I don’t think a republican will ever win the popular vote in the foreseeable future.

That got me thinking, they love to claim that America is a ‘center right’ country or throw out the ‘silent majority’ nonsense. Those really can’t be true when they have lost the popular vote in 7 of the last 8 elections and about to be 8/9.

4 replies, 546 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply So it is essentially a given that Biden will win the popular vote (Original post)
Proud liberal 80 Oct 2020 OP
Statistical Oct 2020 #1
rso Oct 2020 #2
Blues Heron Oct 2020 #3
Walleye Oct 2020 #4

Response to Proud liberal 80 (Original post)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 09:28 AM

1. Yeah the country may have been center right 40 years ago

but the GOP has pushed further and further to the right into crazy land while the population has drifted left.

As you point out if the country really was center right they should consistently and easily will the popular vote. They have only once in 32 years and that Jr's re-election in 2004. Re-election's strong favor the incumbent so not really sure that shows a conservative bent more a re-elect the incumbent bent.

Most of what the right calls radical leftist ideas like a $15 minimum wage, higher taxes on the rich, universal healthcare, taxpayer funded higher education, etc are supported by a wide swath of the electorate. They aren't "leftist" ideas they are centrist ideas.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 09:30 AM

2. Popular Vore

Fortunately, a popular vote victory by 6 points or above also gives us the EC in virtually every instance.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 09:31 AM

3. yeah and that "rank democracy" comment by Mike Lee blew my mind

these effers aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 09:33 AM

4. They like to say the American people have decided when in fact the American people voted the opposit

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread