HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A Doctor on Transvaginal ...

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 10:53 AM

A Doctor on Transvaginal Ultrasounds

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/03/20/guest-post-a-doctor-on-transvaginal-ultrasounds/

Guest Post: A Doctor on Transvaginal Ultrasounds

March 20, 2012 By John Scalzi 548 Comments

A friend of mine is a physician who wants to speak about transvaginal ultrasounds but whose position makes it precarious to speak publicly about it. So Iím letting this doctor borrow my site for an entry to speak anonymously on the matter. Obviously, I will vouch for the doctor being a doctor and being qualified to speak on the subject.

Where Is The Physician Outrage?

Right. Here.

Iím speaking, of course, about the required-transvaginal-ultrasound thing that seems to be the flavor-of-the-month in politics.

I do not care what your personal politics are. I think we can all agree that my right to swing my fist ends where your face begins.

I do not feel that it is reactionary or even inaccurate to describe an unwanted, non-indicated transvaginal ultrasound as ďrapeĒ. If I insert ANY object into ANY orifice without informed consent, it is rape. And coercion of any kind negates consent, informed or otherwise.

In all of the discussion and all of the outrage and all of the Doonesbury comics, I find it interesting that we physicians are relatively silent.

After all, itís our hands that will supposedly be used to insert medical equipment (tools of HEALING, for the sake of all that is good and holy) into the vaginas of coerced women.

Fellow physicians, once again we are being used as tools to screw people over. This time, itís the politicians who want to use us to implement their morally reprehensible legislation. They want to use our ultrasound machines to invade womenís bodies, and they want our hands to be at the controls. Coerced and invaded women, you have a problem with that? Blame us evil doctors. We are such deliciously silent scapegoats.

It is our responsibility, as always, to protect our patients from things that would harm them. Therefore, as physicians, it is our duty to refuse to perform a medical procedure that is not medically indicated. Any medical procedure. Whatever the pseudo-justification.

Itís time for a little old-fashioned civil disobedience.

Here are a few steps we can take as physicians to protect our patients from legislation such as this.

..more..

17 replies, 3752 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply A Doctor on Transvaginal Ultrasounds (Original post)
G_j Mar 2012 OP
HereSince1628 Mar 2012 #1
G_j Mar 2012 #2
OriginalGeek Mar 2012 #3
seabeyond Mar 2012 #4
Bandit Mar 2012 #9
Humanist_Activist Mar 2012 #11
seabeyond Mar 2012 #13
SamG Mar 2012 #5
CrispyQ Mar 2012 #6
66 dmhlt Mar 2012 #7
G_j Mar 2012 #17
Science Trumps All Mar 2012 #8
DirkGently Mar 2012 #10
gratuitous Mar 2012 #12
G_j Mar 2012 #15
LineNew Reply .
Quantess Mar 2012 #14
LineNew Reply k
G_j Mar 2012 #16

Response to G_j (Original post)

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 10:55 AM

1. !!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HereSince1628 (Reply #1)

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 11:04 AM

2. !!

agreed! hope many doctors follow..

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 11:16 AM

3. Shared on FB

for whatever good that will do. I know I have a LOT of friends from my old fundie christian high school who will be annoyed by it. Although, that's not the reason I shared it - I share it because it needs to be a wildfire burning up the ignorance across this country.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 11:17 AM

4. why arent we hearing from the doctors. why arent they outraged for their patients.

good for this man.

Reply to this post

Response to seabeyond (Reply #4)

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 01:11 PM

9. I think many doctors if not most are Republicans

So of course they won't have much to say about this...

Reply to this post

Response to Bandit (Reply #9)

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 01:24 PM

11. It might be this, but it might also be that they don't want to stick their necks out...

especially if they plan on a little "civil disobedience" themselves, against these laws. Don't want to be under increased scrutiny by putting yourself on record against these laws, at least not yet.

Reply to this post

Response to Bandit (Reply #9)

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 02:28 PM

13. my doctor catholic and repug and would never consider allowing medical treatment to be interferred

by personal beliefs.

i believe way more doctors put their responsibility above political affiliation. and being a republican has nothing to do with religion for many in the higher income bracket.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 11:24 AM

5. Highly recommend !!

I would also suggest people read some of the replies in the original link.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 11:41 AM

6. The doctor should sign it & send it to the biggest paper in the area,

& encourage other doctors to do the same.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 11:57 AM

7. Very discouraged there are not more, but ...

The Medical Societies of both Virginia and Pennsylvania have taken stands against the ultrasound bills in their states.

Here's Pennsylvania's letter:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/82313595/Pennsylvania-Medical-Society-letter-on-PA-Mandatory-Ultrasound-Bill

Reply to this post

Response to 66 dmhlt (Reply #7)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:45 AM

17. good letter

if I could cut and paste it, I would. It is worth a read.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 12:50 PM

8. About time!

If ever there were a time when our physicians needed to stand up for best medical practices and get patient care out of the damned political arena, this is it!!

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 01:20 PM

10. I would expect, if anything an even bigger outcry from medical professionals.

They're being required to lie to and assault patients. Not what most of the bright, capable people who go to med school have in mind, I'm sure.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 02:03 PM

12. Oh, what do doctors know about practicing medicine?

Our Republican elected officials are far more knowledgeable about what best medical practices are, and if licensed physicians are just too goddam squeamish to do their jobs, then our faultless elected officials will mandate it by law!

Gee, when it's put that way, it sort of sounds . . . just wrong, doesn't it? I'm sure our conservative friends will be along any second now on the teevee to explain it all for us.

Reply to this post

Response to gratuitous (Reply #12)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:27 AM

15. what's in an oath? nt

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 06:02 PM

14. .

Reply to this post