HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » That 5 day COVID isolatio...

Fri Jan 7, 2022, 02:38 PM

That 5 day COVID isolation guidance feels strange

So given we were both positive, neither of us have gone to public areas since last week. However, staples have been getting a bit low, so it feels like a trip to Costco is in order this morning. I went to the CDC guidance page to see what could be seen.

The guidance for isolation is 5 days after symptoms start. The way omicron has been running with us and our friends/family who have also tested positive, it has taken almost five days just to have it run its course. I didn't feel approximately ok until Day 5. It was the first day I didn't take advil. CDC guidance says five days, and you can end isolation after that if you don't have a fever or heavy symptoms.

It's Day 9 for me, and I think I'm fine. Light run of the mill winter/cold air congestion, no fatigue. Partner has a persistent but occasional cough - once or twice an hour there's some of that deep chest action he's had since he started.

I'm skipping gym for another week, because it's an enclosed space with a lot of breathing. Doesn't feel quite responsible to go yet. Just walking and bike riding until then. But I do need to go to the store.

But 5 Days. Even though I didn't need advil by Day 5, going out in public does not feel like it would've been at all responsible. I think the store is fine. Mask, way social distance out of caution for others. But if I didn't work from home and had to go back to the office on Monday? I don't think anyone would've been entirely safe around me. Literally the day after symptoms, we're all good with being around co-workers?

The thought feels very strange.

5 replies, 542 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply That 5 day COVID isolation guidance feels strange (Original post)
Sympthsical Jan 2022 OP
dewsgirl Jan 2022 #1
WhiskeyGrinder Jan 2022 #2
LAS14 Jan 2022 #3
Hiawatha Pete Jan 2022 #4
crickets Jan 2022 #5

Response to Sympthsical (Original post)

Fri Jan 7, 2022, 02:44 PM

2. It's strange for actual people but makes perfect sense for Capital.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 7, 2022, 02:46 PM

3. Walensky (head of CDC) gave a pretty clear statement...

... on TV the other day. Lots of data now shows that transmissibility starts about 2 days before symptoms and lasts through 2 days after symptoms. No one was transmissible more than 5 days after onset of symptoms. Change is based on the accumulation of data.

It's the 2 days before symptoms that are the trickiest.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 7, 2022, 02:59 PM

4. And likely nothing at all to do with Delta Airlines lobbying...

"Delta's CEO asked the CDC for a 5-day isolation":
https://www.npr.org/2021/12/29/1068731487/delta-ceo-asks-cdc-to-cut-quarantine

Reply to this post

Response to Hiawatha Pete (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 7, 2022, 03:13 PM

5. Ah. Wondered which corporate jackasses pushed the idiocy. Good to know - thanks. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread