HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Some conservatives/Republ...

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 09:13 AM

Some conservatives/Republicans are so ignorant about medical insurance.

They are so out of touch with the realities of medical insurance that they don’t realize that these days, more and more employers DON’T offer group medical insurance.

These days, more and more jobs are part-time, no group medical insurance. There are a lot of these part-time jobs in state government as well. State government jobs have changed a lot since the glory days of yesteryear when ALL state government workers had fantastic benefits.

If you have group medical insurance through your employer, you are LUCKY. (You are not “blessed,” as I heard someone say not long ago. You are just LUCKY.)

Oh, and individual insurance is hardly even worth having. I had it for years. Paid close to $300/month in premiums, had a large deductible--$5000—and they never paid for a cotton picking thing.

No-- to the conservatives/Republicans—if someone doesn’t have medical insurance, it’s not “their own fault,” which I’ve heard some say. Nowadays, it’s not just people in low-level jobs that don’t require much education who don’t have medical insurance. It’s also nice, well-spoken, well-educated people who did all the right things—and still don’t have it.

Someday when their siblings, children, or grandchildren don’t have medical insurance, maybe they’ll get it. Maybe.

7 replies, 844 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to raccoon (Original post)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 10:41 AM

1. My one reichwing sister's answer to someone without medical insurance, "Get a job with insurance."

They are totally clueless.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Mnemosyne (Reply #1)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 11:15 AM

2. Yeah, like the person would NEVER have thought of that themselves! And as if it were easy! nt

Reply to this post

Response to raccoon (Reply #2)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 12:08 PM

3. That's like one relative's response when I mention doing a home repair project ourselves

"You could just hire someone to do it!" Uhh, gee, thanks.

Reply to this post

Response to raccoon (Reply #2)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 12:45 PM

4. Simpletons think all solutions are simple. Sickening, isn't it? nt

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 12:49 PM

5. 60% of Americans still get group insurance through an employer

Oh, and individual insurance is hardly even worth having. I had it for years. Paid close to $300/month in premiums, had a large deductible--$5000—and they never paid for a cotton picking thing.

It was still worth having because if you had a catastrophic illness you wouldn't have gone bankrupt (probably; they find a way to slime out of paying too often, but at least in theory). Insurance only works if most people pay more than it's actually "worth" to them.

Reply to this post

Response to Recursion (Reply #5)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 02:14 PM

7. That means 40% don't get it through an employer. Sucks to be them, huh?

Unless they're old enough, disabled enough, or poor enough to have Medicare or Medicaid.

The percentage of Americans who receive health insurance through employers has fallen significantly over the last decade—from 69.7 percent nationwide in 2000 to just 59.5 percent in 2011, according to a new report by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF).

In all, 47 states and the District of Columbia saw a statistically significant decline in nonelderly adults with employer-sponsored insurance (ESI), with 22 states experiencing decreases of 10 percentage points or more.

http://www.rwjf.org/en/about-rwjf/newsroom/newsroom-content/2013/04/number-of-americans-obtaining-health-insurance-through-an-employ.html

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 12:50 PM

6. Your OP title could also work with a period after "ignorant."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread