HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Dog suffocates on pet foo...

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 12:52 PM

Dog suffocates on pet food bag. Bereaved owner wants warnings about the possible dangers

in packaging.

snip

Natalie Burnell hopes to raise awareness among pet owners that any bag not just one made from Mylar, a metalized polyester can get stuck on a dogs head and the animal can panic and may not be able to get it off.

snip

Bison was left in the basement and managed to grab a bag of cat food (the family has two cats) off a shelving unit and eat the contents, but somehow got his head stuck and probably panicked, Burnell said.

snip

I had no idea he could suffocate from these bags. . . . I keep blaming myself for not putting the bag one shelf higher

Burnell since discovered a Facebook page started by another owner whose dog had suffocated after getting stuck in a snack bag. There are many postings from owners who report similar fatalities involving chip and pet food bags.


snip

People should cut up bags before putting them in the garbage, said Burnell.




http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/06/25/dog_suffocates_on_pet_food_bag.html











8 replies, 1608 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dog suffocates on pet food bag. Bereaved owner wants warnings about the possible dangers (Original post)
snagglepuss Jun 2013 OP
aikoaiko Jun 2013 #1
baldguy Jun 2013 #2
AndyA Jun 2013 #3
Blue Diadem Jun 2013 #4
arely staircase Jun 2013 #5
ohiosmith Jun 2013 #6
leftyohiolib Jun 2013 #7
FarCenter Jun 2013 #8

Response to snagglepuss (Original post)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 12:59 PM

1. People too stupid not to know that a plastic bag can suffocate a pet are probably not...


...the type to read the warnings on bags.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to snagglepuss (Original post)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 01:01 PM

2. Never heard of puppy-proofing the house?

 

Dog & cat food storage containers start at $5:

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2767070&categoryId=2767131&lmdn=Category&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2767131&fbc=1&fbn=Taxonomy|Food+Storage+%26+Scoops&fbx=0&OVMTC=Broad&site=&creative=32619496536&OVKEY=pet%20food%20storage%20container&url_id=150250196&adpos=1t3&device=c&devicemodel=&gclid=CI-w8rLahLgCFUOi4AodjTcAFQ

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2768973&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo&categoryId=2769010&lmdn=Bowls+%26+Feeders&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2769010&fbc=1&fbn=Taxonomy|Food+Storage+%26+Scoops&fbx=0

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to snagglepuss (Original post)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 01:02 PM

3. Pets are like kids--very curious about things.

It's awful that people have lost their pets to suffocation. I probably never would have thought about a bag of cat food being a danger--but I would have known to put it someplace where the dog and the cats couldn't get to it, no matter how hard they tried, because I could envision them ripping the thing open and spreading the food all over the place.

They're just being cats and dogs, and sometimes they get into things they shouldn't.

Not sure a warning is necessary. Would people really read it? Who has time to read all of the warnings on everything brought into the house? It's like the hot coffee warning on cups--if you're that stupid that you don't know it's hot and can burn you, you probably shouldn't be out on your own in public without supervision. Really people...take a little responsibility for yourself.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to snagglepuss (Original post)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 01:29 PM

4. Years ago I read about one who died from a cereal box bag.

It got into their trash can and the dogs head/face became stuck inside the box/bag. The people came home from work and found their dog dead. Every since then I tie a knot in any bag I'm throwing away so it can't be opened and all our pet food in placed in plastic containers.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to snagglepuss (Original post)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 01:31 PM

5. the money quote

I had no idea he could suffocate from these bags. . . . I keep blaming myself for not putting the bag one shelf higher."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to snagglepuss (Original post)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 01:34 PM

6. Might work if their pets can read!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to snagglepuss (Original post)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 01:44 PM

7. i have a sump well in my basement and i was so worried about my little corgi falling in

 

to it while trying to get water that not only did i cover the well but the walled off the room added a door and now keep it closed

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to leftyohiolib (Reply #7)

Thu Jun 27, 2013, 01:55 PM

8. Cats, small dogs, and toddlers can drown in toilets as well

 

So leave the lid down. Or the lid and seat up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread