HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Yeah, I hate to say "Obam...

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 09:53 AM

Yeah, I hate to say "Obama was right" But Obama was right. TPP

And I told you so and got clobbered here on DU

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/the-big-trade-move-america-got-wrong-201149752.html

Really makes things more difficult for the Biden administration.= and our future with the rest of the world.,
Most critics hadn't even read the full text and the GOP was just obsessed with obstructing anything Obama wanted to do and many progressives were misled or didn't fully understand. HRC even switched to accommodate her base and ward off Sanders supporters. But here we are.

6 replies, 1107 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Yeah, I hate to say "Obama was right" But Obama was right. TPP (Original post)
joetheman Sep 22 OP
BeyondGeography Sep 22 #1
betsuni Sep 22 #2
House of Roberts Sep 22 #3
Walleye Sep 22 #4
Hoyt Sep 22 #5
joetheman Sep 22 #6

Response to joetheman (Original post)

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 10:00 AM

1. Not to worry

We got eight nuke subs coming online Down Under sometime in the late 30s. Maybe.

Now China applies for TPP membership. Who said they didnít have a sense of humor? Itís all too stupid for words.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 10:14 AM

2. People who had no idea what the TPP was repeated bullshit by populists with

no idea what they were talking about, thought manufacturing only began declining in the U.S. in the '90s because of trade deals. Idiots. Mindlessly repeated the buzzwords neoliberals-status quo-oligarchs-corporatists-establishment.

A few people here were right, the ones who knew what the hell they were talking about.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 10:27 AM

3. The arguments I remember against TPP

were that sovereign countries could be forced to comply with international rules that could allow multinational corporations to dictate which environmental regulations could be enforced, thus rendering efforts to combat climate change ineffective.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 10:42 AM

4. I think the opposition to the TPP was inspired by Russian propaganda

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 10:48 AM

5. The bashing of Obama and Clinton over TPP was instrumental in giving us trump.

What got me were those who kept saying the negotiations were "secret" -- one even claiming it would be 5 years after ratification until we could see the agreement -- when you could go on line and review it. We ate our own in many ways 2016.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #5)

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 02:33 PM

6. A lot of the bashing was right here on DU. I never understood it. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread